shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me buy a cab..?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys,

I''m going to keep it short as I''ve been studying all night and my brain is fried, lol..
But I''ve fallen for the thick shank and sleek lines of this ring from an etsy seller, and would love some help
finding a cabochon so I can have one made!

Size: ~5-6mm
Species: don''t mind
Colour: pink, orange, raspberry - basically a warm colour. I''m guessing a pink tourm is my best bet?
Help: yes please! I suck at searching the websites..
40.gif

Budget: have no idea how cabs are priced, but at first glance they seem to be a bit less than faceted gems?
basically no more than 150, hoping for closer to 100..doable.?

looking forward to any options you guys may be able give, or just pointers in general!

many thanks in advance,
AJ.
1.gif

cab ring aj.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
This was one I did come across, a sapphire - any opinions?

I "think" I like the colour, and its cheap
1.gif
But what would you call this - Orange? Brown?

ajs cab.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Burt sienna
3.gif
?

I might try emailing Barry at ACS or ArtCutGems and see what they have/an do. Those two guys seem to know and love cabs. You might also find something at Multicolor, but that will require some digging. Looks like a fun project!

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Arunajane, no help here, sorry! But I am going to have fun tracking your progress/project - I know nothing about them other than what I like, but fell in love with these settings on James Meyer''s website and I think there is something so simply and elegant about a cab - can''t wait to see what you get!
1.gif

button_rings_paper.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:16:42 AM
Author: mercoledi
Burt sienna
3.gif
?

I might try emailing Barry at ACS or ArtCutGems and see what they have/an do. Those two guys seem to know and love cabs. You might also find something at Multicolor, but that will require some digging. Looks like a fun project!
Ha ha!

Yeah, have emailed Barry, here''s hoping he can help.

I''m pretty sure I would love a "bubblegum pink" tourmaline - anyone keen to find me one?
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:19:33 AM
Author: babysteps
Arunajane, no help here, sorry! But I am going to have fun tracking your progress/project - I know nothing about them other than what I like, but fell in love with these settings on James Meyer''s website and I think there is something so simply and elegant about a cab - can''t wait to see what you get!
1.gif
babys, I agree, those JM cab rings are wonderful!

I''ve always been interested in them, but was unsure of wearing them.
I just think that bezel ring is so clean and elegant..she also makes a wonderful carved band, which I hope to get one
in future.

yum!

mc pink t cab.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Cabs are hard to find. AJS gems has a few cab sapphires.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic, thankyou Merc!
I have never been on gemselect before, they have tons of cabs and I''m looking through them right now
5.gif

However, they''re just all a lil big..
7.gif
I''m looking to keep the ring quite "sleek"..I think the ones in the pics are about 4.5-5mm..
but I was aiming toward 5.5-6mm, maybe 7ish..?

I''m loving the idea of a combo of bright pink and a spessartite, what do ya reckon?

They have a couple lovely pink tourms on gemselect, but they are all pretty big..Anyone want to join the search
for a ~6mm pink tourm cab
31.gif

thanks again Merc !

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 10:57:49 AM
Author: innerkitten
Cabs are hard to find. AJS gems has a few cab sapphires.
hi Ik - yep, thats where that one pictured above is from
5.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to point out (although some may find it obvious) that you have a better chance of finding a cab if you search in the varieties that often exhibit lower degrees of clarity. Some such are tourmalines, certain garnets (spessartites, hessonites), and red beryl for example (although it might be expensive). Gems exhibiting optical phenomena also might be worth checking out, but they rarely come in small sizes (moonstone, cat''s eye, star sapphire, sunstone etc.). Of course, if you don''t mind a bit less wear of that piece, you can go with a stone of lower hardness like opal (both phenomenal or fire variety), or even coral or pearl.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
ATG has some pretty sunstone cabs here. You have to scroll down a bit to see them.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 11:15:16 AM
Author: ma re
I just wanted to point out (although some may find it obvious) that you have a better chance of finding a cab if you search in the varieties that often exhibit lower degrees of clarity. Some such are tourmalines, certain garnets (spessartites, hessonites), and red beryl for example (although it might be expensive). Gems exhibiting optical phenomena also might be worth checking out, but they rarely come in small sizes (moonstone, cat's eye, star sapphire, sunstone etc.). Of course, if you don't mind a bit less wear of that piece, you can go with a stone of lower hardness like opal (both phenomenal or fire variety), or even coral or pearl.
Thanks ma re! I didn't know that to start with, but did figure it out after looking around a bit.
5.gif

Well I found one! And it's just the colour I wanted and the price is great. But...I can't buy it yet!
I am waiting for the etsy seller to get back to me with their address, so I can have the gem site send it straight to them, instead of allll the way
to Aust, then allll the way back again, lol..

