shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with designing a spacer?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys. :)

Before Christmas, I bought the matching band for my ring.

IMG_20191221_183005.jpg

It was designed at the same time as my main ring, and because the ring process was rather convoluted (four versions later!), Durham Rose decided to make the band at the same time. This meant the same setter was involved with both rings and they would match as closely as possible. No pressure on me to buy, but available if I wanted it, and at a very kind discount.

A number of months later I decided to buy the band. It didn't go completely to plan - it had to go back to the workshop for a bit of refining work, which was frustrating honestly - but I'm much happier with it now.

However, I guess I've been a bit stubborn about it all. I always knew based on my main ring design that having a band like this would mean I also needed to have a spacer, I just didn't want to change the design of my main ring. I also didn't want a curved band. I know I don't have a design bone in my body and I know my set isn't like... I don't know... I see all these rings by CvB etc and I know they're on another level. But I love my set as it is. I just need to figure out a spacer - and it's proving rather difficult.

I've tried various things and I'm not completely happy with any of them, and I'm wondering if you guys might have any brighter ideas? I want various things - firstly, I don't want anything 'curved' per se. I don't mind wavy (you'll see examples in a moment), but there are various rings that are either V or U shaped, and I'm not keen.

Things I've tried:

A really thin silver band, and it's what I keep coming back to for its simplicity, but I'm not convinced:

IMG_20191222_213912.jpg IMG_20191222_213841.jpg

I'm not sure if maybe I made it taller so that it was the same depth as the other two rings? Maybe that would be the solution and make it 'meld' more? I also thought about having a knife-edge type ring, but I can't find a cheap, thin version to try out in the UK, and I feel like it's not going to be quite right.

For years I've had an obsession with floral rings, so I've tried various versions of this to test it out.

A fun floral ring from Pandora:

IMG_20191113_171534.jpg

I liked it because the divots in the pattern allow the rings to all sit with very little negative space, but it was too wide and busy really (even though it was kind of cute). Also, I guess it was kind of childish. I tried to find one that was similar, more narrow, without stones - but unfortunately, the pressed silver of the next one was too white and too busy. I didn't like it even if the colour had been correct.

IMG_20200123_170803.jpg

Then I wondered if something 'vine' like would work. I tried this ring on in De Beers, and it was a gorgeous ring (although exceptionally overpriced).

IMG_20200112_135344[1].jpg IMG_20200112_135338[1].jpg

I showed it to my mum, whose opinion I value, and she didn't like it. :( She said she felt it was really competing for the attention of my central diamond. I clearly have short fingers so it was a lot of real estate that it was taking up... and in retrospect, I'm not sure what I think of it, but at the time I thought it looked lovely (and was also swept away by the floral nature of it).

Thinking it was perhaps a good idea to use the 'wave' type shape but go more subtle, I then obtained a thin silver wavy band.

IMG_20200207_134657.jpg IMG_20200207_134824.jpg IMG_20200213_152906.jpg

I don't know. I liked it to begin with, it's actually relatively difficult to see, which I quite liked... but somehow it's still not right? Too big a gap? I wondered whether maybe I need the same band, but just not as wide (half the width?). I'm sure I could get one, and that might be the next thing I do. I also keep imagining little leaves on it, like a metal version of the De Beers ring - but I'm getting fed up of trying various things in what is starting to feel like a really disjointed way. None of them are costing a lot, but it's starting to all add up (especially customs!) and that seems a bit wasteful, too.

Any ideas or comments? Thanks a million. :)

PS: I'm sure the pictures are going to be immensely huge ... but diamonds - so I'm not really sorry. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't need to design a spacer. If you just want to separate the rings, get a very thin knife edge band. The knife edge gives it the illusion of being even thinner than it really is, and the height won't make it look weird like the flat band you posted. There are tons of Etsy vendors that can do this for you relatively inexpensively. I like Deb Blazer.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
You don't need to design a spacer. If you just want to separate the rings, get a very thin knife edge band. The knife edge gives it the illusion of being even thinner than it really is, and the height won't make it look weird like the flat band you posted. There are tons of Etsy vendors that can do this for you relatively inexpensively. I like Deb Blazer.

