shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me design my next ring

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hey CSers, would you be willing to post some inspiration shots for my next ring with a jadeite?

The jadeite is untreated (Type A), and has dimensions of 11.6 x 7.9 mm. It is not what I would consider vivid, but It has decent translucency and looks like Jello, which is its best quality. (If I put it on top of a dark line, I can see the dark line through it.) I am posting 3 pictures, one is alone to show it's translucency and color. The 2nd picture is a handshot for scale (color not fixed), and the 3rd is on top of my spinel 5-stone ring to show how it would look as a 3 stone. My left ring finger is a size 4, but this will be a RHR for my right ring finger.

I previously purchased step-cut traps. This is my favorite shape for sidestones for elongated cushions and oval center stones. I have several stones to set, so I do not have to use them for this ring. Their dimensions are 4.8 x 3.2 mm.

I was originally thinking of a standard 3-stone with the jade and the step-cut traps. Now that I have my spinel 5-stone, that seems boring and too much of the same design. I am thinking of a vintage-style WG metal halo (no diamonds) with or without the traps. The metal halo could have engraving. Do you have any ideas or inspiration pics? This would be a RHR.

Thank you!

img_5277_fix.jpg

img_7706.jpg

img_7707.jpg

_29404.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone!!!

I actually really like the 3-stone concept. It looks very elegant on your hand based on the second photo :love: :love:

Here is an example of an engraved halo. This is owned by Rika and made by Singlestone:

_29407.jpg

_29408.jpg

_29409.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or a tapered shank which creates the same lines as a 3-stone.
This photo is taken at a Singlestone trunkshow.

_29411.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, that metal halo is so beautiful! Thank you, Acinom.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am partial to east/west stone orientation for an oval and would be tempted to use this as a template:

faycullen_ruby_ring.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
also think this would work with east/west orientation:

_29416.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do a Marc Williams style bezel with rich gold.

marc_williams_hearts.jpg

fbb3834082fbcccf41f7e873fc892d3a.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, MZ. I hadn't considered doing E-W.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My setting contributions:

Simple one for day wear:
a944__1_.jpg

I love this design with graduating steps on the side:
img_1170.jpg

I love this setting for a cabochon jadeite, however, I would bezel the centre stone:
img_0985.jpg

I like this one looking from the top, with plain shank, and a much lower basket:
c116__1_.jpg

Have fun and I look forward to seeing the finished ring.

DK :))

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What would you do with the traps if you don't use them for the jadeite?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love your jadeite stone. Do you want yellow or white gold?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this will be very elegant for the jadeite and will not outshine it, as suggested by dk. I would prefer that the rounds be replaced by baguettes or elongated ECs.

img_7711.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DK and Chrono. I like the graduating steps, and agree that it would look with baguettes. I've posted a setting with baguettes in this design my spinel reset threads. I think, however, that I prefer a cushion or emerald cut center stone for this design. A chunky halo is also a good option.

Elle, I have a square cushion and an elongated cushion spinel that would look great with the traps. However, I am not planning on setting these spinels for a long time. I guess I could just hang on the the side stones, but I've never done that. I've always been set on a trap 3-stone setting with the jadeite, so I am surprised that I don't want another standard side stone ring after the spinel ring.

Thanks, Lovinggems. Are you a jadeite person? I am going to do a white metal. I am not a yellow gold fan, even though my wedding band is YG (not my choice :wink2: ).

My concern about the jadeite is that it's Moh's hardness is only 6-7, so I am thinking I would have to bezel it to protect it, therefore I was leaning towards a metal bezel. A diamond halo is also delicate itself.

Any metal bezels with substantial (not melee) side stones out there? Would that look odd?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jadeite might be low on the MOH scale but it is extremely tough due to its intertwining fibrous growth. The added protection of a bezel is unnecessary unless you love the look.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1429888530|3867146 said:
Jadeite might be low on the MOH scale but it is extremely tough due to its intertwining fibrous growth. The added protection of a bezel is unnecessary unless you love the look.
Chrono, I thought that nephrite had a intertwined fibrous structure and was much tougher than jadeite, which has a granular composition.

I know that jadeite itself can be tough, but my piece is not particularly thick at 4 mm, and it tapers at the edges to a knife edge. If it takes a hit from the edge, it will break. I think you always have to take into consideration the thickness and shape of the material when considering if it needs to protection. For instance, even for nephrite, I would protect corners in a ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1429890118|3867160 said:
Chrono, I thought that nephrite had a intertwined fibrous structure and was much tougher than jadeite, which has a granular composition.

I know that jadeite itself can be tough, but my piece is not particularly thick at 4 mm, and it tapers at the edges to a knife edge. If it takes a hit from the edge, it will break. I think you always have to take into consideration the thickness and shape of the material when considering if it needs to protection. For instance, even for nephrite, I would protect corners in a ring.

Once again, great information, Preg.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Our own Acinom just posted a beautiful pic of an engraved metal halo:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paraiba-in-platinum-or-rg-engraving-or-not-poll.212115/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paraiba-in-platinum-or-rg-engraving-or-not-poll.212115/page-3[/URL]

I am also having this ring made by David Klass, so this is a great preview of options.

