shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help make this project fun again...

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Well thanks for clicking... please forgive my inexperience and slightly whiny tone- I am feeling frustrated and I'm embarrassed. I feel like the village idiot in the colored stone world, happily bumbling around and enjoying all the 'pretties'.

In my bumbling I purchased a peach/salmon spinel, as I wear that color a lot. Well, I LOVED it! It reminds me of hot summers and pretty flowers, and I kept envisioning it in one of Yvonne Raley's sunflower rings.... the short version of this tale is I purchased a peachy/salmon oval from Yvonne that is even prettier than the one I bought originally with the intent of putting it in her sunflower ring. I was so happy and excited!

Well, in the nicest possible way, she has gently suggested other color for the sidestones/petals than what I envisioned. I envisioned chrysoberyl/yellow-green sapphire, or even fushia (African ruby?) She has suggested teal/green sapphire or color change garnet. I believe she knows what will look best. (here comes the whiny part- forgive me!)I am just sad because I have not met those colors (as sidestones) that make me happy and want to have them on my ring. That Paraiba blue melee on sparkliesluver ring is fall down gorgeous... I don't know if Yvonne can get that again or if that would work?

Any inspiration? Photos? I for sure want color, not diamonds.

I am planning to set my original peach 'roval' in a milgrained e/w bezel with matte/brushed green gold. Considered making it a sunflower pendant in this set but I like looking at it so much, I thought I'd enjoy it far better as a nice casual interesting ring. It's 7.1 by 6.4 with a lovely puffy crown.

My peach oval from Yvonne is around 7x5? and has a nicer cut and color and clarity than my original. To me. My daughter thinks they look exactly the same.

I was planning on making the sunflower ring in 18carat rosegold to match my wedding set. I was unsure of the rg with the peachy (does it make the stone look more brown?) but I think it has grown on me enough to be happy with that.

So, please, advice, inspiration- do I need to stop this project while I can still return Yvonne's oval? Do I need to just trust Yvonne and tell her to use whatever she thinks looks best? Sit tight and wait until a magic melee comes along (lol)?

I will attach a pic of the 'oval sunflower ring' from Yvonne's website, and, make another post from my phone with pics of my gems. I just can't type on my phone, which has my pics.

Thanks for your help. ~L

oval7mmsunflower.png

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Please help make this project fun again... or help me en

Photos of the peachy gems. Oh, and the fabric that made me think I wanted yellow/green chryso or fushia side stones.

_34590.jpg

_34591.jpg

_34592.jpg

_34593.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people (I think) prefer the colours that Yvonne suggested but you aren't "most people". It could well be that you have unusual tastes, which is neither right or wrong, just different. That said, creating a custom ring without truly understanding how colour impacts the end result is risky. How about having Yvonne send you all the melee colours that you think you'd want together with the melee colours that she suggested? This method is slow and pricey, but once you have all the stones in hand, I think you'll be able to make an informed decision that will put your mind at ease. The easier way is to photoshop but I am useless with picture editing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the fabric pic it seems like maybe Yvonne's idea of green sapphire could work, if it is a lighter color. I guess my point is that if you were imagining yellow/green chryso and Yvonne is imagining teal/green sapphire those two might not be overly different to your eye in the end (especially if, like you said, you are inclined to trust her opinion on this).

I do agree w. Chrono that it would be good to have her send you a few different options so you can see it with your own eyes, but it does end up becoming expensive with sending things back and forth multiple times.

I hope everything works out, and I think your stones and setting ideas are wonderful!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Chrono, and thanks lovedogs! I know I don't want to go with anything I do not love, but, I also know that I can have eccentric/oddball taste and I don't desire to spend all this money and create a ring that my girls would think was odd. That is why I am reaching out here, please save me from my own eccentricities, lol.

Do teal or green sapphire melees and color change garnet melees look bright or dark to you?

I have not seen teal or green sapphire melee that looked really colorful. I think that is my main hesitation.

So, thank you for the suggestion of having Yvonne send me some melee. That might be the best decision.

The other choice is to just abort the project, and wait for a different color to love for a sunflower ring that I might have an easier time 'composing', so to speak.

Would that be the smartest route since I already have another oval the same color?

Do you like the salmon color with the rosegold?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make a ring that you love, will wear and enjoy, regardless of whether your girls will think it is odd. It is difficult to give specific advice without seeing the melees. Do you have pictures of the teal, green and cc melees? It is too early to abort! If you have pictures of the melees, I'm sure someone here can photoshop them in for you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apacherose|1443194629|3931701 said:
Thanks, Chrono, and thanks lovedogs! I know I don't want to go with anything I do not love, but, I also know that I can have eccentric/oddball taste and I don't desire to spend all this money and create a ring that my girls would think was odd. That is why I am reaching out here, please save me from my own eccentricities, lol.