You're probably right. I have found Debblazer's shop before (my eye was drawn to the engraved knife edge band, which I like but it's probably too busy for this role)... they just don't have a plain silver one for me to trial... and I have commitment issues. Do they do commissions? Hmm.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame that is a really pretty set! Classic and beautiful. :love:
I like @msop04 's recommendation. I always wear a bit of a gap between my rings so I don't even need a spacer. If you wear them with a gap maybe you don't even need one either. Depending on if it migrates towards each other though...

Yuuuuuu

Rough_Rock
Good

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Lykame that is a really pretty set! Classic and beautiful. :love:
I like @msop04 's recommendation. I always wear a bit of a gap between my rings so I don't even need a spacer. If you wear them with a gap maybe you don't even need one either. Depending on if it migrates towards each other though...

Thanks @missy!

Unfortunately, the rings would definitely migrate towards each other and I know the diamonds on the band will erode the prongs on the ring. Ugh. I get that's why people have lower galleries on their rings, but I didn't want that, so it's my bad really. I was just like heeey, I'll get a spacer...! Not so easy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy!

Unfortunately, the rings would definitely migrate towards each other and I know the diamonds on the band will erode the prongs on the ring. Ugh. I get that's why people have lower galleries on their rings, but I didn't want that, so it's my bad really. I was just like heeey, I'll get a spacer...! Not so easy.

Perhaps Durham Rose can make you a spacer at a reasonable cost to keep a minimal look but still offer enough protection.

Yuuuuuu

Rough_Rock
How

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're probably right. I have found Debblazer's shop before (my eye was drawn to the engraved knife edge band, which I like but it's probably too busy for this role)... they just don't have a plain silver one for me to trial... and I have commitment issues. Do they do commissions? Hmm.

Contact Deb Blazer and ask her...I bet she could do it.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps Durham Rose can make you a spacer at a reasonable cost to keep a minimal look but still offer enough protection.

At some point, if I find something that's awesome, I might ask them to do something in platinum. But I need to get a thing that I like first I think, I don't think they can help with the silver side of things.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She did a knife edge band for me in platinum, which is not listed... she can do whatever. But since you're unsure, why no order a silver one on amazon to see how you like it?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
She did a knife edge band for me in platinum, which is not listed... she can do whatever. But since you're unsure, why no order a silver one on amazon to see how you like it?

I'll message her - I have searched quite heavily for knife-edge bands in England including on Amazon (after briefly trying on Tiffany's knife-edge before I had the diamond band) and there aren't really any. They're usually either the incorrect shape (with a squared-off edge) or not available in my size.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame, you could always do a band with negative space to show off each ring... this little Gabriel & Co is suuuuper thin, but tall, so it doesn't look strange with my rings.

I don't know if you have a donut on your e-ring, but you can always let it sit nicely inside the "beads" for a tighter look. I don't wear it as a spacer, per se, but it would be perfect for that... and it's not just a plan band.

See how the tiny knife edge makes it strong and gives it height to match the other rings??

CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg CVB with G&Co Stacker.jpg CVB Soli Stack_collage1.jpg

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@msop04 and @missy, do you think I should be getting a 2mm knife-edge (the bands of my rings are 2mm) or should I try and get something thinner? Like 1.5 or 1.8mm?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 and @missy, do you think I should be getting a 2mm knife-edge (the bands of my rings are 2mm) or should I try and get something thinner? Like 1.5 or 1.8mm?

No, I believe that would be too thick. I'd go for 1.6-1.8 mm. This one is from Deb Blazer, and it's a 1.8 mm, but it gives the illusion of a thinner width.
464B106E-607C-46A0-B54C-1CC8B11190C9.jpeg

Here is another cool idea for a spacer... the tri-wire from Davis Klass. It's also 1.8 mm (but it actually gives a bit thicker look than the knife edge). Just a little more dimension than a plain one.
Zina_Antiqued_Eternity_Platinum_Stack.jpg CVB Soli_OPI Gel_Suzi Chases Portu-geese.jpg

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Lykame, you could always do a band with negative space to show off each ring... this little Gabriel & Co is suuuuper thin, but tall, so it doesn't look strange with my rings.

I don't know if you have a donut on your e-ring, but you can always let it sit nicely inside the "beads" for a tighter look. I don't wear it as a spacer, per se, but it would be perfect for that... and it's not just a plan band.

