shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me evaluate these fancy yellow radiants

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its hard to see what's going on on that copy.

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
Its hard to see what's going on on that copy.

is it possible it's residue from polish? I can't get it off the surface, that's why I'm assuming it's an inclusion?

in instances like this, am i basically stuck?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you feel it on the surface?

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
This is when I first saw the ring, couldn’t see the mark!

Attachments

• 35E4CB00-693E-420E-9D45-D85D9C58DC43.png
    35E4CB00-693E-420E-9D45-D85D9C58DC43.png
    978.1 KB · Views: 10

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Im definitely not an expert but looking at the GIA report it doesn’t look like there are any black crystal inclusions so I don’t think that’s what that is? This is crazy but could something have gotten stuck in it when setting? Or is it a reflection from the setting?

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
Im definitely not an expert but looking at the GIA report it doesn’t look like there are any black crystal inclusions so I don’t think that’s what that is? This is crazy but could something have gotten stuck in it when setting? Or is it a reflection from the setting?

Tbh even when I first saw it in the new setting I couldn’t see this mark on it. Could it happen when it got polished?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is an outside possibility that the table was chipped and it has filled with dirt.
But far more likely there is a bit of gunk on the table. You can not hurt scratching it off with a sharp blade. Carefulluy of course.
If all else fails find an independant appraiser.

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
Took it back to the jeweler and they confirmed it's a carbon spot. I got the "consider it a character of the diamond" and "it's not that visible to the naked eye".

Have to say I'm pretty disappointed. They are going to show it to their craftsman to see if anything can be done, but nothing likely.

I don't think I can actually go about changing out the stone since it's all paid-up, but am wondering if I should ask about that...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi! sorry, you're having this issue.
If there's a cup under the stone, it's going to make the black spot more visible...and harder to clean

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
Hi! sorry, you're having this issue.
If there's a cup under the stone, it's going to make the black spot more visible...and harder to clean

Sorry, a bit out of my element here, what do you mean by cup?

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Took it back to the jeweler and they confirmed it's a carbon spot. I got the "consider it a character of the diamond" and "it's not that visible to the naked eye".

Have to say I'm pretty disappointed. They are going to show it to their craftsman to see if anything can be done, but nothing likely.

I don't think I can actually go about changing out the stone since it's all paid-up, but am wondering if I should ask about that...

I’m asking because there’s a lot of far smarter people here than I and I don’t know the answer. The inclusions report key doesn’t seem to show any crystals - just feathers, clouds, and extra facets. So why is OP seeing a carbon spot? Can crystals / carbon spots be present without being on the key?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, a bit out of my element here, what do you mean by cup?

A lot of rings made for yellow diamonds use a "cup" under the stone. THe reason is to increase the appearance of yellow in the stone.
Here's one we did years ago- it's got a large hole in it to allow light to pass through, and to facilitate cleaning.
cup.JPG We've pretty much stopped using them entirely- but a lot of the rings we see from other manufacturers have either much smaller holes or no hole at all.
Unfortunately, what happens is the gunk gets under there, and you can't clean it.
The gunk, on the back side of a Yellow diamond, in a closed cup will highlight an imperfection.
If there's a cup, it might be possible to remove and that might help a little....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The inclusions report key doesn’t seem to show any crystals - just feathers, clouds, and extra facets. So why is OP seeing a carbon spot? Can crystals / carbon spots be present without being on the key?

It's virtually impossible to plot the imperfections in a diamond in a 2dimensional plot.
Many times a plot looks horrible and the stone is eye clean.
In other cases, the plot looks great, but whoa! A tiny crystal is in just the right spot ( in 3 dimensions) to become visible.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
please see attached
IMG_5775.jpg

I agree with Garry's suggestion= can't hurt to verify....but it's certainly possible that spec in the copy of the GIA report you posted is the spec you're seeing. It's pretty hard to tell from that copy......

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
A lot of rings made for yellow diamonds use a "cup" under the stone. THe reason is to increase the appearance of yellow in the stone.
Here's one we did years ago- it's got a large hole in it to allow light to pass through, and to facilitate cleaning.
cup.JPG We've pretty much stopped using them entirely- but a lot of the rings we see from other manufacturers have either much smaller holes or no hole at all.
Unfortunately, what happens is the gunk gets under there, and you can't clean it.
The gunk, on the back side of a Yellow diamond, in a closed cup will highlight an imperfection.
If there's a cup, it might be possible to remove and that might help a little....

Ah I see. I don’t think there’s a cup being used here. The bottom is pretty open. 8C6D95ED-AD1B-4D71-B922-EFD88C00B946.png

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
Have an appraiser check it is the same stones as the report please.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the diamond in the GIA report given I got it from a really reputable store. But maybe worth looking into. Would you recommend anyone specifically in the NYC area?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
It's virtually impossible to plot the imperfections in a diamond in a 2dimensional plot.
Many times a plot looks horrible and the stone is eye clean.
In other cases, the plot looks great, but whoa! A tiny crystal is in just the right spot ( in 3 dimensions) to become visible.

This ^. Plotting a 3D object in 2D is hard (math) and why any stone really, really needs to be seen in person and/or with good videos, if possible, to know what you’re getting. The OP did that, just a general concept for new buyers.

For the original poster, did the original setting have a cup or an arch under the stone that might have helped obscure the spot. That said, it looks as if it is DEAD centEd - looks a bit like a culet which if you have to have a carbon spot, that’s not a bad spot.

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
This ^. Plotting a 3D object in 2D is hard (math) and why any stone really, really needs to be seen in person and/or with good videos, if possible, to know what you’re getting. The OP did that, just a general concept for new buyers.

For the original poster, did the original setting have a cup or an arch under the stone that might have helped obscure the spot. That said, it looks as if it is DEAD centEd - looks a bit like a culet which if you have to have a carbon spot, that’s not a bad spot.

When the ring was in the original setting, it may have had a cup, I'm not sure? But when I first saw it in its new setting, it did not have a cup and I didn't see the spot, although I may have just missed it.

The jeweler has since told me it's a small cloud (pinpoints grouped together) and is now looking into potential options like laser drilling.

Would a cup help obscure the carbon spot?

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
When the ring was in the original setting, it may have had a cup, I'm not sure? But when I first saw it in its new setting, it did not have a cup and I didn't see the spot, although I may have just missed it.

The jeweler has since told me it's a small cloud (pinpoints grouped together) and is now looking into potential options like laser drilling.

Would a cup help obscure the carbon spot?

We likely need a SME on this question, but optically a cup concentrates colored light return, so I would think a cup could concentrate color and might help mask a carbon spot.

And if you foresee a time where you’d sell the stone, do some digging on if a laser drilling would negatively impact price more than a small spot. That’s out of my league but any been certification after laser drilling would note it on a cert. Some buyers are not fans of enhanced diamonds.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would 100% avoid drilling or any kind of clarity enhancement. They are sometimes unstable (depending on who does it), and will make the stone nearly impossible to sell if you ever wish to do so.

CanaryGuy1990

Rough_Rock
The jeweler was really against laser drilling as well. At this point, a replacement/trade in is looking likely.

I was recently shown these two. Videos and stats to come but I really like the first one D4C637E9-DED9-48EF-8194-863CBFACF485.jpeg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I like the top one. It is the most bright / consistently yellow/ saturated from edge to edge- north to south and east to west.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with @gregchang35 - the second one is very inconsistent in the corners, color wise.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
being si1- do you have the certificate and see where those inclusions are plotted?

And if they are at the edges of the stone- woudl there be issues for setting that stone in your setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results