shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with my first pearl purchase :D

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I've found out about pricescope just recently and I've probably read through a couple hundreds of threads here on the pearl forum haha. What a great place to do thorough research! Thank you everyone for sharing your experience and providing such wisdom to newbies like me! And of course... I've now been bitten by the Pearl bug haha. I'm ready to order my first pearl jewelry!

What I'm looking for:
What I really want is a very high quality pearl(s) that can be a frame of reference for my future purchases. It can be a pendant (ideally with diamond), a pair of drop earrings (also ideally with diamond/gemstone), or a bracelet. (My favourite out of the three would be a pair of earrings, but I'm happy to go with whatever type of jewelry that fits my budget best) I would like this piece to last me a long time. It doesn't need to be the BEST of the best (as my budget won't allow that), but I hope it's something I can still wear 20 years later and not think it's a "beginner" piece, if you know what I mean.

My budget:
Ideally I'd like to spend under $1000

My location:
I'm based in the UK so it's a lot harder to do returns for websites such as Pearl Paradise etc. It seems Pearl Source also has a UK website and offers free returns as well. I'm also open to Japanese vendors like Takahashi.

So... do you guys think this is doable? I'm also not sure what colour/tone of pearls would suit me best (cream, ivory, pink...) Should I go to pearl stores to try some on first? (I feel bad going to jewelry stores for the sake of just trying and without the intention of purchasing lol.) Also, is my budget enough? And what kind of jewelry and what type of pearls would you guys suggest? OR should I wait until a bigger budget to get something nicer? I'm okay with waiting too. I don't like clutter and prefer to have smaller quantity, but higher quality in terms of jewelry.

Thank you SO MUCH in advance and I look forward to your replies :D You guys are awesome!

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
Oh I forgot to add, if we're going for the earrings/pendant, I'd prefer the pearls to be at least 9mm (but not sure if my budget would allow 9mm-10mm akoyas?)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think large, high quality akoyas in a gold dangle setting with diamonds would exceed your $1000 budget. Not only is the price of gold very high now, but akoyas have jumped in price in the past few years because the supply is low. This is because a virus has been killing off the shells, and also because there are a lot fewer akoya pearl farmers than there used to be.

Have you considered Tahitians? See this pair from Kamoka:

I think you can get 10% off if you get on their mailing list.

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply!!

Do you know roughly how much high quality akoyas in gold dangle setting with diamonds currently cost?

Wow those Tahitian pearl and diamond earrings are GORGEOUS!! The only thing I'm concerned about is whether dark pearls would suit my complexion...

What do you think of this: if I buy a pair of akoya studs right now (if it's within my budget), and maybe set them in dangle settings in the future? I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about this, but I really want a pair of high-quality luscious pearls and drill in my mind what good quality is, so that in the future when I make more purchases, I can spot high quality versus not so high quality... :lol-2: (I think there was an experiment: when you let someone hear great classical music first and bad quality later, they spot the downgrade rightaway. But if reversed... i.e. someone listens to bad quality first, and then high quality, they'll notice it less.) But please correct me if that's not the case :lol:

And if akoyas are out of the question... what about freshwater pearls?

Thank you!!

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
I think large, high quality akoyas in a gold dangle setting with diamonds would exceed your $1000 budget. Not only is the price of gold very high now, but akoyas have jumped in price in the past few years because the supply is low. This is because a virus has been killing off the shells, and also because there are a lot fewer akoya pearl farmers than there used to be.

Have you considered Tahitians? See this pair from Kamoka:

I think you can get 10% off if you get on their mailing list.

ooops forgot to quote you... here we go:

Thank you for your reply!!

Do you know roughly how much high quality akoyas in gold dangle setting with diamonds currently cost?

Wow those Tahitian pearl and diamond earrings are GORGEOUS!! The only thing I'm concerned about is whether dark pearls would suit my complexion...

What do you think of this: if I buy a pair of akoya studs right now (if it's within my budget), and maybe set them in dangle settings in the future? I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about this, but I really want a pair of high-quality luscious pearls and drill in my mind what good quality is, so that in the future when I make more purchases, I can spot high quality versus not so high quality... :lol-2: (I think there was an experiment: when you let someone hear great classical music first and bad quality later, they spot the downgrade rightaway. But if reversed... i.e. someone listens to bad quality first, and then high quality, they'll notice it less.) But please correct me if that's not the case :lol:

And if akoyas are out of the question... what about freshwater pearls?