See how the tiny knife edge makes it strong and gives it height to match the other rings??

CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg CVB with G&Co Stacker.jpg CVB Soli Stack_collage1.jpg

I have actually admired that band quite a few times @msop04 :kiss2: (your whole set really) and thought about it as an option. It's actually one of the rings that gave me the idea of having a band with negative space that my central stone could 'slot' into and sent me down the path of floral and vine-like rings. :D

I wasn't so sure about the marquis shape and whether that would go with my set? I get a bit frozen at spending too much money on the testing and I haven't been able to visualise this one... but I like it a lot.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
No, I believe that would be too thick. I'd go for 1.6-1.8 mm. This one is from Deb Blazer, and it's a 1.8 mm, but it gives the illusion of a thinner width.
464B106E-607C-46A0-B54C-1CC8B11190C9.jpeg

Here is another cool idea for a spacer... the tri-wire from Davis Klass. It's also 1.8 mm (but it actually gives a bit thicker look than the knife edge). Just a little more dimension than a plain one.
Zina_Antiqued_Eternity_Platinum_Stack.jpg CVB Soli_OPI Gel_Suzi Chases Portu-geese.jpg

Oooh I like your 1.8mm knife-edge, that does look nice. It's a nice shape as well (I've seen too many squared off ones). How wide is the band on your AMAZING solitaire?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have actually admired that band quite a few times @msop04 :kiss2: (your whole set really) and thought about it as an option. It's actually one of the rings that gave me the idea of having a band with negative space that my central stone could 'slot' into and sent me down the path of floral and vine-like rings. :D

I wasn't so sure about the marquis shape and whether that would go with my set? I get a bit frozen at spending too much money on the testing and I haven't been able to visualise this one... but I like it a lot.

If you order a stock size from Gabriel & Co, it's not custom, therefore you can return it... If you decide you like the look, you can custom order it in your size. The only thing about the vine and twist rings is they take up a lot of space and usually aren't that tall... but it all depends on what look you're going for.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh I like your 1.8mm knife-edge, that does look nice. It's a nice shape as well (I've seen too many squared off ones). How wide is the band on your AMAZING solitaire?

Well, it's varying widths, but my main concern was matching the height. I thought 1.8 was a happy medium, but honestly, 2.0 would've been okay as well. However, I wanted a band, not just a spacer. Here is the CAD so you can see what I mean:

CVB Soli CAD Grid Combo.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The squared off ones you've seen aren't really "knife edge", as they've softened it to the point of looking square. Deb Blazer's are not super sharp, but they are most definitely a knife edge. They are comfy as well. The key is to get the height right.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, okay, @msop04, I understand what you mean. My bands are 1.8mm tall, so I probably need a 1.8mm knife-edge that's also 1.8mm tall. 1.6mm wide would probably then be too short. That's super useful. Likely I'll try that route first. Thank you so so so much.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh ooh, @msop04, what alloy is your platinum ring in? :D

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap... I've forgotten! Let me see if I can find it. LOL

So I can't find it... it's whatever Caysie uses as her standard though... maybe someone can comment.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Ah, okay, @msop04, I understand what you mean. My bands are 1.8mm tall, so I probably need a 1.8mm knife-edge that's also 1.8mm tall. 1.6mm wide would probably then be too short. That's super useful. Likely I'll try that route first. Thank you so so so much.

I bought the 2mm heavy domed comfort fit band, and it matches in height well with my Vatche U113 (which is about 1.8mm tall with a soft knife-edge).

The site above makes silver bands that are 1.5-2mm wide. You may need to ask the customer service representative what the height is for the band in the link above.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're so welcome!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
So I can't find it... it's whatever Caysie uses as her standard though... maybe someone can comment.

That's no problem, your messages made me giggle though!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

I bought the 2mm heavy domed comfort fit band, and it matches in height well with my Vatche U113 (which is about 1.8mm tall with a soft knife-edge).

The site above makes silver bands that are 1.5-2mm wide. You may need to ask the customer service representative what the height is for the band in the link above.

Oh that's a very nice band too! Do you have any pictures of it with your ring? I'm thinking with the way my prongs are angled that a knife-edge may be better for me to reduce the negative space, but that's a very pleasing shape too and I like that it comes in 1.5mm. Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results