I also found this. I could do this with black diamonds. Has anyone done a custom onyx halo? I even like the use of the yellow and white gold for bezels. Hmm, I am thinking white gold bezel for the traps, yellow gold bezel for the jadeite, and adding milgrain.

lofty_jadeonyxring.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1429900253|3867242 said:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paraiba-in-platinum-or-rg-engraving-or-not-poll.212115/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paraiba-in-platinum-or-rg-engraving-or-not-poll.212115/page-3[/URL]

I am also having this ring made by David Klass, so this is a great preview of options.

Aww, thank you Pregcurious!

I love it that you will work with David again. His quality and pricing are great, isn't it?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and it is so great to work with him.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1429900253|3867242 said:

I also found this. I could do this with black diamonds. Has anyone done a custom onyx halo?

This is gorgeous.

Black spinel?

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

Wait, wait, you're both (mostly) right. From the University of Texas at Austin Geology Dept. website www.geo.utexas.edu::
"Jadeite is a sodium-rich aluminous pyroxene; nephrite is a fine-grained, calcium-rich, magnesium, iron, aluminous amphibole. All jade is composed of fine-grained, highly intergrown, interlocking ("matted" or "felted" texture, like asbestos or felt) crystals of one or both of these minerals. Though neither mineral is very hard (6-7), jade is one of the toughest gem minerals known because of the intergrown nature of the individual crystals."

That stone is fabulous; I love your analogy to green jell-o, I often relate gem colors to foods =) Given the sharp edge, I agree a bezel is a good idea. I like the first one dk168 posted, a clean bezel with a few small diamonds on the side. It makes the jadeite the *star*.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Pregcurious I love jadeite and green in general, I would like to get a jadeite and chrysoprase cab, they're on my wishlist!
Here's 2 pics with square cut diamonds.

_29489.jpg

_29490.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a long green cab (tsavorite) that I put in a donut type halo mount with lots of bling.

However, depending on your taste (I'm a halo nut), that ring would be very elegant with small traps, bullets or trillions, in a three stone. The biggest issue is getting the proportions of side stones to cabochon just right.

r6544-3wx_1_.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
PieAreSquared|1429905960|3867293 said:

Wait, wait, you're both (mostly) right. From the University of Texas at Austin Geology Dept. website www.geo.utexas.edu:::
"Jadeite is a sodium-rich aluminous pyroxene; nephrite is a fine-grained, calcium-rich, magnesium, iron, aluminous amphibole. All jade is composed of fine-grained, highly intergrown, interlocking ("matted" or "felted" texture, like asbestos or felt) crystals of one or both of these minerals. Though neither mineral is very hard (6-7), jade is one of the toughest gem minerals known because of the intergrown nature of the individual crystals."

That stone is fabulous; I love your analogy to green jell-o, I often relate gem colors to foods =) Given the sharp edge, I agree a bezel is a good idea. I like the first one dk168 posted, a clean bezel with a few small diamonds on the side. It makes the jadeite the *star*.
Thanks Pr^2. I looked it up at GIA, and it says jadeite is made of interlocking crystals, but nephrite is interlocking fibers.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems, I would love to see your jadeite when you get it. It is really hard to find one that has good translucence. I've seen many, and it is not hard to find one that had a bright apple green color, but I am guessing many of those are dyed? I also saw a lot of forest green jade, which I was not sure was jadeite or nephrite. I never saw any ice jade (clear white).

TL, that is a lovely ring. I keep on buying larger and larger stones, and that one looks like a honker.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful piece...I love jade and should wear it more often.

+1 on durability. I have an oval jade ring from my godfather. The jade isn't deep and is set E-W in a simple semi-bezel. I wore it every day for years back when I wasn't quite so careful with my jewelry. It never showed any signs of wear.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1429928034|3867433 said:
Lovinggems, I would love to see your jadeite when you get it. It is really hard to find one that has good translucence. I've seen many, and it is not hard to find one that had a bright apple green color, but I am guessing many of those are dyed? I also saw a lot of forest green jade, which I was not sure was jadeite or nephrite. I never saw any ice jade (clear white).

TL, that is a lovely ring. I keep on buying larger and larger stones, and that one looks like a honker.

It'll be difficult for me to get one where I live, do you attend many gem shows? Mine are dismal. I might go for a vintage ring from a reputable seller. Right now my funds are used for buying pearls. :bigsmile:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Lilmosun, can you post your jadeite? I would love to see it.

Lovinggems, I've only ever been to one gem show, and that was Intergem this past February. I think it's very hard to find jadeite in the US, but a place like Lang's has several nice finished pieces.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1430099276|3868242 said:
Lilmosun, can you post your jadeite? I would love to see it.

Lovinggems, I've only ever been to one gem show, and that was Intergem this past February. I think it's very hard to find jadeite in the US, but a place like Lang's has several nice finished pieces.
I did head straight for the website after viewing your thread, I love the necklace and bangle set on there. :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts about a setting Preg?
Do you already have some preferences?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results