shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick a rug!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking for a runner to go in a hallway. The walls are light grey/blue and the floors are dark wood. These are pretty much the same size and same price, and I *think* I like the darker one beter, but the light one might pop more on the dark floors, plus it could be more versitile in a future space.

Part of the problem is I also can't tell exactly what colors these will be "for real." The dark one looks blue/grey to me and the light one is called beige but I see a hint of pink (both on my home and work monitors). What colors do they look like to you?

ETA: hmmm... let me see if I can make the darker one bigger somehow.

dark_rug.jpg

dark_rug_2.jpg

light_rug.jpg

light_rug_2.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should also say I'm open to other ideas!

The hallway is 2'10" wide and 12'6" long. The light one is 10'1" long and the dark one is 9'9". I'm trying to stay under $500 because given how often I move there is a good chance this is a space-specific one use rug. Both of these are about $350. There is a possibility the lighter one is actually $280 but I can't get the coupon code to work online so I would have to call and see.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
In terms of aesthetics, I'd choose the light colored rug (hands down). The lighter color will be a nice contrast and then you don't have to worry about the grays/blues competing with each other (or worse, not matching at all). However, do you have to worry about practicality? In other words, is this a high traffic area? If so, then you might have to worry about the practicality of having a light colored rug. Perhaps you could stain-proof it for durability?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a bigger picture of the dark to show the colors.

dark_rug_3.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy, I thought about the competing grey/blue thing but I think the walls are light enough that it wouldn't be too much of an issue. My concern would be if either the walls or the rug leaned toward the green, but I don't see that here.

About traffic and durability, the rug will go in front of the coat closet and down the hallway to the laundry room (where the HVAC equipment and other mechanical stuff are also housed). The rug woudn't get wet/sloppy traffic becuase I take my shoes off on the tile as soon as I get inside if it's icky out, but in normal weather I do tend to wear my shoes in the house. That being said, I usually only go down that way if I'm doing laundry.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is the option of ordering both then I have to pay return shipping, and one of them (I can't remember which) has a restocking fee. Given I'm paying so little for these I had to add a bunch of unnecessary $$$ to the transaction.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the blue/grey one and that's the one I would choose myself - but if you're able to buy both and don't mind the return shipping, that's the best to way to decide.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the blue/grey one - it has a touch of modern-ness about it while still being classic. If your walls are light grey/blue, based on the darker rug colour, i don't think they'll compete. Does that hallway get much natural light?

I've found it's really hard to buy that type of rug online - one I was looking at online had what i thought was pink and green in it but the pink was actually red and the green was grey. Crazy. Do they describe the rugs?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I'm pretty much on board with the grey at this point (that being said -- if anyone has any fantastic ideas I'm still willing to be swayed!).

The hallway gets a lot of light early in the day, but it will be on the wrong side of the unit for much light beyond that. Oh well, I guess I'll take what I can get! I'm still not sure if the rug is more true grey than blue grey, but the base is significantly darker than the walls so really shouldn't matter.

Given the dimensions, there will be 16" of open floor on either end of the rug. Does that sound alright...? I mean, I wouldn't want it so long that it would cover clear to the ends, but I am not sure if that's too much open space. Any opinions on that will be welcome!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just bought 2 similar rugs for my hallway, and for under the coffee table. What surprised me was how well they captured the colors on the website. i Have a cream and yellow areA rug that I won't use because of our cats, and so bought these.

My hallway is also 12 feet, and I would choose the darker if it were my choices. I like the look very much. I'm really happy with mine.
Mine are Kazak.

Annette

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I ended up doing for a rug purchase was to buy the smallest size available like a doormat size to see how true the colors are to the screen. I figured that I could always use it in my closet or by the front door for shoes. Easier on the wallet too. :naughty:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Annette, I'm thrilled to hear that the sites accurately captured the colors you see IRL! This is such a crap shoot, and there is a much larger (and much more expensive) rug that I would like to get for under the bed, but I am holding off to see how this runner looks. If all goes well with the color I *may* be able to bring myself to order the big one... but we'll see! Would you mind sharing what site you ordered yours from (no worries if you prefer not to say, I am just always in the market for a good rug!)?