Thank you!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
• Are you factoring into the $1000 budget the expected customs/duties you will have to pay if you import pearls?
If you buy from within the UK you can avoid paying duties.

• Along those lines, have you looked at The Pearl Source UK website to see what FWP dangles would cost in the size, quality and setting you prefer?

FWP are certainly less costly than akoyas. Akoyas generally are hard to find in sizes over 10mm; 9.5-10mm is just about the max size due to the small size of akoya oysters (and therefore quite expensive.) FWP mussels are larger and can produce larger pearls. But the luster of FWP is not as sharp as that of akoyas.
I guess I'm wondering if FWP would end up being something you would eventually want to replace or upgrade from.

I am fair skinned and I love wearing Tahitians! You don't need to have any particular complexion to rock Tahitian pearls.

Also, whether you could satisfactorily convert studs to dangles would depend on the specific pearls. A pair of studs would need to face outward clean, but if you take them off the post and make them dangles, you may find that a blemish or two that were on the side of the studs previously, or near the drill hole, may face outward now. You would need to have very clean pearls to be sure of being successful in making studs into dangles. And very clean pearls cost more.
Also that would mean buying 2 pairs of gold earring settings. The studs/backs and then the dangles.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a break from food prep to check out The Pearl Source. I do see some dangle earrings that are akoyas /gold/diamonds that could be in your budget, if you don't mind coming down a bit in quality.

TPS grades their pearls A-AAAA (instead of the usual A-AAA) so be aware that their AA+ may be lower quality than another company's AA+.
But in fact, there is no universal standard for pearl grades anyway, and every vendor can define for themselves what their pearl grades mean. So be sure the earrings are returnable.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @lovelygemgem, I would highly recommend watching some of the Pearl Paradise livestreams that they have been doing lately, available on Facebook. Most of the pearls will have been sold but it will give you some insight into what the different sorts of pearls look like in real life.

I’m in the U.K. and have bought many times from PP. I have always been very satisfied with my purchases, but please don’t forget about customs duties when you look at the prices. They offer a video appointment service now and will show you any pearls you are interested in.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I bought some blue baroque akoyas from Pearlescence (also in the UK) a few years ago and was happy with them.

@Snowdrop13 I think you might know Mr Lewis who lives at the top of the big hill, if you ever fancied meeting at his house for coffee sometime and comparing pearl goodies, let me know (sorry for the thread jack).

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
If you decide to go for Takahashi gems, you can easily buy studs for significantly under $1000 IF you stay under 9mm. Aim for a 8.9mm or 8.8mm.

The last time I checked, a 9-9.5mm was over 3x the price of a 8.5-9mm —- AND honestly the 8.5-9mm is *likely* to be higher quality than the 9-9.5mm when you look at them side by side… Irrespective of the vendor putting them in the same quality category. Grading metrics often get looser when you go into rarer sizes like 9mm+.

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
• Are you factoring into the $1000 budget the expected customs/duties you will have to pay if you import pearls?
If you buy from within the UK you can avoid paying duties.
Hi! The $1000 doesn't include customs/duties. But ideally I'd like everything to be under $1000 :D

• Along those lines, have you looked at The Pearl Source UK website to see what FWP dangles would cost in the size, quality and setting you prefer?

FWP are certainly less costly than akoyas. Akoyas generally are hard to find in sizes over 10mm; 9.5-10mm is just about the max size due to the small size of akoya oysters (and therefore quite expensive.) FWP mussels are larger and can produce larger pearls. But the luster of FWP is not as sharp as that of akoyas.
I guess I'm wondering if FWP would end up being something you would eventually want to replace or upgrade from.
Yes you're spot on! The biggest concern with freshwater pearls is I'm not sure if I'd want to replace or upgrade them in the future... Of course, it's different for different people... But generally speaking, do you guys still reach for your freshwater pearls after acquiring high quality akoya/south sea pearls? haha

I'm thinking maybe I could get a freshwater bracelet. Because for bracelet, I'd like something I don't have to be too careful with.

I am fair skinned and I love wearing Tahitians! You don't need to have any particular complexion to rock Tahitian pearls.
I'm not fair skinned so I'm thinking, at least for the first pair, I should go for the classic white pearls to brighten my complexion. But I think I will try the Tahitian at a shop sometime! They look lovely!

