shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me learn about this rose cut diamond ring

nedsaw-p

Rough_Rock
I am grateful to be the new owner of this rose cut diamond ring but I know very little about it or most importantly how to take care of it. Some of the prongs need to be repaired or reinforced but I have no idea how to safely do that or whether these stones are foil backed or not. Advice from a dozen different jewlelers has been inconsistant and therefore makes me nervous. Based on these pics what would you guess the origin and/or the age to be? I've not been able to find anything similar to it in style. Any advice on who to talk with about getting it in shape to be able to safely wear it? Thanks in advance for your feedback. PS please ignore my old wrinkly hands

IMG_0177 2.JPG

_DSC5704.JPG _DSC5714.JPG IMG_0169 2.jpg IMG_0179 2.JPG IMG_0177 2.JPG IMG_0178 2.JPG

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Pretty little trefoil! Victorian, or more likely early Edwardian.
Keep it dry.
They are foil backed so you can't submerge it in water or scrub it.
Dry cloth cleaning only!

You can get the prongs retipped or even have the foil removed but then they will sparkle less. Best to go to a jeweler who sells repair antiques for a project like this. Different skillset. Discuss cost- it may not be worth doing...

I would just wear it as is. It's not in too terrible shape.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh nice! So pretty. I’m not an expert. The rose cut diamonds are set into the shape of a club. That’s a Victorian Era symbol. Yes it looks like they are foil backed. Rose cuts are typically Georgian Period, as is foil backed. So the Victorian symbol with the rose cut diamonds and foil backing set into the Edwardian style prongs is a little unusual IMO. Again, I’m a novice.

I love your ring. I love the rose cut diamonds. Make sure you check that they are real diamonds (they look like it and I love the high crowns, just making sure youve confirmed). The prongs can be checked by a Jeweler to see if they are secure, but any work that needs to be done to secure the prongs should be done by a real expert, or you run the risk of destroying your ring. You can check the prongs with a loupe yourself for the time being.

Do not put in water, ever. Look up how to care for foil backed antique settings. I’m fairly certain you would never clean it with liquid.

Good Luck, I love this ring!

nedsaw-p

Rough_Rock
Pretty little trefoil! Victorian, or more likely early Edwardian.
Keep it dry.
They are foil backed so you can't submerge it in water or scrub it.
Dry cloth cleaning only!

You can get the prongs retipped or even have the foil removed but then they will sparkle less. Best to go to a jeweler who sells repair antiques for a project like this. Different skillset. Discuss cost- it may not be worth doing...

I would just wear it as is. It's not in too terrible shape.

Thanks so so much for that insight. So just to make sure I understand, you're saying that even though the stones are in metal "cups" they are most likely also foil backed?

nedsaw-p

Rough_Rock
Oh nice! So pretty. I’m not an expert. The rose cut diamonds are set into the shape of a club. That’s a Victorian Era symbol. Yes it looks like they are foil backed. Rose cuts are typically Georgian Period, as is foil backed. So the Victorian symbol with the rose cut diamonds and foil backing set into the Edwardian style prongs is a little unusual IMO. Again, I’m a novice.

I love your ring. I love the rose cut diamonds. Make sure you check that they are real diamonds (they look like it and I love the high crowns, just making sure youve confirmed). The prongs can be checked by a Jeweler to see if they are secure, but any work that needs to be done to secure the prongs should be done by a real expert, or you run the risk of destroying your ring. You can check the prongs with a loupe yourself for the time being.

Do not put in water, ever. Look up how to care for foil backed antique settings. I’m fairly certain you would never clean it with liquid.

Good Luck, I love this ring!

Ha, believe it or not until you said club I didn't even realize that was the design but you're exactly right! Yes, I confirmed just recently they are real diamonds. Thank you for all the good info.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so so much for that insight. So just to make sure I understand, you're saying that even though the stones are in metal "cups" they are most likely also foil backed?

No, usually it's either, or. They looked foil backed, but cups do the same. It amounts to the same as far as damage from water.
If you want to see other examples look up trefoil rings and they'll pop up!

nedsaw-p

Rough_Rock
I am grateful to be the new owner of this rose cut diamond ring but I know very little about it or most importantly how to take care of it. Some of the prongs need to be repaired or reinforced but I have no idea how to safely do that or whether these stones are foil backed or not. Advice from a dozen different jewlelers has been inconsistant and therefore makes me nervous. Based on these pics what would you guess the origin and/or the age to be? I've not been able to find anything similar to it in style. Any advice on who to talk with about getting it in shape to be able to safely wear it? Thanks in advance for your feedback. PS please ignore my old wrinkly hands

IMG_0177 2.JPG

_DSC5704.JPG _DSC5714.JPG IMG_0169 2.jpg IMG_0179 2.JPG IMG_0177 2.JPG IMG_0178 2.JPG

Are all enclosed rose cut diamonds also foil backed? These are enclosed in gold metal “cups”

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Are all enclosed rose cut diamonds also foil backed? These are enclosed in gold metal “cups”

No, there isn't any need to if they're cupped already.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results