shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with a setting design

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
sophie, why not contact a couple of the vendors here and tell them what you are trying to do and get a quote? I know Quest will do a cad/cam so you could see the design b/f they made a wax to make sure you liked it. I don''t have photoshop so I can''t help you there. Calling the custom vendors would be my next step.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
VERY nice...for a diamond or gemstone? Either way, it''s very nice....

setred.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I feel bad like I would be wasting their time. (that sounds so bad- like it''s ok for me to ask you guys to waste yours...) not my intention..
actually, i did email Quest to tell them I would be interested in a quote

also, I think my DH will get a little ''excited'' if he thinks I am that serious about this ring. I may not be able to get it for a few months, if that, but I just have to see how it will look and if it is even possible for me to get!

I must look at the pics of this ring 5 times a day. obsessed.. geesh!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to update you guys that I have contacted a couple people about this project...I know it has only been a couple of days, but I am not very encouraged.

What I want is for a pink tourmaline gemstone, just as in the picture. BUT I want to do a split shank kinda like this ring!

I am trying to crop in into one image but my skills suck.

45.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sophie, why aren''t you encouraged? have they said it couldn''t be done?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
well, not exactly...but one has quoted me WAY more than I thought it should be, but we are still talking about the design, so I am not sure where that price comes in to play... I feel bad asking them to go back and forth emailing, even though I know it is their job and how they make their money.
4.gif

The 2nd place I emailed has also contacted me but just to say, that they could do a custom setting, and that I would have to modify the design in the picture 20% due to copyright issues..

***sigh**** and the local guy I would trust to do this is the guy that made my ering. I haven''t consulted with him yet. why you might ask? bc I did my upgrade through someone else bc I got way more than I could through the original jeweler and am now embarrased to have him see my new stone. Dumb I know.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i''m sorry. many times custom does end up costing more b/c the pieces have to be made from scratch. I would think the split shank would surely easily make the 20% change thing. It doesn''t help that metal prices are up, up and away right now.

togal

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sophie,

I think I remember that you''re from the Toronto area. Are you committed to having something made by a Pricescope vendor in the US? I can recommend two very good jewellers who only do custom work:

Stephen who owns the Diamond Shoppe (at Yonge & Bloor area). He makes beautiful custom diamond and gemstone jewellery and has made a few pieces for me.

Another person we spoken to (but haven''t actually used) is a gentleman who owns Carnarctic Diamonds at Dufferin & Finch. All of his jewellery is custom made and he even cuts his own diamonds. His prices were very competitive and his shop is lovely.

Both are reputable jewellers and can fashion custom pieces to your liking. It could be worth a call since you''re in the area.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sophie,i will photoshop your idea if i get it right, ring design questions are just fine here in RT no matter what the stone.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thanks guys!
I really appreciate it, esp the photoshop idea.
TOgal, I don''t actually live in TO, I live near the Sandbanks so I am 2 1/2 hrs from there. But, I did a recent upgrade from a vendor down in the jewlery exchange and I have just emailed him with the same pics. If nothing else, I will have this ring''s photos all over the net!! hahaaa

TOgal, you wouldn''t happen to have email addy''s for said vendors?

togal

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sophie,

Sorry....I thought you were closer....

The best I can do is give you the telephone numbers:

The Diamond Shoppe (Stephen): 416-921-9055
Canartic Diamonds: 416-661-6150

I would try either of these before Josephine for this type of custom work.

Good luck.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sophie it''s what i have so far, feel free to tell what to change
35.gif

SophieRod.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
thank you! You guys are amazing!

I really like the first and second pictures... I have been thinking about doing the 2 bands with just engraving.. or with a diamond here or there.
I don''t like the east/west look, but that''s just me.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
DO you see the picture I had posted up higher with the pear center stone? Do you see how the bands start near the middle of the center stone? That is what I like....meaning, not to have the bands start at the tip of the top and bottom of each end... make sense?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sophie! I really love the thought of #1 for you, even if it''s an E-W setting (I''m more of a N-S girl myself)
9.gif
Anyway, it''s my favorite.