Also, whether you could satisfactorily convert studs to dangles would depend on the specific pearls. A pair of studs would need to face outward clean, but if you take them off the post and make them dangles, you may find that a blemish or two that were on the side of the studs previously, or near the drill hole, may face outward now. You would need to have very clean pearls to be sure of being successful in making studs into dangles. And very clean pearls cost more.
Also that would mean buying 2 pairs of gold earring settings. The studs/backs and then the dangles.

That's true! And thanks for the info regarding picking the pearls - definitely have not thought about this before and this is super useful info!!

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
I took a break from food prep to check out The Pearl Source. I do see some dangle earrings that are akoyas /gold/diamonds that could be in your budget, if you don't mind coming down a bit in quality.

TPS grades their pearls A-AAAA (instead of the usual A-AAA) so be aware that their AA+ may be lower quality than another company's AA+.
But in fact, there is no universal standard for pearl grades anyway, and every vendor can define for themselves what their pearl grades mean. So be sure the earrings are returnable.

Thank you so much for checking out the website for me!

The Pearl Source actually has a UK site (thepearlsource.co.uk)! I contacted customer service yesterday and they said they ship all products from San Francisco, BUT I don't have to pay any customs duty/VAT (I guess it's included in the pound sterling price). And they also offer 60 days return (but I might need to pay return shipping myself? I forgot to ask about this one.)

However, they don't offer photos of the EXACT pieces they'll ship you (so basically you don't get to choose beforehand. They say they'll closely match what's shown on the website lol.) Also it seems they don't do customization. I asked if I could have a shorter bracelet than the options on the website (since I have a very small wrist) and they said no.

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
Hi @lovelygemgem, I would highly recommend watching some of the Pearl Paradise livestreams that they have been doing lately, available on Facebook. Most of the pearls will have been sold but it will give you some insight into what the different sorts of pearls look like in real life.

I’m in the U.K. and have bought many times from PP. I have always been very satisfied with my purchases, but please don’t forget about customs duties when you look at the prices. They offer a video appointment service now and will show you any pearls you are interested in.

Yay happy to see someone also from the UK! How much do you think I should budget for customs duties and VAT? Would 25% be in the ballpark?

Wow, the video appointment service sounds excellent and I might just try that out! Thank you!

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
I bought some blue baroque akoyas from Pearlescence (also in the UK) a few years ago and was happy with them.

@Snowdrop13 I think you might know Mr Lewis who lives at the top of the big hill, if you ever fancied meeting at his house for coffee sometime and comparing pearl goodies, let me know (sorry for the thread jack).

Blue akoyas sound lovely! Cool I'll check out their site! Thank you!!

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
If you decide to go for Takahashi gems, you can easily buy studs for significantly under $1000 IF you stay under 9mm. Aim for a 8.9mm or 8.8mm.

The last time I checked, a 9-9.5mm was over 3x the price of a 8.5-9mm —- AND honestly the 8.5-9mm is *likely* to be higher quality than the 9-9.5mm when you look at them side by side… Irrespective of the vendor putting them in the same quality category. Grading metrics often get looser when you go into rarer sizes like 9mm+.

This is an excellent idea!! I'll contact them.

A question about studs... what's the best metal to go for if I want to keep the pearls as pristine as possible? 14K? 18K? Yellow/Rose/White gold? Or platinum? (I guess silver is out of the question right? What about gold plated silver?)

Thank you!

LHethrington

Rough_Rock
for a high quality pearls - in a pendant ( like a tahitian single pearl?) and/or a matching pair of earrings i would always recommend Pearlescence - based in UK, hand strung, all pieces are guaranteed for a year and free shipping. I got an amazing black tahitian pearl pendant from them about 5 years ago and i LOVE IT ! will try and post a picture for you on here soon :) oh and they will make bespoke pieces for you too!

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
for a high quality pearls - in a pendant ( like a tahitian single pearl?) and/or a matching pair of earrings i would always recommend Pearlescence - based in UK, hand strung, all pieces are guaranteed for a year and free shipping. I got an amazing black tahitian pearl pendant from them about 5 years ago and i LOVE IT ! will try and post a picture for you on here soon :) oh and they will make bespoke pieces for you too!

Yes!! I'd love to see your photo :D

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"But generally speaking, do you guys still reach for your freshwater pearls after acquiring high quality akoya/south sea pearls? haha

I'm thinking maybe I could get a freshwater bracelet. Because for bracelet, I'd like something I don't have to be too careful with."

