shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Me Find My Dream Engagement Ring!

crashsle

Rough_Rock
These might not be quite what you're looking for, but I was looking through this post earlier and then stumbled upon these by chance when looking at a local to me jeweler's inventory!

I know it's slightly over budget but I'm totally smitten with the second one! Both looked lovely though

Last edited:

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely adore that Art Deco Antique Tiffany ring…. But this one posted on Instagram made me think of you too. Not sure on pricing, you would have to shoot her a message.
IMG_0864.jpeg

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Apologies for disappearing for a while — I was busy with work and then on a short holiday. I have so many thoughts and updates to share!

Hunt updates (part one):
  1. I received a quote and additional footage of Simon’s stones and have decided not to proceed. My partner, however, may wish to commission Simon for his wedding band — we really like his work!
  2. I have also ruled out going the custom route with my original overseas contact (the one with the transitional I shared photos of).
  3. I'd like to hear from Adam at OWD, but no updates there since the promise of a WhatsApp message on September 21st. I’ve checked in once since.

Part two coming shortly...

In the meantime, is it ridiculous to buy two rings? #askingforafriend ;)2 It seems like a completely unnecessary expense, but I find myself torn between differing styles (more on that to come) and have very much enjoyed the research and education element of my journey. Am I foolish to consider one as an heirloom/investment piece?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Haha to answer your question, no not crazy at all. If you can afford it without putting unnecessary financial pressures on yourself and your partner then by all means go ahead haha. We're all enablers here.

The second point, I would consider a genuine antique as an investment/heirloom piece. It's stood the test of time for the last century or more and likely to stay around long after we've gone. I guess that's my appeal to old cuts and anything antique.

Sounds very exciting and I see you've got some options. If you ever need advice or reassurance then you're in the right company here on PS.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, how would your partner feel about you getting two rings?

Since this is your engagement ring, I hope that you can find "the one" that you are absolutely smitten with. After the engagement, well that's another story :lol:

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Haha to answer your question, no not crazy at all. If you can afford it without putting unnecessary financial pressures on yourself and your partner then by all means go ahead haha. We're all enablers here.

The second point, I would consider a genuine antique as an investment/heirloom piece. It's stood the test of time for the last century or more and likely to stay around long after we've gone. I guess that's my appeal to old cuts and anything antique.

Sounds very exciting and I see you've got some options. If you ever need advice or reassurance then you're in the right company here on PS.

That's a really helpful consideration to have in mind — the distinction between investing in an antique versus modern jewelry. Thank you so much for your input (and enablement), haha.

Hmm, how would your partner feel about you getting two rings?

Since this is your engagement ring, I hope that you can find "the one" that you are absolutely smitten with. After the engagement, well that's another story :lol:

Great point, haha! I guess the idea would be for my partner to purchase my proper engagement ring, but he's supportive of my newfound obsession and the idea of me purchasing a second ring for myself as an investment/"for fun" ring. Once I start researching something, I tend to hyper-fixate, so he's not surprised that I've gone from 0 to 100 about diamonds!

Edited to add: Hopefully this is not TMI, but I've been through the wringer with some personal matters this year, and looking up rings has been a wonderful distraction. I think that is a large part in my hesitancy to commit — I don't want the hunt to end because having this to focus on has been good for me.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
That's a really helpful consideration to have in mind — the distinction between investing in an antique versus modern jewelry. Thank you so much for your input (and enablement), haha.

Great point, haha! I guess the idea would be for my partner to purchase my proper engagement ring, but he's supportive of my newfound obsession and the idea of me purchasing a second ring for myself as an investment/"for fun" ring. Once I start researching something, I tend to hyper-fixate, so he's not surprised that I've gone from 0 to 100 about diamonds!

Edited to add: Hopefully this is not TMI, but I've been through the wringer with some personal matters this year, and looking up rings has been a wonderful distraction. I think that is a large part in my hesitancy to commit — I don't want the hunt to end because having this to focus on has been good for me.

Let this only be the beginning then. The PS community is great and as Mary Jane said, we are a bunch of enablers! :p

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Eep, ships to Australia. Nice price...Looks like an authentic antique but no cert.

Alternatively, if you want to get a RHR in this style, I found such an amazing deal that I don't want to post on here (it's that good). In case anyone is lurking...

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Oh darlin', the hunt only ends if you want it to!!!! Welcome to the club! Many of us seek solace from challenging things in life with jewelry...I'm sorry you've had a touch year. But to be clear...it's not as frivolous as a hobby as it may seem to be for outsiders!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crystallized Carbon I stumbled on this one that is very similar to your first inspiration photos and it's already in Australia! It's an original antique, the stone looks lovely but is not certed. Pretty decent price, as well.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Ring responses (sorry if I accidentally skip anyone!):

I'm in contact with Smith now and strongly considering this one. My main (only?) hesitation is that the setting style is different from what I originally wanted, and I'm not sure if I can get past that, but that diamond! The perfect checkerboard, too, which I love :kiss2: Dang dang dang!

Not sure if antique Tiffany is your thing…. ❤️

Just posted on insta and I thought of you!

