shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find my gorgeous "OMG" blue sapphire

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
Oops... If I can explain the mess, I will. I've been looking at things & thinking about 'cut' for too long!

that's awesome! You really know your stuff!!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You really know your stuff

If I were to have a sapphire cut, I'd listen to the cutter. I do not really know how many would agree with what I said about this sapphire, of course, I'd rather they do... I see stones cut this way tolerated on the shelves of J. Dyer & R. Orbach because the cut works - and their own fully precise cut styles are not obscure.

Then, color is easy - seeing is believing, I would think. I am a very sluggish buyer, but LOVE to see everything [take this to the absurd...] It is easier to look at things not having to worry about them, if you asked me what I'd want, I wouldn't know!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry I’ve only scanned this thread. I’m convinced you need a bit of silk to get that omg color that holds its color better in darker environments. However I will put my hands up and say there are many on this forum who will know better than me on this.
Gemfix sold one that I really admired I’ve mentioned it in other threads, I think they might be a good vendor to speak with. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphire-bezel-ring-david-klass.216659/

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, quibitasaurus. Enhoerning gems wasn't on my radar. I did a quick peek and saw this lovely but it's been sold.

https://www.enhoerning-jewelry.com/loosegemstones/150-ct-unheated-madagascar-sapphire-gia

But like you suggested, they might be able to find one.

I also checked out concave gems. I'm such a dumb-dumb it took me a while to figure out that Corundum is a sapphire! Duh!! I'm always trying to learn more. So I hope this isn't a real rookie question. Their photos have a strange look to them compared to others I've seen. Is this because they are trying to capture a sparkle? Example:

http://concavegems.com/query3.cfm?yVarieties=All&ySpecies=All

The main reason I was focused on a round or oval was the setting I was leaning towards. See my post above. I'd welcome your thoughts on cuts that would compliment that kind of setting.

Yes one of your inspiration rings was sourced by enhoerning. Probably they can find you another similar stone at the 1.5 ct mark in budget.

The concavegems look funny because they are concave faceted. Which is a different way of cutting that changes the sparkle and optics of the stone. I guess maybe you could make an analogy to a modified round brilliant cut in a diamond vs and oec. One throws off bigger broader flashes than the other (which generally throws off more smaller scintilation/sparkle) due to the different style of cut.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
For fun,

- a small & deeper blue www looking like a colour sample for a sapphire textbook [its pictures do!]

- two less small classics www & www

- a light 3 carat, clean & brilliant & not gray www

I am enjoying the range of colours this shop dares to bring in & would love to see these side by side, for sure.

2p

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...hmir-look-madagascar-sapphire-1-dot-50-ct-gia

This is sold. It can give you an idea of the price from her for this size and quality.
Not saying she can source more from exactly same, but worth asking. I know plenty of people have asked her.
I spoke with her a while ago, she showed me something she stated was in my budget - I declined it without even knowing what the price was. and it showed up on LT for way under what I considered my budget. Whether that’s her being an all bases covered salesperson - or would have been quoted a much higher price than the listed LT price was - don’t know. But it made me wonder.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She always has the most beautiful gems. That Ruby she has, OMG both the colour and the price.

Yes, I never cared for rubies until I saw that one; OMG is right. :love:

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
The concavegems look funny because they are concave faceted. Which is a different way of cutting that changes the sparkle and optics of the stone. I guess maybe you could make an analogy to a modified round brilliant cut in a diamond vs and oec. One throws off bigger broader flashes than the other (which generally throws off more smaller scintilation/sparkle) due to the different style of cut.

Thank you for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
[QUOTE@MainSequence did an awesome write up in this thread on a handful of gemfix blue sapphires. Don’t think these are the color you are looking for , but If you’ve not seen it yet, it may help you ‘read’ his pictures and descriptions better.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for pointing this thread to me. I'm very much convinced you MUST see the gem in person and in different lighting. A photo can only capture so much. These stones are perfect examples of how different they look in real like and even the same gem from picture to picture!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget Africa Gems. 20% off sapphires (not sure how long they're going to run this but its usually the month of September)https://www.africagems.com/

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a big fan of Gemfix in general!

This one looks like it has some silk that makes it glowy: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1296

This is not your ideal color, but it is round and looks sparkly and such a pretty blue to me in the video I just thought I would add it: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-12-223

Have you inquired about this one from Finewater? Looks so nice in the handshot. https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p572/1.52ctBlueSapphire.html

This one has some issues with cut but might be worth a look: https://www.etsy.com/listing/278890...r-blue-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active_28&frs=1
It looks so pretty and glowy in her IG pic:
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.37.11 AM.png

I have pics of this stone https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1331 in the vendor pics, https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ures-of-ps-stones.109420/page-35#post-4611479, if that helps at all. I did return the stone as I realized oval was not the shape I wanted. Returns with Gemfix are a breeze but you do have to pay for the shipping costs both ways, just keep that in mind.

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
@scouty Thank you so much for the great examples.

As I'm still learning, can you tell me what you're seeing with the gem stone project stone? I have some ideas of what could be problematic but I'd like to hear your thoughts on that. So far, that's one of my biggest weaknesses. I can look at two stones from two different vendors that look relatively the same to me (color, size, shape) and they can vary by $1k or more! So clearly I'm not always picking up on the subtle or not so subtle quality issues.

