shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find....the solitaire with the pave petal basket

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen a number of solitaire settings with baskets made from open 'petal' shapes. But recently a vendor showed on on his site with pave petals. I *thought* it was Jon from Distinctive Gems, but I can't find it for love no money, so perhaps it wasn't him.

It was either a 6 or 8 prong setting and each prong had a petal below it which was pave-finished.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks in advance!

ETA. Let's just say that my need is....immediate and extreme....

:mrgreen: :wavey: :-o

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was it this?

olliejames

Rough_Rock
This came to my mind and it is from Jon.
1621637860990.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just about to post the same one:

Screenshot (38).png

I will say that the ones where the petals are open would make the diamond much easier to clean.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never mind what I posted, it doesn’t have a pave basket just on the outer edge of the petals :wall:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just sitting here shaking my head. You people are unreal!!

Thank you SO MUCH @olliejames and @diamondseeker2006! Expect to see a 4ct ACA in a setting similar, but with a few tweaks, in about a month's time. I want to do something similar to the setting I had a couple of years back, which held my 3.61ct diamond. This is basically the same, but without the donut (which I will return) and with the gaps closed in with pave - a bit of a variation on the MWM Torchiere setting, I think. I'll also be doing something snazzy with the prongs to give it a different look. And it will be in yellow gold. Of course.

:bigsmile:

And @YadaYadaYada - the one you found might not be the setting but...gees louise...!! :kiss2:

ETA. I'll also be doing a fairly heavy edit on the profile of the shank. Anything else...remains a secret till it's done!

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
This is so exciting! A 4-carat ACA! Have you decided on who will be making your new setting?

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
Yes - I'm guessing it will be David Klass jewelry. I do most, tho not all, of my projects with them.

I was impressed you knew it would be done in a month! That’s so exciting - and exciting for us to see your new ACA and design!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very exciting! And a definite yes to adding a doughnut!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, gorgeous lady. I am getting sweaty palms just thinking about seeing what you are creating with this one. Will it be ready in time for your Birthday?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, gorgeous lady. I am getting sweaty palms just thinking about seeing what you are creating with this one. Will it be ready in time for your Birthday?

That's the goal - but I just scrapped the design I had and am now starting again.

I *did* want pave arms similar to *this*:

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 5.20.07 AM.png

But I also want a pave basket, and the two just don't work well together.

So now I'm thinking something more like my old ring, but with pave petals:

IMG_2500.JPG

I want to add some milgrain to the band, make the whole thing a bunch more symmetrical and I'm considering going 100% hand forged so I can get the delicate finish I want.

I don't want anything too busy, as I wear this ring (in whatever iteration it currently exists) a lot. So it can't afford to be too fragile, and pave petals is pushing it as it is. We'll see where I end, I suppose.

:think:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wait to see the finished version. The Mark Morrell settings are so elegant (at least I think so).

@YadaYadaYada - that setting is lovely. I'm now dreaming of something similar in rose gold with a K,L,M with a faint brown color.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see the finished version. The Mark Morrell settings are so elegant (at least I think so).

@YadaYadaYada - that setting is lovely. I'm now dreaming of something similar in rose gold with a K,L,M with a faint brown color.

That would be amazing! I love that setting, I already had a ring in the works with David when this came up on his IG. Maybe next time!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen a number of solitaire settings with baskets made from open 'petal' shapes. But recently a vendor showed on on his site with pave petals. I *thought* it was Jon from Distinctive Gems, but I can't find it for love no money, so perhaps it wasn't him.

It was either a 6 or 8 prong setting and each prong had a petal below it which was pave-finished.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks in advance!

ETA. Let's just say that my need is....immediate and extreme....

:mrgreen: :wavey: :-o

:lol: I understand the urgency completely!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm just sitting here shaking my head. You people are unreal!!

Thank you SO MUCH @olliejames and @diamondseeker2006! Expect to see a 4ct ACA in a setting similar, but with a few tweaks, in about a month's time. I want to do something similar to the setting I had a couple of years back, which held my 3.61ct diamond. This is basically the same, but without the donut (which I will return) and with the gaps closed in with pave - a bit of a variation on the MWM Torchiere setting, I think. I'll also be doing something snazzy with the prongs to give it a different look. And it will be in yellow gold. Of course.

:bigsmile:

And @YadaYadaYada - the one you found might not be the setting but...gees louise...!! :kiss2:

ETA. I'll also be doing a fairly heavy edit on the profile of the shank. Anything else...remains a secret till it's done!