Welp. I didn't think Tiffany was my thing until I fell for chrono's Tiffany replica (still no word on that, though :cry2:) and then saw this beauty. You definitely understand my taste, haha! I wasn't totally sure about the diamond until the vendor posted the additional video in the shade and WOW — just proving everyone's point about how lighting conditions really impact the photographic appeal of a stone!

These might not be quite what you're looking for, but I was looking through this post earlier and then stumbled upon these by chance when looking at a local to me jeweler's inventory!

I know it's slightly over budget but I'm totally smitten with the second one! Both looked lovely though

Thank you so much! These are both very pretty, but not *quite* what I'm looking for. I really appreciate it, though!

I absolutely adore that Art Deco Antique Tiffany ring…. But this one posted on Instagram made me think of you too. Not sure on pricing, you would have to shoot her a message.
IMG_0864.jpeg

Yessss! I think I remember seeing that one in her feed, and it was out of budget (sadly). Such a stunner, though.

Eep, ships to Australia. Nice price...Looks like an authentic antique but no cert.

Alternatively, if you want to get a RHR in this style, I found such an amazing deal that I don't want to post on here (it's that good). In case anyone is lurking...

Thank you for sharing another great find! Of course now I am very intrigued about the one you haven't posted! :twisted2:

@Crystallized Carbon I stumbled on this one that is very similar to your first inspiration photos and it's already in Australia! It's an original antique, the stone looks lovely but is not certed. Pretty decent price, as well.

This one is lovely, too — thank you! Though I wish it were in white gold or platinum!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Hunt updates (part two):

In short, for now, I've narrowed it down to:
  1. The Art Deco L I saw in person.
    • My favorite setting. Hands down. I can’t emphasize enough how much better the faceting looks in person when compared to my horrifying photography attempts. I should add that I was also able to negotiate a ~$500 cost reduction and it's my partner's favorite.
  2. Smith's checkerboard in the Art Deco setting.
    • I already waxed poetic about it in my last comment, but... THAT DIAMOND!
  3. Lavender's antique Tiffany find.
    • It's not certed, and I wish it had a larger culet, but it's beautiful! The most recent video the vendor posted won me over.
  4. ~pending if I hear back from Adam at OWD and/or chrono~

Last edited:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I love the updates so far and you have some really good options. Particularly the top two options.

Do you have the measurements of the Art Deco L diamond? How does that compare to Smith's 1.55 J VS2 which is 7.34x 7.44 x 4.54. I am not sure if you have heard of the term DSS - diamond shrinkage syndrome.. it's so real!!

It would be ideal to find the stone that knocks your socks off.. you can always change the setting later - if your tastes changes.. unless your partner is very sentimental about the ring.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
This is so exciting! I love the ones you narrowed it down too ❤️

Definitely keep us in the loop with what you decide, and remember to post lots and lots of pics!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
I love the updates so far and you have some really good options. Particularly the top two options.

Do you have the measurements of the Art Deco L diamond? How does that compare to Smith's 1.55 J VS2 which is 7.34x 7.44 x 4.54. I am not sure if you have heard of the term DSS - diamond shrinkage syndrome.. it's so real!!

DSS — love it :lol-2:

The L is certainly smaller, but the GIA report for it looks pretty dang good to me:

DecoL_GIA.jpg

It would be ideal to find the stone that knocks your socks off.. you can always change the setting later - if your tastes changes.. unless your partner is very sentimental about the ring.

I feel torn because my partner is indeed sentimental about keeping antique rings intact and does not like the idea of separating the diamond from the setting, so he wants me to find "the full package."

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Okay so that's good to know. You will need to find the perfect diamond and setting then!

The art deco L does look good.. are you happy with the size? Do you have any reservations about it?

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Y’ALL! Update about the Art Deco L!

As you know, I struggled to take good photos of the diamond. I also noticed some small dust-like specks in my video, which are not noted in the GIA report, so I asked the vendor to investigate.

Well… it turns out the stone was just incredibly dirty with fingerprints and grime this whole time. *facepalm* They cleaned it for me and sent a photo and video. Check them out below for faceting goodness and increased clarity/brightness.

DecoBeautyCleaned.JPG

Last edited:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
That's a very pretty stone and setting!! It's amazing what a good clean can do hahaha.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
That's a very pretty stone and setting!! It's amazing what a good clean can do hahaha.

So true! I was excited to share given the request from many for better/clearer facet photos. Hopefully the above helps =)2

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Ok, one more certed one for you. However, the jeweler doesn't ship to Australia on Ebay. It would require you contacting the jewelry store directly for shipping, but this is a lovely ring at a fab price. Also, another PSer got a gorgeous ring from this store before.

It may look to Edwardian for you versus Deco.

Oh, I'm intrigued! Thank you. Do you happen to have a link or photo to share?

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Apologies for disappearing again, but I have a big update to share: I’ve finally chosen The One!

In the end, it came down to Smith’s checkerboard and the Art Deco L I saw in person. I went with…

*drum roll*

The L! I simply couldn’t get it out of my mind, and I had an uncharacteristically emotional response when I first saw it.

WHEW! This journey was something else, and I’ve developed a deep appreciation for diamonds as a result. Thank you all again for your dedication, guidance, and kindness throughout this process. I’ll undoubtedly return when I am given the ring and can share more (better) photos. I may also need your help locating a wedding band… ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results