Aargh!

So, all I can say is, if anyone feels like buying something I've described above - pls don't!
9.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Not to threadjack, AJ, but aren''t you the one who has lots of cool carved gold bands? Let me know... :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 12:20:40 PM
Author: karee888
Not to threadjack, AJ, but aren''t you the one who has lots of cool carved gold bands? Let me know... :)
Hrmm..maybe? I do have some artcarved bands, is that what you meant?
1.gif

thanks MZ, wow there''s alot of interesting stuff on that site!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 11:22:19 AM
Author: Kismet
ATG has some pretty sunstone cabs here. You have to scroll down a bit to see them.
thanks kismet!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:18:30 PM
Author: arjunajane

1.gif

I just came across this ring and thought you might like it!

link

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 10:16:38 PM
Author: paeony
Ok, I''m in no way good at searching for Colored gems, but here''s one from multicolour-- no idea why so cheap

(wish they had more pics!)

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-128220398

I don''t think rhodolite is particularly expensive to begin with. I''ve bought many pretty faceted rhodolite gems over 1ct for less than 20$ But it''s a great choice though if you''re looking for a light purply color since it''s still very pretty, it''s just cheap because it''s not that hard to get.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:20:11 PM

Date: 3/24/2009 9:18:30 PM
Author: arjunajane

1.gif

I just came across this ring and thought you might like it!

link
Ah that is sweet! Thankyou very much for thinking of me, it''s very nice
5.gif

Thankyou also paeony for your link, I agree that one is a pretty colour.

So, I just bought two from Gemselect - I hope they are ok, as I''ve never seen anything on here from them..?

I got a 1.62ct rubellite tourm and a 3.67ct spess. No idea if they are "good examples" of their species or not,
I just dug the colours, and also the inclusions !
9.gif

the tourm:

tourm cab1 aj.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and the spess:

thankyou to everyone who helped me - I hope they are pretty in person!

spess cab aj.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, they look lovely! And the colour of that tourmaline is so vivid and it totally looks like candy!
18.gif

jake06783

Rough_Rock
coming into this late, but I LOVE pink cabs! I have a garnet and a tourmaline that weren''t too expensive (but I got them decades ago)...anyway, IMHO...go for PINK!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love them, especially the spessartite.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Candylicious
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hey guys,

thanks Adis, jake, harriet and ma re !
It's nice to know I didn't do too bad on my own
9.gif

And I agree, I am going to have trouble resisting licking them lol!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Just thought I'd post this here too for you guys,

I'm having a ring made for my mums for her 50th - it will be the lotus setting from sally,
with this awesome blue green tourmaline from Dan - I was looking around for ages for the right gem
and I think Dan came through in spades!

It will be too late to giver her on her b'day (today, lol), but I'm very excited about it.
Mum doesn't have much nice jewellery, plus we put some thought into them project -
she likes blue sapphs, and her "buddhist colour" is green, hence the blue-green tourm.

Plus she's very into thailand and anything buddhist/yoga (she's a yoga teacher), hence the lotus setting.
Now the only challenge will be handing it over once its finished, ha!
9.gif
11.gif

ETA, sorry it's 6.3mm
5.gif

97NamRnd-10.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys,
just thought I would update that I received my two cabs from GemSelect.

The cabs are exactly as pictured and I really like both.
GemSelects'' service has been really really good - fast and efficient invoicing and postage (and free postage within USA).
I''m trying to decide whether to keep the rubellite, and I emailed them for an RA. Even though I am well
outside the 20day return period, they didn''t even mention it. They replied within the same day and were gracious and specific
with their instructions for a return.

I just wanted to give a detailed review as I know not many buy from them and they have a mixed rep- I cannot speak to their faceted gems,
but for cabs they have a huge selection, imo good prices and great service.

It may also be a good place for someone wanting to start buying/learning about CS but not wanting splash too much cash, to have a bit
of fun and figure out what they like - and you can always use the generous return period.

I will post pics in a min - the spess is cool and I''m keeping it. The rubellite is pretty but I''m thinking a lil small -
let me know if I should keep it or not ok? (it was under $40).

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results