Do teal or green sapphire melees and color change garnet melees look bright or dark to you?

I have not seen teal or green sapphire melee that looked really colorful. I think that is my main hesitation.

So, thank you for the suggestion of having Yvonne send me some melee. That might be the best decision.

The other choice is to just abort the project, and wait for a different color to love for a sunflower ring that I might have an easier time 'composing', so to speak.

Would that be the smartest route since I already have another oval the same color?

Do you like the salmon color with the rosegold?

I don't typically think of color change garnet as "bright", but certainly some teal/green sapphires are quite bright. This link to Gemfix's website might help you get an idea of how much variety there can be in sapphire colors. Here's their page for montana sapphires, even though obviously they aren't melees: http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html

The other option you could ask Yvonne about is tsavorite garnet. That's what I always think when I'm picturing bright green. It's bright in terms of "pop", but it can come in darker and lighter shades. This page can give you a better idea of those colors as well: http://www.gemfix.com/garnet_tsavorite.html

Also I do really like the salmon color w. rose gold, especially on your skin tone, because you have pinker tones in your skin vs. olive tones.

I think you could do either in terms of aborting project vs. continue going, but I think you have a good chance of getting a gorgeous ring made if you stick with it a bit longer (IMHO of course)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, please forgive my horrible photoshop skills, but I just wanted to give you an idea of some colors in case it helps visualize things and makes options more concrete.

1) your stone photoshopped onto one with blue zircon melee (this is an example of a lighter/brighter sapphire color)
il_570xN.822296461_itul.jpg

2) your stone and tsavorite melee photoshopped onto one of yvonne's rings from her site
il_570xN.822296461_itul%202.jpg

3) your stone photoshopped onto a ring with (I think) emerald melee in the double petal style.
il_570xN.816875016_9i4j.jpg

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
OH WOW!!! Thank you, lovedogs!!! You are amazing!!!! I was writing this and saw your photos!!!

The good news is I do like many of the sapphire colors on those websites, lovedogs!

I also have seen tsavorite garnets that are spectacular on this forum, and small ones that still have incredible color.

I do not have any melee photos, my anxiety about aborting is that my return window on the oval is closing amid my sudden doubts about my choices.

Here are the photos I can find of smallish, though not melee, teal sapphires and color change garnets from Yvonne's website.

il_570xn_836138963_t0jk.jpg

il_570xn_836138967_g64u.jpg

il_570xn_822148237_4n3b.jpg

il_570xn_822148239_knln.jpg

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Well, you have given me heart.

Thank you so much, I love your photoshops with my stone- I am going to be patient and let Yvonne guide me, too, as I think she will help me come up with something more beautiful than I could come up with on my own.

I think I like the emeralds best on your photoshops!

But I actually like them all so I am honestly not as worried as before and I am excited again!!!

Thank you so much!!!!! :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apacherose|1443197465|3931723 said:
Well, you have given me heart.

Thank you so much, I love your photoshops with my stone- I am going to be patient and let Yvonne guide me, too, as I think she will help me come up with something more beautiful than I could come up with on my own.

I think I like the emeralds best on your photoshops!

But I actually like them all so I am honestly not as worried as before and I am excited again!!!

Thank you so much!!!!! :appl:

I'm so glad to help! I know for me I sometimes need to see things because I am not so good at visualizing things like that in my head. I'm glad you are feeling better about it--and I have only heard great things about Yvonne so I'm sure she won't steer you wrong! Glad that you like the colors, and that it's making things feel less stressful :) I also like it with the emeralds a lot, even though I didn't really expect to like that combo.
:appl: :appl: :appl:
hooray for being excited again!!!!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
lovedogs|1443197919|3931727 said:
I'm so glad to help! I know for me I sometimes need to see things because I am not so good at visualizing things like that in my head.
:wavey: I must be the same way with the visualization. You really breathed fresh life into this for me by allowing me to see those possibilities. My whole attitude has changed, I feel genuinely open to possibilities, even the color change garnet, which I thought would be so dark, now I think might actually be awesome and complementary.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, how did you do that, Lovedogs? Great editing work! :appl:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1443199041|3931742 said:
Wow, how did you do that, Lovedogs? Great editing work! :appl:

+ 1

Lovedogs, amazing and very helpful to Apacherose! The visual really helps! Well done! :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww thanks for the kind words, Chrono and Rockinruby !!!

I just used "preview" on my mac and copy --> pasted Apacherose's stone onto pics from Yvonne's etsy site that I found. And then for the Tsavorite I found some loose stones from Yvonne's site and then copy --> pasted them (after making them smaller) onto one of Yvonne's rings.

