shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with center stone cost!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
My boyfriend and I are ring shopping and pretty serious about making a deciison in the next few months. I''ve found a setting I ADORE from Jared. It''s unique and kind of vintage and it''s just me! Anyway we''re now looking for the center stone. He''s uncomfrotable buying online because he can''t see what he''s getting in person. We were looking at Jared (who despite what others have said, we have both found to have exceptional service) and we we shown a .75 round peerless diamond with H in color and SI1 for $4100. I''m sensitive to color and he said he could find me an F or higher color with only a price difference of a few hundred dollars. I really had my hert set on a 1 carat stone, but that stone with all the same stats is $7200, a bit over our budget, since the setting itsef is $2000. Any suggestions on what to do? Should I try for an ideal cut that''s NOT peerless? Or should I stick with the peerless cut and sacrifice size? Please help!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is "peerless?"

I don''t believe that most of the complaints re: Jared are about their customer service. People take issue with, primarily, the quality you get for their (marked up) price. So be forewarned that, in your situation, people are going to recommend that you "buy online," which you''ve already stated is not a possibility. So whatever we recommend based on the fact that you are unwilling to purchase the stone online, will just be a "well, I guess you could ___________," not a true recommendation.

I don''t have personal experience with Jared, but I do know that you are overpaying for your stats. By quite a bit... no matter how you cut it. An H/SI1 Ideal Cut princess should only run you ~$1400-1700 max. You can get an ideal 1ct princess for $4-5000... online.

You say that your boyfriend is "uncomfortable buying online because he can''t see what he''s getting in person." Are you aware that many vendors will take videos of contenders for you? Are you aware that many vendors will send you (a) stone(s) with a security deposit, to look at yourself in your own home?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to google it to see what "peerless" is. Here's what Neil Beaty (a PS member) says:

‘Peerless’ is a Jared house brand for AGSL graded stones with ‘ideal’, or AGS-0 cutting. As far as I can tell, there is no other restriction on the brand. That said, I like AGS-0’s and most other people do as well. You’ll find them to be fairly easy to shop. Check the ‘find online jeweler’ link at the top of the page and search for stones of the parameters you’ve listed and scan the list looking for AGS under lab and ‘ideal’ in the other columns. That should get you offers of several stones that are pretty comparable to the one you are considering and will answer your pricing question, at least with regard to the stone itself.

Neil

--------------------
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
So basically, it's just their label for 'ideal cut,' which you can get elsewhere without the price gouging label. Or you can pay a bit more for the 'luxury' of buying at a local store, which holds appeal for some people. I (and most of the people who post on PS) would rather get as 'much' as we can for our budget, however!

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all your responses! I think his/our primary concerns with buying online are:

1. putting up money without seeing the stone (though you make a good point about how some online vendors will let you see it first)
2. if we get the setting at Jared and buy the center stone online, what happens if the center stone falls out, gets chipped, etc.

If anyone could maybe educate me a bit more on buying online and tell me what I should expect to pay for an ideal round 1 carart, SI1, F color diamond I''d appreciate it.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I was skeptical about buying online, but I bought my engagement ring diamond and now several other things and have been VERY satisfied. I would not buy from Jared and pay their mark-up. You can do so much better!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 2:14:15 PM
Author: Treasure43
tell me what I should expect to pay for an ideal round 1 carart, SI1, F color diamond
Sorry, I don't know where I got that you wanted a princess. I think the first few returns I got for the "peerless" search were in relation to princesses, so I assumed that's what they were.

Nevermind! It does help to know such things outright.

There is a very useful search tool that PS is in fact built around. If you click in the diamondweb on the top left of your screen, or "Prices" in the middle of the top bar, you will find it. A quick search there shows that 1.00 AGS0 (ideal cut) F/SI1 rounds can run $4100-$6800, with most hovering in the $4500-5200 range. There are, of course, other factors that contribute to the pricing of a diamond than cut/clarity/carat/color.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 2:14:15 PM
Author: Treasure43
2. if we get the setting at Jared and buy the center stone online, what happens if the center stone falls out, gets chipped, etc.
Hopefully the insurance you take out on the ring/stone will cover this, but it will depend on what coverage you choose.

If anyone could maybe educate me a bit more on buying online ... I''d appreciate it.
Due to the nature of this site, there are about a million threads on this available to you. You need to concentrate your efforts in Rocky Talk, and even consider moving this thread there (as that is where it belongs).

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I apologize for posting in the wrong forum. Silly me mistook "pieces" for "prices". Once again, my apologies.
18.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Treasure43 -

welcome to pricescope!

not to worry re posting in the wrong forum - just shuffle it over and i''m sure you''ll get a truck load of help!

just for the record, i buy ALL my diamonds online - and i buy a LOT. never had a problem. ever. so dont be afraid to take the plunge, and listen to the experts in the correct forum - it''ll stand you in great stead getting the ring of your dreams.

good luck - and again - welcome!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results