@mrs-b Did you work out the insurance that we spoke about? My insurance doesn’t cover during a reset... Will David’s insurance cover your ring when he’s setting it?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Exciting!! :appl:Is this project one of the reasons you sold that beautiful three stone emerald cut (forget the name!!!)? I remember you said you had something big in mind and have been curious ever since.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Did you work out the insurance that we spoke about? My insurance doesn’t cover during a reset... Will David’s insurance cover your ring when he’s setting it?

Honestly? I didn't ask. I just sort of closed my eyes and sent it. Chicken and irresponsible, I know. I just don't believe David and Amy would screw me over if something happened.

ETA. Sigh. I really need to ask, don't I? Sigh....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting!! :appl:Is this project one of the reasons you sold that beautiful three stone emerald cut (forget the name!!!)? I remember you said you had something big in mind and have been curious ever since.

Yes ma'am! The upgrade cost me a little under $20k, which is slightly more than I got for selling Boadicea. Then there's the setting. I also upgraded a small 1.05ct AVR I had to a 1.51 MRB, also from GOG, and am doing a lovely cluster. And then I bought a .9ct AVR to do a new gypsy style ring in platinum, and a small sapphire from ATGGems to do another Gloria Floria setting, but with a colored center this time, having seen the light after I sold my original GF to @elle_71125. I hope to do a pair of J style hoops for Christmas - and they'll be a little under 5ctw of ideal cut colorless stones (super gorgeous - I've been collecting them for years!), and a band for every day wear of 20 point stones. With my side stones from my 3 stone ring, I'll either do earrings or a moi et toi ring. Still thinking about it....

That still leaves me short a pendant, but that will come in the fullness of time....

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes ma'am! The upgrade cost me a little under $20k, which is slightly more than I got for selling Boadicea. Then there's the setting. I also upgraded a small 1.05ct AVR I had to a 1.51 MRB, also from GOG, and am doing a lovely cluster. And then I bought a .9ct AVR to do a new gypsy style ring in platinum, and a small sapphire from ATGGems to do another Gloria Floria setting, but with a colored center this time, having seen the light after I sold my original GF to @elle_71125. I hope to do a pair of J style hoops for Christmas - and they'll be a little under 5ctw of ideal cut colorless stones (super gorgeous - I've been collecting them for years!), and a band for every day wear of 20 point stones. With my side stones from my 3 stone ring, I'll either do earrings or a moi et toi ring. Still thinking about it....

That still leaves me short a pendant, but that will come in the fullness of time....

Wowza lots of amazing projects!! I have hoops on my wishlist too as well as a bigger 5 stone. One day!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That's the goal - but I just scrapped the design I had and am now starting again.

IMG_2500.JPG

I want to add some milgrain to the band, make the whole thing a bunch more symmetrical and I'm considering going 100% hand forged so I can get the delicate finish I want.

I don't want anything too busy, as I wear this ring (in whatever iteration it currently exists) a lot. So it can't afford to be too fragile, and pave petals is pushing it as it is. We'll see where I end, I suppose.

I’m curious now that you mention it - does DK make handforged rings?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly? I didn't ask. I just sort of closed my eyes and sent it. Chicken and irresponsible, I know. I just don't believe David and Amy would screw me over if something happened.

ETA. Sigh. I really need to ask, don't I? Sigh....

Did you send it with his UPS label? OMG
Haha I think you’re brave..not chicken! If I do that and it got lost..I would be getting a cz to replace it because I couldn’t tell my husband! I need a heavier and slightly thicker setting with some diamonds on
the side. I’m going to email him before I start looking for inspiration photos. It will be simple but with bling on the shoulders.I don’t know if I’m brave like you.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Did you send it with his UPS label? OMG
Haha I think you’re brave..not chicken! If I do that and it got lost..I would be getting a cz to replace it because I couldn’t tell my husband! I need a heavier and slightly thicker setting with some diamonds on
the side. I’m going to email him before I start looking for inspiration photos. It will be simple but with bling on the shoulders.I don’t know if I’m brave like you.

I always ask DK for a label and he sends me one. I do this because their insurance should cover if anything would happen. If you send Fed ex or UPS on your own it does not insure. Only USPS and I don’t trust them!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous list of projects!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_2500.JPG

Your old soli setting is one of my all time favourites, so adding diamond petals underneath would be knock out :kiss2: Has DK had any suggestions as to how to get all the elements to work?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results