shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help: Is this A Great Diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pclarke

Rough_Rock
Hi There;
I have been searching FOREVER for a diamond and I think I finally found one... I have tried to learn everything I can about diamonds and this is what I have come up with - it seems I have searched the world for the best price/quality balance.

I am confused by the dimensions on the cut analyser because i only have length and depth and I am not sure what to put in the ''width'' category. It seems I only have 2 dimensions on my AGS report.

This diamond costs $6551.00 (US funds). Could you please do an analysis and maybe give me feedback on whether this is a great diamond

AGS Diamond Quality Document
Shape & Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.53 - 6.54 x 3.94 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal
Color Grade: AGS 1.0 (F)
Clarity Grade: AGS 5 (SI1)
Carate Weight: 1.012 cts
Fluorescence: Negligible

Sarin Report
Weight: 1.012 ct.
Diameter: Avg.6.53 (min-max: 6.52 - 6.54)
Diameter Dev 0.3%
Total Depth: 3.94mm 60.5%
Table Size: 3.70mm 56.7%
Crown Angle: 35.0 (34.6 - 35.0)
Crown Height 0.99mm 15.1%
Pavilion Angle 40.8 (40.6 - 40.9)
Pavilion Depth: 2.81mm 43.0%
Culet Size: 0.04 0.6%
Girdle Min: .92% Thin
Girdle Max: 1.38% Medium
Star/Upper Ratio: 52:48
Proportion Grade: Ideal 0

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for your feedback!!
Paul

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Well It looks like you are on your way to a great stone.

Putting the numbers into the HCA using the crown of 35 gives a solid 1.5. Remember, anything below two is considered to be excellent. Whether or not any particular score below two is better than another is a matter of personal preference and can only be assessed by looking at the stone''s performance under various lighting conditions. Remember the HCA is only a preliminary screening tool.

If you had access to the percentages versus the angle measurements (I am sure there is a complicated way to calculate this) you could plug the measurements into the AGA DIY cut analyzer. This system is very well respected on Pricescope as is David Atlas. This system also grades solely on data values.

http://www.gemappraisers.com/

Rember, your eye is the final discerning factor. Augment your eye with the appraisal of an independent expert. Pricescope can help you find an appraiser as well through "Appraiser Essentials" on its homepage "knowledge" heading.

My fiance has a stone with a 34.9 crown and a 40.8 pavilion. We are thrilled with its light performance in all conditions. It scored a 1.4 on the HCA.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a very very nice stone. Of course numbers don''t tell the whole story, but they are always a nice place to start with. I would also make sure the SI 1 is eye-clean. In this case, magnified pictures as well as a honest description from the vendor would be a great help.
9.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
This looks like it is a beautiful stone. Have you seen any pics -- either of the inclusions or of an idealscope picture? I''d get details on the inclusions to make sure it is really eye clean. Assuming it is, this should be a beauty. F/SI1 is a great combo. Have it appraised just to verify it is what they say it is, and to get another opinion by someone who sees lots of stones...

pclarke

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comments above - it is reassuring that it seems Great on paper! I appreciate your feedback because I have not actually seen this diamond.
Here is the certificate: http://www.whiteflash.com/pimg/certificates/ci_AGS-5760305.gif
Here is the Idealscope: http://www.whiteflash.com/pimg/IdealScope/IS_AGS-5760305.jpg
I am looking for a diamond with more color/fire than brilliance. Does this have anything to do with Star/Upper Ratio? Will this stone have Great color?
It is exciting. I will let you know how it turns out!
Paul

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
The pics look great! (There''s that word again
2.gif
.) Since this is a whiteflash stone, I''d ask to speak to Brian about it while he is looking at it. He can tell you about it''s fire vs brilliance while he examines it. I don''t know the answer to the star/upper ratio, but WF has a very good rep for cutting beautiful stones. Is this an ACA?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/31/2005 6:57:12 PM
Author: pclarke
I am looking for a diamond with more color/fire than brilliance. Does this have anything to do with Star/Upper Ratio
Yes it does but its not just the stars. It''s the combination of lower girdles and stars that contribute to a more fiery, scintillating diamond.

According to GIA''s study on DCLR (dispersed colored light return), the BrillianceScope, red reflectors, DiamCalc and even Dave Atlas'' new Imagem (at least the stones I''ve tested on it), not to mention my own personal experience ... if you have 2 diamonds with the same basic Sarin proportions (which reports only the majors), if you take the lower girdles and stars and lengthen them this will increase your dispersed colored light return giving you as fiery of a diamond that you can get.

Our studies indicate stars at or close to 60% coupled with a lower girdle length around 77-79% (or lower girdle depth being around 80-83%). If you''re after max fire/scintillation those are minor facet measurements I''d be looking for.

Peace,

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH, WOW!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

It looks like a KILLER stone - and well worth all the wait and time and effort!
36.gif
I think you are gonna LOVE it!

Lynn

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just noted the IS image on that. That stone''ll accomplish the task.
emotion-15.gif

pclarke

Rough_Rock
Thanks Guys and Girls - I am so worried about buying a diamond that I have not actually seen!!! I will take the advise above and see if I can speak with the Brian the cutter - hopefully he can be my ''eyes'' for me!

I spoke with a store last night, however, and told them that I had found a Great diamond! They wanted to push their product and told me I was making a terrible mistake by buying a diamond that I have not seen.

