shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick from these three diamonds.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
In my previous post about engagement rings, I got a lot of valuable feedback and advice. Thank you all. I am grateful for your help.

I have narrowed down my search down to these 3 diamonds for the engagement ring.

The setting will be a platinum solitaire.

Which one would you recommend?

#1 1.02 ct G VS2 $8051

#2 1.01 ct H VVS2 $7963

#3 0.80 ct F VS1 $5760

1 and 2 are very close in price with one being a tier below in color but two tiers better in clarity.

3 is a smaller diamond but a lot cheaper. My concern is that if I get anything less than a 1 carat, it can be viewed as "cheap" even though it costs quite a bit more than many 1 carat diamonds elsewhere.

What do you all think?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Assuming they are all in budget, I would get #1. VVS2 is excessive and there will be a noticeable size difference between the 0.8 and 1.02 ct.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
Assuming they are all in budget, I would get #1. VVS2 is excessive and there will be a noticeable size difference between the 0.8 and 1.02 ct.

In your opinion, is the difference in colour (G vs H) more noticeable than the clarity? (VS2 vs VVS2)They are roughly the same price.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The G VS2 wins

$5.8k is alot of money for a 0.8 F VS.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Hi. My 2 cents isn't worth much, as I'm not as good at reading the cuts.
But if this is for an Engagement Ring- I think it depends on how you want it set, and what colour is the metal.

Some people like the warmer tone diamonds, others like a whiter diamond.
Personally I think it depends on the style/setting of the ring. If its a vintage/antique look, or set into yellow gold- I won't mind the yellower tones. If its more modern of a style/setting and in white gold/platinum, I prefer a whiter stone.

Again, I hope others that have more cut and fire and brilliance experience reply.

My vote is #1- just based on the size and the colour.

Do you have images of the actual diamond?

In your opinion, is the difference in colour (G vs H) is more noticeable than the clarity? (VS2 vs VVS2)They are roughly the same price.

To me, yes. Unless you have exceptionally sharp eyes or it’s a low VS2. Frankly, if it’s eyeclean, which I believe that CBI stones will be, then the difference in clarity is irrelevant to the naked eye.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
The G VS2 wins

$5.8k is alot of money for a 0.8 F VS.

Would you say 1 and 2 are priced fairly? I know CBI stuff tend to carry a premium.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For sure the G VS2. All CBIs are guaranteed eye clean. They are worth their price 100%

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you say 1 and 2 are priced fairly? I know CBI stuff tend to carry a premium.

Here is how I see it.

I can find a GIA XXX 0.8c F VS1 no-faint fluo with ideal proportions and no leakage for about $3.7k

For a 1.02c G VS2, it is about $6.2k

So, you are paying $2.1k (56%) premium for the CBI 0.8c F, whereas it is $1.8k (29%) premium for the 1.02c G.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
Here is how I see it.

I can find a GIA XXX 0.8c F VS1 no-faint fluo with ideal proportions and no leakage for about $3.7k

For a 1.02c G VS2, it is about $6.2k

So, you are paying $2.1k (56%) premium for the CBI 0.8c F, whereas it is $1.8k (29%) premium for the 1.02c G.

Those prices you quoted are wholesale pricing right? Thank's this is great information and I will no longer consider the 0.8.

I think I will just get the G VS 2 based on everyone's recommendation.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those prices you quoted are wholesale pricing right? Thank's this is great information and I will no longer consider the 0.8.

I think I will just get the G VS 2 based on everyone's recommendation.

They are retail pricing from James Allen.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
They are retail pricing from James Allen.

I didn't realize HPD have such a significant premium over James Allen. WF and BG also have similar pricing as HPD. :shock:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Non branded GIA Xs

Actually this one has VG polish. But you get the idea regarding pricing.

WF and BG are expensive too. I say WF probably 5% cheaper than CBI. But not much.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
Non branded GIA Xs

Actually this one has VG polish. But you get the idea regarding pricing.

WF and BG are expensive too. I say WF probably 5% cheaper than CBI. But not much.

The general consensus here is that despite the premium over sites like JA, they are worth the price difference right?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The general consensus here is that despite the premium over sites like JA, they are worth the price difference right?

It depends on who you ask. For people who want the absolutely best cut and might consider upgrading in the future, yes. For people who are perfectly happy with having a stone in the top 5% of diamonds and don't want to upgrade (or are simply not in a financial position to consider a stone with a premium), then no.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great upgrade policy and generous 80% buyback for CBI. All diamonds are in stock, inspected and ready. More personalized service and great QC/QA. Top quality gauranteed.

Shopping with BN and JA requires lot of legwork and they are having issues with the diamond suppliers due to covid

The general consensus is 50/50.