I had to respond to your thread because I am in kind of the same boat as you are! My e-ring and wedding ring are kind of similar to yours...I have a RB e-ring set in a tiffany style 4 prong mount and my wedding band is two rows of princess cuts--very clean lines and although I love that look I also lust after something antique-y and frilly for my right hand.

For my 30th b-day next May I would really love an emerald RHR. I am also searching for an antique looking setting, possibly with a halo depending on the size of the emerald I end up finding (hopefully!). I just want something for my RH that is a completely different style, but doesn''t compete with my e-ring and wedding band on the left.

I''m so glad to see your story and know there is someone out there like me who loves both looks (that is the clean lines on our left hands and antique-ish looks for our rights.)

Good luck with your search and I hope you find something soon! Still love #1 the most, btw!
35.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
awww thanks Monarch! that''s really sweet!
I like #1 best too. I know I am definately more of a clean lines person and I think it is a pretty classic style, but I would just like that "something" different for my right! I just can''t get this setting out of my head and I think it is the one for me...geeky sounding I know.
3.gif

Now just to make this thing a reality! I wonder if it will happen....good luck with your emerald search too!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
so the shank, kinda like this, but thinner so there is more space between them..

shankypanky.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 11:44:00 PM
Author: monarch64
Hi Sophie! I really love the thought of #1 for you, even if it''s an E-W setting (I''m more of a N-S girl myself)
9.gif
Anyway, it''s my favorite.
The #1 is N-S set, only #3 is E-W.

I will try to make it right this time Sophie, though I''ve got your desire to start shank parts from the middle of the stone it depends on the size of it a lot.

Pear is huge, your oval does not look like same size or you are willing to have a bigger oval?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
If this small rendering is what you had in mind Sophie i will try to make a bigger one.

SophieThinSplit.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!

I think so! I think maybe the center head needs to be bigger to give me the spacing between the bands that I am looking for. See here on Diamondlil''s ring, how there is a definate space between the bands? THat is what I am looking for....or, there is this second pic of another ring, along the same lines... again, it could just be engraving instead of diamonds.

I remember reading on the colored stones thread about some procedure that gives a sparkle look to it.. It was in a thread about a halo pendant, I will have to see if I can find it. I think that may be a consideration bc diamonds may blow me to high in budget... unless I can place the periodically along the shank and not side by side.....eek I hope this makes sense!! read my mind please!
2.gif

dlil.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
ok, so maybe I should just do a pear
30.gif
31.gif

which I love too

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
found the other post:

Another option is a beaded halo. I just made some earrings like this - I just took a picture to show you (since I can''t do photoshop magic). I think you need to see the picture to know what I mean by beaded. The gold is beaded in place of where the diamonds would normally go. We did this to reduce the cost on a popular style to reach more customers. This particular one still has 4 small diamonds.

beaded1.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sophie, ring #2 (on the right) is bead textured, not pave.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
oooh I see! cool, thanks!

Do you see how on the head there is sort of a "rounding" where each little diamond is placed? Do you think I could follow that sort of "ruffle" on the shank? I don''t want to make it too busy, but I can''t seem to see how this antiquish head will flow down the shank properly.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
First one with a couple of small diamond on each shank part with scalloped metal around them; second is not split but looks antique-sh just to confuse more
9.gif

Sophie2Spl_not.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... I generally love split shanks... but it's really busying everything up for me with this design... I LOVE the non-split shank (more substantial) antique band ring Pricescope just posted it looks so rich.

Oh I had missed this one though... very delicate and lovely. My vote is for this one with a split shank.

SophieThinSplit.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Irina,
thank you sooooo sooo much for your efforts! I keep coming back and looking at these pics...WIll have to think awhile about this project.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results