Pinto, I used the technique of ordering a small (I think it was 2' x 3'?) version of a larger rug that I ultimately put in my living room several properties ago, but unfortunately these hand made items are one of a kind or else I would be glad to do that here too. Committing to expensive--and difficult to ship back!--things on the internet stresses me out, ha ha!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1420588478|3812702 said:
Ok, so I'm pretty much on board with the grey at this point (that being said -- if anyone has any fantastic ideas I'm still willing to be swayed!).

The hallway gets a lot of light early in the day, but it will be on the wrong side of the unit for much light beyond that. Oh well, I guess I'll take what I can get! I'm still not sure if the rug is more true grey than blue grey, but the base is significantly darker than the walls so really shouldn't matter.

Given the dimensions, there will be 16" of open floor on either end of the rug. Does that sound alright...? I mean, I wouldn't want it so long that it would cover clear to the ends, but I am not sure if that's too much open space. Any opinions on that will be welcome!

The persian runners in my hallways go almost end to end. 16" of open floor on each end sounds like a lot…
EDIT: I did a quick Google search and found a "How To" on finding the perfect fit for hallway rugs. A general rule of thumb is about 4-5" of open floor at each end (mine has about 5" on each end).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the darker rug would look richer on dark hardwood floors with the description of the wall color too. I am usually in the 'light' camp but in this instance, I really prefer the darker rug. I also think the colors and pattern in the darker rug are more eye appealing.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love hand woven carpets. I chose a rug first and then (somehow)make it work in my house. I visit carpet shops and talk to the owners who have a lot of knowlege about origin, fibers, age and quality, design and number of knots. I also read a lot of oriental carpet books and check out sites on the internet. I love playing around with the carpets as I find a new spot for them. I have not bought a runner as I prefer two smaller rugs for variety sake and more flexibility in moving them elsewhere. Buying carpets can be addictive-your first one won't be your last. So my recommendation is pick the carpet you like the best as it will last a long, long time- you can always repaint.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the darker one better. The lighter one is nice but it does look a bit pink to me.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the blue, loathe the cream! Trying to pick out a stair runner myself .... for two years now. More urgent w/new puppies and slippery stairs. But I just know whatever I pick is going to get dirty! GAH. Good luck w/the blue. Looks lush & posh. (Also so much easier to "install" than stair runnner - you scamp!)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the darker one better. :wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Momhappy, thank you for the info on how much floor you have showing at the ends. There is a natural break where the wall cuts back to accommodate a door on one end and another place where the closet door will open on the other end, so I’m hoping the extra bit of space will be OK. I do agree though, less space would be better, but since these are all handmade I'm kind of at the mercy of the weavers...

MissG, there’s just something about the orange and cream popping on the grey/blue that appeal to me with this rug, and I think it will still be a nice contrast with the floors.

Lambskin, I have a few rugs that I’ve bought over the years that just screamed “Mine!” the instant I saw them, so I totally know what you mean, but since this is for such a specific space I went looking for options with the particulars in mind. I am a sucker for a great rug though…

Zoe, I kept thinking the light one was pink too but then I looked at it on my phone and it showed up as a Very Peach. Oh my. THAT really swayed to toward the other one, I have to confess! Of course who knows what colors these things really are… If anyone is interested I’ll posted pics when the one I ordered comes just for comparison.

Deco, did you say new puppieS – as in More Than One New Puppy? Gah indeed! Where are pictures of these new fur balls?! And in my opinion, pups trump clean rugs any day!