You guys are very sweet, and I'm just happy to help. CS has helped me so much that I feel great when I can "pay it forward" to other CSers :)

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some pics of Yvonne's color change garnet. It's part of a larger project I will start a thread on next week

I also have a peachy spinel. May be more orange than yours but I added it here were a couple of colors in case it helps

My peavy Orange apinels are stunning but u have not figured out if they will be paired with anything yet. They are really tricky.

_34635.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
apacherose - The angst of trying to match up the right colors! I thought I was the only one who struggles hard with the process and have probably tested Yvonne's patience on numerous occasions as I waffle (which makes her wonderful for people like us to work with). But I do completely trust her eye keeping in mind that I need to factor in my preferences, style and skin tone. I have found that her stones typically look much nicer than her pictures show - so you do need to depend a lot on her eye and descriptions.

For me, salmon/peach is a softer (?) color which is why I wouldn't go with neon bright stones (and I LOVE neon bright stones, lol). On the other hand, I've seen a lot of combinations here come out great that I thought wouldn't work. But as Chrono suggested, you need to pick what matches your taste, personality and style because if you don't, it will soon end up sitting in a drawer. Sometimes, I just google things like "What colors go with salmon pink" or a list of colors in a combination I am thinking of to get ideas on how things would look together. Yvonne also recently posted a blog on matching colors and suggested using colored beads.

Can't wait to see what you decide..and once you have an amazing ring in hand, you will forget the angst and immediately want to do it again. I know I did.

Sungara - I soooo want to copy the colors of your ring...amazing...can't wait to see your thread.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Wow lovedogs, that is so awesome of you to edit those pictures!! I love it. Apacherose, for what it's worth, I like the emerald melee the best based on lovedogs's pictures. I also like the rose gold metal choice [emoji4] keep us updated on how things go!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Sungura, thank you! I love the beautiful pictures you posted, and they are helpful- extremely so.

You have lovely gems- your ring is gorgeous., and I love your peachy spinel, too. Do you have it with a chryso pear there?

Thank you, and please keep me in the loop with your plans and thoughts on how to set a peach to her best advantage. ;))

I found a ring with the color change melee on Yvonne's site- much prettier than I envisioned- and very cool phenomenon.

Limosun, thank you for your insight! I appreciate that you echo Chrono's message and have experience working with Yvonne. I think I lack confidence a bit as I am so new at colored stones, and have only recently discovered that I enjoy wearing them, not just admiring them on others. (uh oh) So still discovering what I like and enjoy- and that evolves, too, like everyone as they go on, I think.

Arabella, thanks for your 2 cents, I appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

il_170x135_736912903_mx3l.jpg

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, this project is exciting too. I will follow along as well. I do love stones that have color change capabilities.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, apacherose. :wavey: Where are you now in the process? Have you narrowed anything down? Looking forward to a status update. I think it's important to see your stone with as many melee possibilities as you can, whether in-person or digitally (thanks to fellow PSers). ;-)

As others have said, you should remain true to your taste (despite its evolution), regardless of what might be popular and/or highly recommended. And thank you very much for the kind words about my melee.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great project apacherose! With a center stone like that it will be gorgeous no matter what. Just listen to your gut feeling.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Acinom, for chiming in and for your compliment on my earrings/red spinel ring in the catch all thread!

You should know I whole heartedly blame YOU for ever enticing me over to the colored side!!! :twisted: :halo: :wink2:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see the end result Apache! It will be spectacular!
Sungura, I LOVE your ring! More pics/info please!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1443462785|3932813 said:
Hi, apacherose. :wavey: Where are you now in the process? Have you narrowed anything down? Looking forward to a status update. I think it's important to see your stone with as many melee possibilities as you can, whether in-person or digitally (thanks to fellow PSers). ;-)

As others have said, you should remain true to your taste (despite its evolution), regardless of what might be popular and/or highly recommended. And thank you very much for the kind words about my melee.

Hi sparklies! Missed your reply yesterday- thank you for weighing in with sage advice. Yvonne is going to help me out by taking pics, letting me try melee, etc. I told her no rush as I am now content and relaxed and excited and looking forward to the creative process with this. I'm so glad I worked up the nerve to post here, I got great help and advice.

ilovegemstones said:
I can't wait to see the end result Apache! It will be spectacular!
Sungura, I LOVE your ring! More pics/info please!

Thanks, ilovegemstones! Sungura, ditto that request! C'mon, don't leave us hanging! Gorgeous ring. I cannot believe that color change garnet is so vivid! :love:

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I am waiting for one more piece of my set that also has a ccg but it's been delayed in the post. Should arrive tomorrow fingers crossed

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results