Thanks again!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
@scouty Thank you so much for the great examples.

As I'm still learning, can you tell me what you're seeing with the gem stone project stone? I have some ideas of what could be problematic but I'd like to hear your thoughts on that. So far, that's one of my biggest weaknesses. I can look at two stones from two different vendors that look relatively the same to me (color, size, shape) and they can vary by $1k or more! So clearly I'm not always picking up on the subtle or not so subtle quality issues.

Thanks again!

I am still learning too! ;)2 Was just going by her description where she mentions there is some windowing and that she would like to see it recut possibly. I'm not sure I can even see the window in the pics on the Etsy listing. What were your thoughts on it? ... but OMG that color in the IG picture leaves me drooling!!!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you could reach out to Jeff White and possibly have him cut a sapphire to your specifications? Love this one! Jeff is so great to work with as well.
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 12.13.12 PM.png

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
@scouty It seems like there are dark/black areas in the stone when shot from different angles. Of course it's very hard to capture the true nuances of a stone in a picture. I was just wondering if those were areas where the color blacked out.

mpc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for including my stone in the inspiration pics! Yes, Inken with Enhoerning Jewelry found the stone for me. If you reach out with a budget and size in mind, she may be able to find something not currently listed on her website. I’ve also worked with several of the other vendors mentioned above, all positive experiences! Sounds like you appreciate the need to see the blues in different lighting conditions. Maybe order a few to compare in person (as long as the return policy is good?) Good luck!!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
She always has the most beautiful gems. That Ruby she has, OMG both the colour and the price.

I saw the ruby in person when Inken was in Switzerland a couple of months ago.

Can confirm, truly lovely!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Bron357 @VividRed you two are talking about the Mogok red ruby? She does have a smaller raspberry-red ruby.

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
@mpc your sapphire is stunning. I'm crossing my fingers for one just as gorgeous! Yes, I definitely want to see them in a variety of lightening. Can't wait until I actually have one I'm ready to look at!!

Reactions: mpc

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
[QUOTE@MainSequence did an awesome write up in this thread on a handful of gemfix blue sapphires. Don’t think these are the color you are looking for , but If you’ve not seen it yet, it may help you ‘read’ his pictures and descriptions better.

Thank you so much for pointing this thread to me. I'm very much convinced you MUST see the gem in person and in different lighting. A photo can only capture so much. These stones are perfect examples of how different they look in real like and even the same gem from picture to picture!![/QUOTE]

Oh good, I'm glad people are finding that helpful :) I poured over that thread while shopping because the glam shots from vendors can be SO different from how it looks in person, regardless of how reputable the sellers are because sapphires are so shifty and the sellers are likely working with different angles of natural light than you :)

If you have the budget for it, I definitely recommend ordering several to compare in person. Spend some time with this, check them out in every lighting you can think of (particularly terrible lighting!). It's easy for a stone to look gorgeous in diffuse natural light. It's a lot harder for them to still look pretty in weak incandescent lighting :) And hardest of all is capturing what you see with your eye on camera! The stone I ended up going with is this incredible electric blue in sunlight and as hard as I tried I only got one picture that ends up getting close to what it looked like to my eye. But anyway, yeah, I learned a lot by ordering stones with reasonable return policies (7 days is plenty) and was only out the costs for shipping.

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
[/QUOTE]Oh good, I'm glad people are finding that helpful :) I poured over that thread while shopping because the glam shots from vendors can be SO different from how it looks in person, regardless of how reputable the sellers are because sapphires are so shifty and the sellers are likely working with different angles of natural light than you :)[/QUOTE]

Yes! this was incredibly helpful. As the is my first project from scratch, I welcome the knowledge others have learned and are generous enough to share. Can't wait until I have a few stones in my possession to check out in all kinds of conditions!

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
Yes! this was incredibly helpful. As the is my first project from scratch, I welcome the knowledge others have learned and are generous enough to share. Can't wait until I have a few stones in my possession to check out in all kinds of conditions!

Please post pictures when you do!

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your wonderful guidance. I've received two stones for review. I had them sent to my office so the mailroom could sign for them. They just arrived this morning and I've had almost no time to look at them closely. Just took these quick shots sitting on the window ledge in my office. I'm sorry the cushion is blurry. I don't know how some of you get such great shots! My iPhone seems to blur when I get too close to the object.

I promise many many more when I get home after work. And more info about each stone.

Just so excited I wanted to share. I would never have gotten this far without this amazing group.

sent t IMG_3577.jpg IMG_3578.jpg IMG_3584.jpg IMG_3585.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun!
The cushion looks intriguing, as much as I love rounds. But that specific cushion! Really curious!
I’m really interested to hear what you have to say about it and look forward to more pictures.
Don’t get too close with your iPhone. Let it focus, then zoom in, then let it focus again. Just being plain too close and it will never focus.

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
Oh I like the look of that round! It looks a lot like the one I finally decided on (so much so that skimming fast I thought you posted one of my pics! :lol:) The color on the cushion looks promising, too. Are they from Inken? I think she uses the same kind of jewel box.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Can’t wait to see more pictures of your sapphires.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results