carat
color
clarity

Please help me figure out search parameters for studs

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks in advance.

I want to upgrade my .50 ctw studs (bought about 9 years ago from an online store Mondera); I will be keeping these studs and not trading in.

I have small ears and ear lobes. The .25 looks just fine. The .37 looks good. The .75 is complete overkill on my lobes. So I definitely do not need over 1.40 ctw studs.

This leads me to believe somewhere around 1 ctw is my sweet spot. I don't want to go below an I color. (I'm finding I'm a tad color sensitive)

For a .50, I want to hit a 5.2 mm, Is that correct?

I don't need a good trade up policy: if I trade up, I'll probably still keep this new pair and have a selection of studs. I'm an established Blue Nile customer and they are my first choice strictly because of inventory amount and the good luck I have had with them.

I'm ok I think with fluro for earrings. I was wanting to wait until February to purchase, but if I see something that is just gorgeous, I can pull trigger now (trying to let the jewelry fire in the wallet burn out before I start up again).

Do I want/need superideal/a cut above/hearts and arrows for studs? What is the difference for the diamond between martini settings and baskets? ( I think I want martini). Will platinum be too heavy? I don't have an earring hole problem, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm also interested in Garry's shallow/spready experiment with studs.

I would like to stay under $2500.00 but could stretch, and I am also imterested in the $1600.00-2200.00 crop of studs.

I don't need anyone to go look for studs (I have about 15 pair on my wish list).... I'm really looking for input on what qualities you would want to hit if you were me. What numbers/qualities/values am I looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I welcome discussion from trade members too on what customers like for studs as well as what you choose for yourself and what you like to see on a customer's ears.

I really appreciate any comments!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fullsizerender_169.jpg

Just to give you an idea, this is a .25ctw with a small jacket.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'll be watching this one!

I'm very interested in what others post. I too am looking for a pair, slightly larger than yours.
I could just buy a pair of ACAs, but I am interested in some of the thinking about studs (e.g., Garry's POV on shallow stones, some preferences for 60/60s, etc.) and how perhaps we could get more size for our money or save a few bucks on less-preferred type cuts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would always stay within ideal cut parameters even for studs, and especially when ordering diamonds you haven't seen. It makes them able to be used for other purposes later, such as side stones for a ring, and they'd be far easier to sell if you ever wanted to. I don't see any way my studs could be brighter than they are. Mine are Whiteflash ACAs and I have upgraded. But if your preference is BN, then just use the parameters below and keep the two stones close in numbers.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You make a good point about possibly using stones for later projects. I had started with the GIA excellent stone ranges, but then I started getting jazzy and playing around with tables and depths, etc, and there were still plenty of choices in the "ideal" cut category.

Like above, I started wondering about other non-ideal choices that might be good for studs that wouldn't really work for rings, etc.

But, yes, my end goal is to leave a bunch of diamonds for my heirs, so maybe I ought to stick with the standard.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess my most pressing issue is: I know you can try studs in a j because color shows from the sides and is somewhat not an issue with studs. But am I correct to say a F color VS1 or 2 will look better than an eye clean SI 1 and a color of J?

Or is it really imperceptible? And I know this depends on the actual diamond but I would like "generally speaking"

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And super ideal/hearts and arrows/a cut above will look better than a regular ideal cut, or does this not apply for studs?

I'm trying to figure out if 1.2 ctw color J, SI1, idea cut will looks as good as the 1.2 ctw F, a cut above/ VS2....

Thanks.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With regard to settings, some people have complained that the martinis that come to a point can sit too close to the ear and also can stretch out piercings, so if you opt for martinis, I'd recommend looking for the ones with a little donut/flat base, as opposed to the one converging to a point.

As for setting, if you don't have any metal allergies, and want white metal, I would stick with white gold. Platinum is heavy, and a lot of people don't like to feel weight on their lobes. But if you are used to platinum, this might be a non-issue.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have a metal allergy (what a PITA) and my plat rings don't bother me at all, but my small plat studs do. I have to take them
Off after about 3 hours (they are also screw backs).

I'm kind of leaning toward a 1.2 ct E or F color with the highest cut grade. Is that overkill? I have decided I want a killer pair of studs.

Thanks for the martini info-- I'll look in to that.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't recommend screw backs - I am wondering if you are getting irritation because the threads are "shredding" your skin when you insert them. Go for pushbacks. I also use water based lubricant for thicker earring posts (the type for intimate purposes you can buy at drugstores, but don't get the type that gets HOT - plain, generic water based lubricant if you're not allergic to it)

Guess what, as a "K" queen, my smaller daily wear studs are F/G albeit uncerted, and I love them! If the F's are within budget, ROCK them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree the screwbacks are a problem, but I also do have a diagnosed metal allery (as in I even had to get my amalgams taken out by the dentist and replaced with the new composite fillings.) I use a tiny dab of coconut oil on my ear holes before I put screwbacks in. I won't ever get screwbacks again!

I am kind of thinking of bumping my price range into the 4k area and just getting the best I can afford.