I actually do reach for my FWP, but that is because most of them are baroque, metallic luster, and/or beautiful and interesting colors.
I never reach for my white round 7-8mm FWP necklace, but I also rarely wear my 6.2-9mm vintage akoya necklace. Smallish, white and round pearls are not very interesting to me as a necklace, I guess. I don't crave a high end akoya necklace. It doesn't match my lifestyle.

I vastly prefer my Tahitians, golden and white SSP, and 9.5-10mm baroque akoyas.

As to getting a FWP bracelet, why not? Bracelets tend to get banged around so I think it's smart to use less expensive pearls for that, at least for everyday wear.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm a big fan of bracelets. They are neglected but you can get a big bang for your bucks. Plus, of course, you can see your pearls. With earrings and neckwear you mostly can't see all those lovely pearls. A bracelet and matching earrings makes a great summer combo when it's just too hot and sweaty for a necklace and your arms have appeared from inside all those warm winter woolies.

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
"But generally speaking, do you guys still reach for your freshwater pearls after acquiring high quality akoya/south sea pearls? haha

I'm thinking maybe I could get a freshwater bracelet. Because for bracelet, I'd like something I don't have to be too careful with."

I actually do reach for my FWP, but that is because most of them are baroque, metallic luster, and/or beautiful and interesting colors.
I never reach for my white round 7-8mm FWP necklace, but I also rarely wear my 6.2-9mm vintage akoya necklace. Smallish, white and round pearls are not very interesting to me as a necklace, I guess. I don't crave a high end akoya necklace. It doesn't match my lifestyle.

I vastly prefer my Tahitians, golden and white SSP, and 9.5-10mm baroque akoyas.

As to getting a FWP bracelet, why not? Bracelets tend to get banged around so I think it's smart to use less expensive pearls for that, at least for everyday wear.

Sounds like you have a lovley collection there! :D Thank you for your advice!

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
I'm a big fan of bracelets. They are neglected but you can get a big bang for your bucks. Plus, of course, you can see your pearls. With earrings and neckwear you mostly can't see all those lovely pearls. A bracelet and matching earrings makes a great summer combo when it's just too hot and sweaty for a necklace and your arms have appeared from inside all those warm winter woolies.

YES! The best thing about having a bracelet is that I can see it whenever I want :D

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! So I took on the advice of NY_Resonant and asked Takahashi for gem quality pearls around the size of 8.8-8.9mm ideally (Initially I just asked for the biggest gem quality pearls they have lol). And here's what they came back with.

8D54ACB7-E5F6-4413-8332-E277583A9FCD.JPG

10FD5BE5-102E-4416-BC7A-BF039786E4D6.JPG

70E4881E-72E5-4124-A786-354E8DD82BF5.JPG

I'm wondering what you guys think about these? It seems the bottom two are more pink? And also for the photo of the hand, it seems the pearls on the bottom row don't match in colour exactly?

The bottom pair is below my budget and is gem quality (and after customs duty+shipping+VAT, will leave me some mone to buy a nice freshwater bracelet). The middle pair is about double the price of the bottom pair is labeled in between AAA+ to Gem quality (it's above my budget, but if it's exceptional quality then I will consider!). Lastly, the top pair is a bit more than the middle pair and is labeled AAA+.

Thank you!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
To my eyes, the bottom pair have a whiter body than the pinker mid and top pair. The mid and top pair ALSO have a stronger pink overtone than bottom pair (look at window reflections to see this). They all have some visible green overtone as well.

IMO, the bottom pair right Pearl color is just a *little* whiter in body color than the bottom-left Pearl. That color difference is exaggerated in the hand picture due to positioning nearer to window — you can see a similar “washing out” in the middle row pair in that picture.

The bottom pair certainly has the best luster of the 3.

You can always request a video from Takahashi on your favorite pair prior to purchase which will show the pearls from all angles/etc.

lovelygemgem

Rough_Rock
@NY_Resonant Thank you for your thoughts! Do you think I should also
To my eyes, the bottom pair have a whiter body than the pinker mid and top pair. The mid and top pair ALSO have a stronger pink overtone than bottom pair (look at window reflections to see this). They all have some visible green overtone as well.

IMO, the bottom pair right Pearl color is just a *little* whiter in body color than the bottom-left Pearl. That color difference is exaggerated in the hand picture due to positioning nearer to window — you can see a similar “washing out” in the middle row pair in that picture.

The bottom pair certainly has the best luster of the 3.

You can always request a video from Takahashi on your favorite pair prior to purchase which will show the pearls from all angles/etc.

Thank you for your feedback!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results