shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me buy a cab..?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they look like the pictures, that''s great! That spess looks like a burning piece of amber.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
here''s the rubellite tourm, 1.62ct

DSC03842rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and the spessartite garnet, 3.67ct.

Thanks Chrono! The spess is alot of fun - I''ll tell you what, it''s immediately made me want a faceted one!
11.gif
9.gif

DSC03855rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
a fun pic in the sun - as you can see most of the weight of the spess is in the crown (?)..
so despite over 2cts difference between them, it''s only a real difference of 1mm..

DSC03872rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
a comparison on the hand..
(these would be for RH btw).

DSC03864rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure I''d like to put the spess in one of these carved bezel rings..

mcf carved cab.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
or should I stick to sleek?

And any opinions on whether I should just keep the rubellite? maybe make a stacker of some sort?

mc sleek.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the rubellite is only $40 (?), it might not be worth shipping back. It is a decent looking stone but my eyes are drawn to the spess.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 11:57:31 PM
Author: Chrono
Since the rubellite is only $40 (?), it might not be worth shipping back. It is a decent looking stone but my eyes are drawn to the spess.
I agree. The rubellite is much more vibrant in the photo than in your pics. I think the spessartite looks like a piece of sunshine.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 11:59:32 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 4/25/2009 11:57:31 PM
I agree. The rubellite is much more vibrant in the photo than in your pics. I think the spessartite looks like a piece of sunshine.
Thanks Chrono and TL - the rubellite to be exact was only $33.50, lol..which translates to about $50AUD.
It would likely cost only $10 to send back..

But it's more I'm wondering can I be bothered to spend money setting it, or will it just sit around, kwim?
Likely the cheapest I could set it on etsy will be ~$40/50..

normally I'd just keep it, but I am without job atm
7.gif

what do ya reckon?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably wouldn''t set it, so maybe it''s better to send it back since it''s only $10 to ship it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, money is still money, and if the stone is just lying in a box never to be enjoyed or stared at, you might as well return it or resell it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 12:05:36 AM
I probably wouldn''t set it, so maybe it''s better to send it back since it''s only $10 to ship it.
Ya, thats sorta how I was leaning C.
I like playing with loose gems, but I''m the sort that would like to have them all eventually set.

Any thoughts on the carved vs sleek for the spess?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you do yellow gold for the spess? It is crying out for yellow gold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the sleek and engraved are lovely; it's a toss-up. Can't go wrong either way.

ETA
And yellow is a MUST if you can do it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 12:10:47 AM
Both the sleek and engraved are lovely; it''s a toss-up. Can''t go wrong either way.

ETA
And yellow is a MUST if you can do it.

Date: 4/26/2009 12:10:23 AM
Can you do yellow gold for the spess? It is crying out for yellow gold.

thanks both of you for your thoughts.
not atm I''m afraid for YG
7.gif
No job is not healthy for jewellery habit lol!

Plus this gem was also under $40..

I am looking into getting a new faceted garnet - either a spess, or a really orangey malaya, like this one from Gene.
Than that gem would def. go in YG - or rose maybe?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 12:07:46 AM

Ditto, money is still money, and if the stone is just lying in a box never to be enjoyed or stared at, you might as well return it or resell it.
Thanks TL for your advice.
I would still look at it, but I do prefer to wear my gems
1.gif

Ok, looks like the tourm is going back !

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Really nice cabs, sorry you can''t keep both. Regarding the band, I''d probably go with carved to give the piece some texture, as the stone is not faceted. My only concern is the height of the spess - are you sure you''d be comfortable with such a high profile?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With some tweaking, the spess cab could be a sugarloaf! It''s already has a higher than normal dome.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was thinking "sugar loaf", too!

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2009 1:05:05 PM
Author: movie zombie
i was thinking ''sugar loaf'', too!

mz
Great minds think alike.
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ok, silly question coming up - but could someone please enlighten me on what exactly a sugarloaf
is and how it would differ from that cab?

Thankyou!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
AJ- the cabs are gorgeous! Off to check out gemselect.........
9.gif
I''ve been inspired by you and Harriet.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no help here, but I just wanted to chime in that I love that design you have picked out
36.gif
I''m excited to see your progress like others have said

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
AJ i think they are both really nice actually. But if your interested I want to do my version of the Paloma sugar stack rings and Sally said she can source whatever i want in a cab for a great price.
So maybe...........

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ah, thanks C for the links -I see now. And now I want one, lol!
I wonder how a cabber decides what material qualifies to cut a sugarloaf instead of a regular cab - I don't see them around much...?

Date: 4/26/2009 3:32:29 AM
Author: ma re
Really nice cabs, sorry you can't keep both. Regarding the band, I'd probably go with carved to give the piece some texture, as the stone is not faceted. My only concern is the height of the spess - are you sure you'd be comfortable with such a high profile?

Hey ma re, cheers for your vote for carved. I do think she does a good job on them for sure.
I don't *think* I'd have an issue with the profile, and thats actually what I really like about that gem - something different
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 8:22:50 PM
Author: icekid
AJ- the cabs are gorgeous! Off to check out gemselect.........
9.gif
I've been inspired by you and Harriet.

ha ha thanks Ice - they are alot of fun, and so much cheaper than faceted!

Date: 4/26/2009 10:58:21 PM
Author: D&T
no help here, but I just wanted to chime in that I love that design you have picked out I'm excited to see your progress like others have said

Thanks D&T - do you have a preference for sleek over carved? I'm kinda thinking sleek to go with the smooth sides of the cab - any thoughts..?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 3:44:14 AM
Author: katebar
AJ i think they are both really nice actually. But if your interested I want to do my version of the Paloma sugar stack rings and Sally said she can source whatever i want in a cab for a great price.
So maybe...........
hey Kate,
happy to hear you''re still going ahead with your sugar design rings! Personally I think Sally will do a nicer job than T''s
2.gif

What is this "maybe......" missy??!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results