shape
carat
color
clarity

Did Jared lead me astray???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mountainrocks

Rough_Rock
Here''s my latest (and I hope final) batch of questions for Pricescope:

My BF and I went to Jared''s last week (just to look)I wanted to see an X prong type setting in person, and I wanted to see a 5.4 mm Princess (about the spread of some of the 85 pts that I''ve been looking at). So I''ve learned enough about diamonds (Thanks Pricescope
2.gif
) that I wasn''t swayed by anything she told me about their stones, (i.e. The table and depth don''t affect the look of a Princess, the IGI is the "most reputable lab in the world", Jared''s prices are "about the same" as anything I can find online). Their diamonds were terrible. They didn''t list table and depth on the "certificates", but to find a 5.4 mm square I was looking at 1.1 carat diamonds, I can''t imagine how deep they must have been.

So I didn''t listen to her about the diamods but she did tell me some things about settings that have me worried, I''m tempted to discount everything she said, since so much of her diamond info was nonsense, but I wanted to check with you all first.

1. She said that an X prong is a bad setting style because if you ever bend a prong you have to have the whole ring replaced since the whole thing is integrated. (they had a Scott Kay X prong I was looking at)

2. She said that diamonds often fall out of X prongs, especially Platinum ones because it''s very hard to do the initial setting.

3. She said that Platinum is a bad choice for rings because it has no "memory" so once you bend a prong you have to get a whole new head, (or in the case of an X-prong a new ring).

4. She said that most people have to replace the head of a standard setting every 3-5 years.

I think that I want the Vatche X prong, but if this is all true I might reconsider. Can anyone provide enlightenment?
21.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
As long as you get Vatche to set the stone, the X prong has a lifetime guarantee against manufacturer defects. And no, if stones were always falling out of the prongs or the X prong was always denting, you would be hearing about it. For whatever reason, they weren't in a position to easily set a princess of the size that you were looking at in that setting, so she made that stuff up.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Oh my lord, this person sounds like a scammer! Platinum is the strongest material out there, especially versus gold, and to simply bend a prong back and forth, if it has "memory" is a little dicey to me. Platinum should hold, and check with different mixtures of platinum to optimize strength.

X-prong is NOT a bad setting to go with and is just as secure as a 4 prong setting. What a nut?! Looks like she was trying to sell you something else, or desperately trying to get you to change your mind. I have heard of no issues with the Vatche, except that (to me) this setting is a little thin around the BAND for the price and my tastes... The x-prong from Scott Kay is also a very reliable setting, or else Vatche, Scott kay and Tiffany's wouldn't sell it and stand by it, and it wouldn't be so darned popular!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would have to say that all 4 points are bad or misleading information.

mountainrocks

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the quick replies and the good information.

It's funny, when we first started looking online for our e-ring it was mainly because we thought we could save some money. Now, that we're almost done with the process (I hope), We're buying online mainly because the service and quality are so much better. We're not spending a lot less than we would have had we just bought from a local B&M, but we are getting much better quality (value), and much better service.

I don't know how tradidional stores are going to stay in business, they don't compete on price, which is to be expected, but they're also losing the battle of quality and service, areas that it seems they should be at least on a level playing field.

Thanks so much to all who have answered my questions. I can't wait 'til I have a ring to post pictures of.
appl.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh! Another entry for the B&M Hall of Shame!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Not to say that she knew what she was talking about, because it doesn't sounds as if she does, but my first setting was all one piece, including the prongs. I broke a prong somehow, and the jewelers told me they would have to remake the whole setting. Thus, there might be a shread of truth in what she was saying conceptually about #1. Big difference tho -- my setting was 18k gold, much softer than platinum I think.

I wouldn't think Vatche would continue the design if they gave lifetime guarantees and what she said is true. Makes no sense.....

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 2/17/2004 6:25:27 PM pqcollectibles wrote:

In over a year of lurking and posting on Price Scope, THIS is the only Vatche horror story I've read:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/resizing-gone-bad.11269/

And it wasn't even Vatche's fault!
2.gif

----------------

I still have the Dvatche ring Sharon and am getting the shank replaced like Garry (Cut Nut) advised. Dvatche is an outstanding company and besides my own personal error in not sending it to Dvatche to get the ring sized, the craftsmanship and quality is top notch.

Mountainrocks:

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience from that particular sales rep...Stick around and read through some of the tutorials and ask many questions..

wavey.gif

Hopefully the pricescope team can help you through your next venture..
21.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Josh! I didn't mean to pick on you, Bud! It's just that yours was the only story I remember of any problem with a Vatche setting.
4.gif

And, I wouldn't really say that was your fault, either. You trusted that the jeweler knew what they were doing and/or had a good platinum smith. Good platinum smiths are hard to find. The jeweler should have told you they were not properly equiped or experienced enough to do the work.
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results