Marcy, you and deegee have given me so much design advice on this project I feel like I should put up a plaque somewhere in the space in your honor(s)!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1420686465|3813289 said:
Love the blue, loathe the cream! Trying to pick out a stair runner myself .... for two years now. More urgent w/new puppies and slippery stairs. But I just know whatever I pick is going to get dirty! GAH. Good luck w/the blue. Looks lush & posh. (Also so much easier to "install" than stair runnner - you scamp!)

Agree that blue is better.

Deco, I'm also in the market for a new stair runner. I'd installed a Dash & Albert stair runner back in May and it only made it to December before I ripped it out because it was so dirty. So hard!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said you were open to ideas. Do you need one long runner? In terms of "future spaces", is it possible you might not need one again? How about smaller Oriental throw rugs? It may just be my preference, but I gravitate towards red ones. I think they look good everywhere.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

PS-I think the blue is very pretty, I was just wondering if it would be useful in another house!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1420691188|3813328 said:
Momhappy, thank you for the info on how much floor you have showing at the ends. There is a natural break where the wall cuts back to accommodate a door on one end and another place where the closet door will open on the other end, so I’m hoping the extra bit of space will be OK. I do agree though, less space would be better, but since these are all handmade I'm kind of at the mercy of the weavers...

MissG, there’s just something about the orange and cream popping on the grey/blue that appeal to me with this rug, and I think it will still be a nice contrast with the floors.

Lambskin, I have a few rugs that I’ve bought over the years that just screamed “Mine!” the instant I saw them, so I totally know what you mean, but since this is for such a specific space I went looking for options with the particulars in mind. I am a sucker for a great rug though…

Zoe, I kept thinking the light one was pink too but then I looked at it on my phone and it showed up as a Very Peach. Oh my. THAT really swayed to toward the other one, I have to confess! Of course who knows what colors these things really are… If anyone is interested I’ll posted pics when the one I ordered comes just for comparison.

Deco, did you say new puppieS – as in More Than One New Puppy? Gah indeed! Where are pictures of these new fur balls?! And in my opinion, pups trump clean rugs any day!

Marcy, you and deegee have given me so much design advice on this project I feel like I should put up a plaque somewhere in the space in your honor(s)!

If they don't carry the appropriate size rug, then I'd shop elsewhere. All of our persian carpets and handmade and we found that you can choose just about any length you like. One of our hall runners is about 22 feet long (again with about 5" of floor showing on each end). The make them in all different lengths.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEL, I can't believe you had to rip out your runner after such a short period! That's such a bummer after so much thought goes into picking something out, and then it doesn't last.

AGBF, I did think about doing two different shorter runners, and I looked at a bunch of examples on line, but there's something about one long cohesive rug that appeals to me more than two short ones *in this space*. That being said, I once had a condo with a looooong narrow hallway and I did put four different colored, but similar style, rugs in that and it looked great. I just don't think it would have the same effect here as it did in the super long run.

Momhappy, I shopped (can you say, obsessively! :cheeky: ) at dozens of stores but finding a pattern and color that I liked in a length that made sense, and that was different enough from the several other rugs I already have, proved to be more difficult than one would think (or at least than *I* would think, ha!). There is another place in the space I can put this if it doesn't look right in the hall though, so I'm hopeful it will find a home somewhere that looks good!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rug arrived last night and it totally exceeds my expectations! (How often do you get to say that about something you order from the internet?!?)

I placed the order last Wednesday, the seller set me up for Fex Ex tracking, I watched the path from Pakistan, through Dubai, the airport in Paris, customs in Memphis, and BOOM! Delivered! All that in six days -- I order things in THIS COUNTRY that don't get here so efficiently. But I digress.

Pictures!

The light side.

rug_light.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dark side.

rug_dark.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Closer

rug_angle.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the hallway

rug_hallway.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That's a gorgeous rug DeeJay! Love the colors and pattern.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rug is gorgeous!!! :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, your rug is fabulous! I love the colors and it goes great with the color of your floor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results