The saleswoman said that this diamond (see above) that I was buying could be ''drilled,'' ''injected,'' and/or ''plasma something'' and a whole bunch of other things. She even said that one diamond she saw, that was bought off the internet, exploaded when analyzed - YIKES!! I am not sure what all this means and I was not aware that diamonds could be ''drilled,'' ''injected,'' etc...

I am still nervous - despite the fact that it looks like Great diamond on paper. I have just assumed that AGS certified diamond would be the real deal and not have any problems. Would AGS report these artificial ''drillings'' ''injections'' etc etc? Are there other things I need to worry about besides what I see on the the AGS Cert, Sarin report, and Idealscope pic?

Thanks Again!
Paul

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my! talk about scare tatics....that saleswoman is ruthless! crazy. you may run into some of those things she mentioned, also know as clarity enhanced, if you buy a diamond on ebay, but it is not the case with diamonds like this. as a matter of fact, i''d be willing to bet that this diamond looks better than anything she has to offer.
i understand your trepidation in buying a diamond, site unseen, but you really have *nothing* to worry about. i, like many (many) others here have bought more than one diamond online without seeing it first and have been extremely pleased.
and if it matters at all, i think the one you''re looking at looks great!
best of luck.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m sure Sir John will chime in soon but let me attempt to answer your concerns pclarke.

Date: 2/1/2005 12:10:29 PM
Author: pclarke
Thanks Guys and Girls - I am so worried about buying a diamond that I have not actually seen!!! I will take the advise above and see if I can speak with the Brian the cutter - hopefully he can be my ''eyes'' for me!

I spoke with a store last night, however, and told them that I had found a Great diamond! They wanted to push their product and told me I was making a terrible mistake by buying a diamond that I have not seen.

The saleswoman said that this diamond (see above) that I was buying could be ''drilled,'' ''injected,'' and/or ''plasma something'' and a whole bunch of other things. She even said that one diamond she saw, that was bought off the internet, exploaded when analyzed - YIKES!! I am not sure what all this means and I was not aware that diamonds could be ''drilled,'' ''injected,'' etc...
LMAO... exploded upon analysis? You can bet she pulled that one out of her ... um... THIN AIR! She is attempting to pump fear into you Paul and of course to sell you her stone. Yes... I will be the first to tell you that there are bennies for purchasing locally but her attacks on this diamond are totally unfounded. There is NOTHING about this stone that indicates trouble and if it was a filled diamond (also known as "clarity enhanced") it would be noted on the AGS report. I don''t think AGS even lab grades enhanced diamonds so that''s not even a concern.

If you were dealing with an unknown here via the net, sure there would be concerns. WF however are one of the oldest online companies and have gained a rep for honesty and integrity which does not come easy via the net. The people you see posting here on the forum do not make one red cent for recommeding a vendor so you know that recommendation is well earned.

To help eliminate any fears, you can have any diamond you''re looking at via the net to an independant appraiser for verification *before* you even pay for it.

pclarke

Rough_Rock
Wow - Thanks so much Rhino - I have been visiting Pricescope for months now and I really do resepct your opinions and advice. I have read many many many of your comments and I really appreciate your help here.

I feel much better now!

Best Regards,
Paul

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
To answer your question, IMHO, That IS A GREAT DIAMOND!

Paul, I understand your concern. A few years ago, I would never even consider buying a diamond on the internet, sight unseen. But all of the positive experiences, strong money back policies tempered my concerns. The first four online stones I bought I had sent directly to an appraiser. Now I don''t bother. I have been to many high end jewelry stores and have a difficult time finding a stone with the specs of the one you are considering. They are out there, but not common place.

That is a beauty, and I personally would buy it in a heartbeat if I were looking for those specs.

Good luck

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No sweat Paul. If you have any other questions we''re here for ya.

Peace,

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2005 12:57
6.gif
2 PM
Author: Rhino
I'm sure Sir John will chime in soon but let me attempt to answer your concerns pclarke.

Chiming now
emnote.gif
2.gif

Typically, unless a correction or clarification is necessary I try not to "chime" into threads where a consumer is asking for opinions on Whiteflash goods or services.

Rhino, belle, noobie (and posters prior to your "night of the living saleswoman" horror) are esteemed regulars here who have given honest and judicious replies. Rhino is also a highly respected competitor, so his words of support are the largest on the ticket. Therefore, view me as supporting cast in this thread.

Paul, our diamonds are not clarity enhanced, loaded with TNT or toyed with in any fashion. They are the real deal. The AGS is among the world’s leading laboratories in reputability and strictness of grading, so the document is a well-known and respected pedigree of quality.

We understand the concerns associated with internet purchases. As part of our purchase package we have a Houston area appraiser of preference write an independent letter of verification for you. Additionally you are welcome to have it analyzed by an expert of your preference during the 10-day 100% return period.

We also stand behind every diamond purchase with our lifetime trade-up policy…At any point after you have purchased your diamond from Whiteflash you may contact us to trade it up for the full purchase amount.

Our website has a testimonials section, and there are many wonderful stories and pictures in the "Show Me The Ring" forum where consumers share their internet purchase stories.

I hope these things make you feel more better. Internet vendors represented here, as well as "Brick and Click" vendors like Rhino and NiceIce do work hard to enable you to feel secure and comfortable during the process... Despite what you were told, the process is NOT actually over until you HAVE seen the diamond. The 100% return period guarantees that.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results