Still thinking.... probably wont get another pair for at least a decade (studs I mean), so I want to get a high quality pair I think.

I also am considering asschers, but I may buy cheap imitation if I can find them first to see how they look in terms of size.

I'm leaning toward getting 1.2 MRB studs first and then anything else will come later.

Also, is there a deal breaker inclusion I don't want? I assume crystals and twinning wisps are ok; what about feathers and clouds (I mean as the primary inclusion and in thinking of possibly repurposing these diamonds in the future... so maybe they might wind up in a ring, etc). I probably won't go below a SI 1. I think for VS and above it may not matter as much?

I'm hogging the board, I know. It's taking me a lot longer to figure out what I want than I thought it would.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just bought 1.26 beauties from IDJ. Both are .63, one is H/SI1 and the other G/SI2 but totally eye clean and 60/60 so a bit spready (both have diameters of 5.6mm)

I loved the stones in the store and will be happy to post pictures when they arrive today.

I was originally looking at lower colors, but these are gorgeous and under budget so I went for it.

Happy hunting!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would LOVE to see pics, thanks for the offer!

59/59 or 60/60 knocks out diamonds from the super ideal range. That is why I wonder if ideal with a larger table might be just fine.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I dont reply tonight it is because I am hosting the company christmas party at my house tonight. I have no business being on the internet today!!

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi whitewave. Yes, mine are not super ideals, but they are both 0.7 on the HCA and I think they're lovely. (also under your $4k pricepoint)

tuckiestudsa.jpg
tuckiestudsb.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are so pretty! IDJ did a great job, and I appreciate the photo. It helps.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to hold off until April because I want a pair from whiteflash, a cut above. The pendant I'm making will have a main stone, color H and 2 side stines color I, so i think I need to stick with H/I color for earrings.

I need to let my wallet simmer down,

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lied. :naughty:

I emailed Yekutiel to see what he can do.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:love: :love:
What excellent news! Let me know how it goes.

FWIW, I wanted to maximize spread and am OK with these not being superideals, because I think they are certainly in the realm of stones that could be used for other projects. Mine are on average 5.6mm, which is a good spread for their weight while still being in the TIC range.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would recommend the LaPousette backs, after my daughter lost her first pair, this is the way I went on the second pair.
You can also call Leslie at BGD to match pairs and give you guidance.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuckie|1481562253|4106623 said:

FWIW, I wanted to maximize spread and am OK with these not being superideals, because I think they are certainly in the realm of stones that could be used for other projects. Mine are on average 5.6mm, which is a good spread for their weight while still being in the TIC range.

The list I sent him focused on excellent cut, F-H color (I or J to be determined), eyeclean, including I clarity (as long as he judged it as not intefering with anything)

I'll see what he comes up with, and I also told him I can wait until April to see if he runs across stones at a later date...

I emailed him at [email protected] with his name and pricescope in the title... I assume he will get that..

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1481566676|4106640 said:
I would recommend the LaPousette backs, after my daughter lost her first pair, this is the way I went on the second pair.
You can also call Leslie at BGD to match pairs and give you guidance.

I will contact her next if Yekutiel doesn't come through...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuckie|1481562253|4106623 said:

Are yours crown jubiliant or MRB?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I bought a pair from blue nile. I went smaller and higher quality.

I bought a pair of signature ideal, .84TCW, color E, VS2 studs; 1.0 and 1.5 HCA

Supposedly they will be here tomorrow, but that seems rather speedy so I'll wait for future emails with a definite delivery time...

I want to see when they get here if I like the smaller size/better quality earrings. BN has a 30 day refund policy.

I never did connect with Yekutiel through email. I didn't call though...

So I guess I'll see the new ones when they get here...

Will this link work to show you the videos?

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-earrings/diamond-details/LD07279794-LD07942547

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
darn it... looks like I can't link to them...

Here is the best I can do.. take screen shots while they are twirling on screen

DIamond 1 img_1765.png

Diamond 2 img_1767.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glamor shots

img_1768.png
img_1769.png
img_1770.png
img_1773.png
img_1774.png
img_1776.png
img_1778.png
img_1781.png

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Very pretty!
What made you decide to go in this direction?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please help me figure out search parameters for st

The more I looked at diamonds, the more interested I became in the crispness of DEF colors. All of my others are g/h/i. I wanted hearts and arrows too, so the prices went up steeply. I found a pair this morning on whiteflash: ACA .874 (someone go grab them-- that's the best value over there... prices jump up after .88) VS2 for 2800 I think for the stones.

I wanted to try the .84 thinking if I like the high color and hearts and arrows, I could trade up later on for double the price, which would land me in a really nice size/color/clarity range.

So I decided to go down in size to get everything else I wanted.

At any rate, when you email, Yekutiel do you email him directly or info@? I'd like it for future reference, thanks.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowee!!! Ice ice baby!!! I hope they are even prettier in real life and you get excited every time you put them on! :appl:

As for contacting Yekutiel, I usually call and work with Yekutiel or Shulamit. If after hours, and the chat button shows available, I will in the alternative chat with The evening/weekend rep.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results