shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me chose diamond stud earrings-my first earrings ever

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(Don't buy a Tiffany, just get a feel for their colors)

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Are your starter earring little balls or stones? I ask because not everyone is comfortable sleeping with stones in their ears. I'm one of those. I actually prefer continuous/endless hooks more than anything. I like them big enough to loop over my earlobe, but not jam into my head. So, until you are out of the 'training wheel' period, you might want to stick with the official starters.=)2

My preferred earring style for sleeping.
upload_2017-10-24_21-2-53.png

thank you, my starter ones are stones, and feel fine in them. And the only reason they are still in my ears is because i have nothing else:D

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
If you live in la, go to Tiffany and try on h and I color studs. You will get a better sense of what the whiteflash and Brian Gavin studs will look like vs uncertified stones from a local vendor.

Just my opinion....

Im too lazy/busy to do this :). It will also be useless bec Im going to think everything is sparkly and nice and I will like it all. The truth is that I think I will be equally as happy with H or I or J studs as long as the cut is great. I am sure in the future I will become more familiar with colors and what I truly love but right now I am not yet picky..

Also, i will most likely trade up in a year or so and then I may have a better idea of just what I want!

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you live in la, go to Tiffany and try on h and I color studs. You will get a better sense of what the whiteflash and Brian Gavin studs will look like vs uncertified stones from a local vendor.

Just my opinion....

Just my opinion....
I do think seeing colors in person are helpful, but Tiffany grades their own diamonds. So, it may be more useful to go to something better than a big-box/mall but not quite at Tiffany level to see GIA graded stones. If there is a Diamond Exchange near you, I've had good service there (although never bought from them).

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
I do think seeing colors in person are helpful, but Tiffany grades their own diamonds. So, it may be more useful to go to something better than a big-box/mall but not quite at Tiffany level to see GIA graded stones. If there is a Diamond Exchange near you, I've had good service there (although never bought from them).

thx, I am ok without going to see any more colors in person. Im open to H/I/J. Im going to appreciate them so much anyway and I just want them to be beautiful and well cut diamonds..

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
If you want to share your parameters- and want to purchase online- post them here & im sure members will oblige with helping you hunt! Or call companies directly if you are in US.

Good luck!!

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
If you want to share your parameters- and want to purchase online- post them here & im sure members will oblige with helping you hunt! Or call companies directly if you are in US.

Good luck!!

THANK YOU! Here goes the fun part! I am looking for:

total weight 1.35-1.45
color :H-J
clarity: VS2-SI2
cut: ideal/excellent

Oh one more question, is James Allen recommended? I did a search there and they seemed to have a bigger selection/lower prices on what I was looking for.

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
Final part is - what's your budget?

James Allen - is one of the retailers often mentioned/included when searching for stones!

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Final part is - what's your budget?

James Allen - is one of the retailers often mentioned/included when searching for stones!

For budget I would like to stay around 3300 plus setting

thanks for helping me i really appreciate it!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
IDJewelry Yekutal is the man. I have purchased two sets of studs for my daughter from him and I am beyond thrilled. He will give you the best studs within your budget.

goldia

Rough_Rock
If you are ok with small imperfections go with clarity enhanced options that are available at much lower prices. Would they be an option for you?

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
If you are ok with small imperfections go with clarity enhanced options that are available at much lower prices. Would they be an option for you?

Hi, sorry i am not sure what this means, could you explain please?

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
OP
Why don't you call Leslie at BGD, Brian Gavin was the designer of the ACA's when he was at WF.
Leslie can recommend a pair within your budget.
This might be premature, but dont forget about the backings of the studs. I recommend the LaPousette back so they dont fall off!
Good luck.

I am currently waiting for Leslie to call me back :) In the meantime I wonder about one thing. I went to Blue Nile and did a search with same parameters as I was doing elswewhere - there are many more results available than say BG or WF but the main thing is the prices are so much lower. Is Blue Nile quality considered not as good as the other two? Oh. Perhaps they arent certified.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
How did you go with calling retailers directly?

Hi, very good, I spoke to someone at Brian Gavin and also at WF. There is a set of diamonds currently at each one that I am trying to choose between. Am panicking bec cannot do this alone. Can you help if I post the links? Please. Thank you
Ps Brian Gavin has a 10% or promo that ends tonight! So I need to do this like, now.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
BRIAN GAVIN:

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/0.758-j-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104094817073

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/0.733-j-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104094817071

with the 10% off and wire price the total for these including setting is $4756

WHITEFLASH:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3885286.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3885294.htm

the total for these including setting is $4569

PS went up on budget because i really just cannot go down in size or they wont make me happy..

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
Of course - happy to help - not super knowledgeable but I'm sure other people will also reply and give their opinions - go ahead. Are the diamonds reserved ? One issue with posting links - if the stones arent reserved - small risk someone else may purchase them.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
Of course - happy to help - not super knowledgeable but I'm sure other people will also reply and give their opinions - go ahead. Are the diamonds reserved ? One issue with posting links - if the stones arent reserved - small risk someone else may purchase them.

thanks so much! No, not reserved. I am freaking out already haha and it just took me forever to figure out how to "make" the earrings on BG without using matched pairs. I have not yet ventured into the reserving mode:lol:

the links are posted above!

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
They both look like really well-cut pairs, and they will both be incredibly shiny and look substantial on your ear.

There's low inventory in that 0.65-0.75 range - isn't there? (even stretching to J color - which isn't an issue with studs on ear when the diamond is well cut)

Difference between the 2 pairs, pair 2 is cheaper but smaller total carat weight. Pair 1 - bigger total carat weight, one stud will be minimally smaller than the other but i really doubt this will be noticeable (particularly when you are wearing them in each ear)

Both retailers have upgrade policies which means you can go larger later if needed.

If there is no preference for a particular setting i.e. don't prefer one companies to the other, then I would go with the cheapest pair. But that's just me! Depends what you want.

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
Another option - approx $1700 US per stone

Both 1.4 on HCA

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3307564

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3533439

I think you can 'hold' them and ask for any idealscope/ASET pictures they have - but benefit of going with BGD and WF is that you have all that info at your fingertips.

And the above diamonds have fluorescence, which is why they are cheaper (shouldn't affect the performance but may not be your preference)

Don't feel rushed to make a decision!!

Last edited:

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
i am chatting with a james allen rep online and he says for an upgrade, the new diamonds have to be twice the value of what i purchased. this is dampening my excitement.

lovemyshiba

Rough_Rock
I would advise against going down to a J, even GIA graded, those can appear quite yellow. If you're color sensitive, it may bother you.

thank you. I believe I should be happy with J's.

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
i am chatting with a james allen rep online and he says for an upgrade, the new diamonds have to be twice the value of what i purchased. this is dampening my excitement.

That's good information to have!!

Either of your pairs will be great. I'd go WF ones - cheaper and higher colour.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there is a solid return policy, this ^^ is not a problem.

I have a Brian Gavin signature J, and can't easily tell it from the I. (Both AGS)

Ps there are Show me the J threads under the Smtb tab.

Whiteflash has the most generous upgrade policy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results