That depends on what you value. The “super ideal” vendors you mentioned are selling stones that are cut to very, very rigid specifications that are considered parameters that will maximize performance (as a mix of brilliance/white light return and fire/colored flashes) and optical symmetry (hearts and arrows, etc) to an incredible level of precision. They also offer excellent after sales services in the form of a generous upgrade and/or buy back policy. At least, this is my understanding.

At a vendor like JA or BN, the crop of stones is varied in terms of cut quality, and you’ll have to do the sifting through yourself. Those stones will also rarely achieve the same level of optical symmetry and precision. However, they may be able to achieve “close” to the same level of performance, or the difference may not be visible to the naked eye. Their upgrade policies etc are also not as generous.

Assuming the “modern ideal cut” is the look you are aiming for: if you want a stone that is cut beautifully but not necessarily “perfectly” (If perfection can truly be achieved) and you do not see yourself upgrading in the future by trading in your current stone / are willing to spend a lot more on your upgrade in the future; then no, the premium is not worth it. If you want the most incredibly cut stone and you’re willing to pay the premium for it / maybe you plan to upgrade frequently, then yes.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
A large part of that premium, imo, is for those generous upgrade policies. Those have to be paid for somehow. Another large piece of it is the cost of holding ones own inventory as opposed to a virtual inventory.

I'm not wild about paying for intangibles like this, but of course it's a personal decision. I admire in particular what CBI has done in terms of creating a whole experience around their stones, including sending them for viewing and inviting you to meet the cutter. These things do have their own value.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
So now I am having second thoughts because the G VS2 has a very noticeable inclusion here.

hearts202002101317008725-hearts.jpg

I know I will never look at it with a scope, but I guess this is the problem of whether it is mind clean. It's still a lot of money after all.

What does everyone think of this one instead? I don't see any thing as intrusive as in the HA photo here.

Is it fair to say ACA is comparable to CBI in performance?

If anyone can help me decide it would be great. I am really looking to purchase today so I can get the ring before the end of the month.

Thanks all

Last edited:

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
So now I am having second thoughts because the G VS2 it has a very noticeable inclusion here.

hearts202002101317008725-hearts.jpg

I know I will never look at it with a scope, but I guess this is the problem of whether it is mind clean. It's still a lot of money after all.

What does everyone think of this one instead? I don't see any thing as intrusive as in the HA photo here.

The WF stone is very nice. Definitely worth consideration.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
The WF stone is very nice. Definitely worth consideration.

It's also slightly cheaper. My only concern is light performance. Is CBI better than ACA??

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's also slightly cheaper. My only concern is light performance. Is CBI better than ACA??

No, they are considered equally excellent. Some people prefer one over the other if they've owned both, but the quality of cut is equivalent

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
That ACA is nice! There is also another GVS1 at HPD that looks great on the report. It is awaiting actual photos but the clarity plot on the cert makes it look like the inclusion is a non issue for mind clean.

I just want to add my opinion to the James Allen vs Super ideal vendors. I bought a .64 I VVS1 7 years ago at JA for 2,560. It did not conform to super ideal specs. This month I replaced it with a CBI .61 G VS1 same face up size for 2,650 and it does conform to the top of the line precision and proportions. So while it is possible to get a better “deal” at James Allen it’s not a given and I just heard from another buyer here that they are not doing advanced images at the moment due to Covid which makes it even harder.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
I feel like the more I read and research here the harder it is to make a decision. Now I am going through many many of the ACA vs CBI threads haha

Honestly, is the inclusion for the CBI diamond above a big deal? It does look pretty distracting from the photo but I know in real life I will never actually be able to see it. This mind clean thing is really strange.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like the more I read and research here the harder it is to make a decision. Now I am going through many many of the ACA vs CBI threads haha

Honestly, is the inclusion for the CBI diamond above a big deal? It does look pretty distracting from the photo but I know in real life I will never actually be able to see it. This mind clean thing is really strange.

No it is not a big deal (unless it is to you). All of the CBI’s are guaranteed eye clean. That’s a big benefit of buying from them. They own the stone and can confirm this. If you have them make the ring you will probably never see the bottom of the diamond.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope. We all have been there before. And it is agonizing and fun.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope. We all have been there before. And it is agonizing and fun.

I was relived with picking the G VS2 but now seeing that picture with the inclusion is really bothering me. I really don't know what to do. This mind clean thing is real.

Based on reading 10+ threads ACA vs CBI threads I am leaning toward CBI.I don't know if I should get the ACA and call it a day. This is agonizing.

;(;( Please help:(sad:(sad

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I was relived with picking the G VS2 but now seeing that picture with the inclusion is really bothering me. I really don't know what to do. This mind clean thing is real.

Based on reading 10+ threads ACA vs CBI threads I am leaning toward CBI.I don't know if I should get the ACA and call it a day. This is agonizing.

;(;( Please help:(sad:(sad

Did you look at the G VS1?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results