shape
carat
color
clarity

please help me decide between martini and basket for earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dmarielevin

Rough_Rock
Help, I''m not sure what to go with. I''m getting new earrings made (1 carat each) by Leon and I thought I wanted martini but he is saying that he likes basket settings better. What do you all think? I''m also getting them made with jackets so they will look like his Belgium model (I''d post a pic but I''m not sure how). I''m afraid the baskets will droop and there will be too much metal... I don''t know?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ack, I don''t know what to say. When we choose a designer, after giving it so much thought, I always feel like we should *listen* carefully to what he/she has to say. But that being said, I have personally had two pairs of martini studs (current pair is ~1.5 tcw) and I love that style because they nestle into your earlobe and absolutely do not droop.

I think basket styles are LOVELY, but I have yet to see a pair that doesn''t droop, and especially in the size you are getting (which, BTW, is my DREAM size!
30.gif
) But maybe Leon has some idea(s) for basket settings that don''t droop? Do you have any photos or links you could post?

When I finally upgrade to my forever pair of studs I will likely consider Leon for a beautiful, special setting, so I am particularly interested in what he has to say. Please keep us posted! Thank you!

Lynn

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I know what Lynn is saying about picking someone like Leon, and then listening to him. However, Leon is a man, and I doubt he''s worn these two styles. Someone correct me if I''m wrong and he has a pierced ear.
5.gif

I, on the other hand, have worn both, and I would say get the Martini''s, hands down. They, without a doubt, sit better on the ear, and as Lynn said, just nestle into it perfectly.

So, I vote Martini.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
My SIL has very droopy lobes
8.gif
. Has never been able to wear weighty earrings as her piercing falls much lower than most, and her lobe nearly flips backwards with a normal earring. The martini is the only thing that distributes the weight or the fulcrum of center into her lobe as apposed to sitting on top of the lobe. This style works for her.

So I would also take in to account the shape of my lobe and placement of MY piercing before I chose a type. I would always lean towards the martini...but when the master speaks...Leon...I would listen to his insight and allow it to carry more weight in my decision.

I realize you would be wasting the time of the sales team...but can''t you take a trip to the local jeweler and try on a basket...and a martini there? It may only be a CZ that they have or maybe 3/4 carat...it may not be exact, but it may give you an idea of how this will fall on your lobe.

Congrats!!! They are going to be yummy...no matter what you chose.

DKS

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
here are the leon earrings- I can not tell if these are martini or basket. I know another PSers had jackets made with martini by leon and they looked amazing. I will try to find pic. i agree that martini sit MUCH better for 1 ct.

Lm belgium earrings.jpg

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
I have one carat each basket settings and they droop. One ear is pierced a bit lower than the other and it is really hard to get them to stay up. Especially on the "low" ear. When they droop, they do not catch as much light. My studs are H&A, so of course I want the sparlke, but it is very hard to keep them up. I bought them 4 years ago and I didn''t know about martinis then. I covet those leon martinis with the halo jackets. I have bought 2 pairs of special backs to anchor mine onto my ear and it is still hit or miss.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Wow, just saw that other thread with the LM studs and 2-sided pave jackets. OHMYWORD, how did I ever MISS that thread?!!
30.gif
Thanks for the link!

OK, QUESTION, please. I notice that Leon''s martini''s have a small "donut" at the base of the head... other martini settings don''t seem to have that. Do we know if that small donut would still allow the earrings to nestle down into the lobe snugly? For me, that is paramount in a martini setting!

I must know this, as I am gathering info now for my next (and hopefully final!) upgrade to approx. 2c tcw and I want a really special, but simple, platinum martini setting!!!

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
Lynn-

What''s the matter? Are your ears cold?

dmarielevin

Rough_Rock
Oh my... thank you all so much for your help!!! It seems that the martini are the way to go. This is what I origanally liked but I was a little confused after talking to Leon. I went to the mall today and tried on 2ctw matini and they looked great! (what great advice to try on both types- can''t believe I didn''t think of it :) ) Thank you also for posting the leon earrings with jackets (I forgot who did this, sorry - it was so helpfull!) Those are just what I want him to make me but without so much space between the main stone and the jacket. I am a little confused about the doughnut that leon has - (what does this mean? Please explain...) I think to the average person this seems pretty nit picky, but these babies have got to last me a long time and I want them to be perfect!!! :) Thanks again for the help!!!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Donut...is the little round ring that you see on the post. Then from the donut he has his three martini prongs jetting out.

Most martinis I have seen have no donut. They are more slender when they (the 3 martini prongs) meet the post. They come more to a V.

If they are more slender they will fit into your piercing...into the hole. But if the donut is larger than your piercing hole...it will obviously sit on top of your lobe.

Sorry about the length of that description...couldn't seem to get it out with less words!!

DKS

Oh as it was said what you are looking at in that image is the halo ring basket. It is possible that that basket has to have more strength there and he made the jacket with a donut base. It is not known by looking at those images if the earring itself has no donut.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
martini. i had basket and they did droop. i have had martini for a while and love them.

dmarielevin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the imput! I see what you are saying about the doughnut in Leon''s martini vs the ones that come to more of a point. I''m a little concerned about how Leon''s will sit on the ear. Do you all think it will make a difference? Another question: do you guys think the earrings will look too big with the jackets? I saw the belgium earrings on Leon''s website and fell in love with them and thought they would be great for dressy occasions- but now I''m wondering if they will be a bit much.

Thanks for the help!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have tiny ears and baskets project too much for me. My only complaint about my martinis is they get gunky very quickly! I wear them 24/7, but have to clean with a little pointed dental toothbrush on the pavilion.

dmarielevin

Rough_Rock
I just spoke with Leon regarding the earrings. He said he could do the martini that come more to a point and don''t have the donut. He still says baskets droop less, which is so strange since it is different than everyones experience. I''m going with the martini though, I really like that look.

Regarding the jackets- he says they won''t look just like the belgium and will have a space between the stone and the pave (just like the other pricescoper''s that were posted). Do you guys like this look? It is different than the belgium and I''m not sure... Will it be too much with 1ct each?

I''m driving myself crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results