shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help!! I''m in tears and confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/6/2007 3:59:49 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 3/6/2007 4:43:59 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 3/6/2007 3:51:56 AM
Author: Lorelei
Great stuff Garry!!!!!
But because I know Storm will object - this is what happens if you look at the stone from very very close up (like 8 inches).

So if you want to do that then return the stone.

But few people do except when they are actually buying the diamond.

Otherwise you can enjoy additional benefits.
Guess this just confirms how odd I am, because after 3+ years, I still DO gaze into my diamond that close up.
37.gif
You''re not odd Alj. Unique yes ... odd ... perhaps sometimes...
41.gif
but I know of scores and scores of woman who still look at their diamonds in the same manner. Ones focal length (the distance at which they observe diamonds) I would presume generally gets further and further with age or detioration of eye sight (I *think*). I know my own focal length has changed over time. From all signs you''re still a spring chicken.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Class,

I''m really sorry it went this way, but sadly not surprised. As others have said, they''re giving you the run around. Personally, I wouldn''t want to deal with someone of this caliber, with something so important, that can easily be gotten somewhere else.

First, as indicated earlier, if you charged it, dispute the purchase.

Just my .02 on what I would do, aside from that. I would go back as soon as you and your fiance can. Ask to speak to the manager if possible. If not deal with her. Point out all the pertinent facts that have been listed here (make a list), let them know you know this isn''t ideal. And let them know, you know, you are being given the run around.

Tell them you no longer feel comfortable buying from them and you want to return the ring. If they begin to balk, let them know if you are not allowed to return it, you will contact the BBB and the JVC. Be adamant. You''ve nothing to lose right now, and everything to gain.

IF you still aren''t being told they will take it back, you could try something else.

I was in a situation once with a piece of artwork I had done as a gift. It was dropped off at my workplace, and I was busy, so at first glance it looked fine. Upon getting it home, I realized something very pale pink had been spilled on it in 2 places. I called and said this was not acceptable, I wanted to return it. She moreless refused, saying she couldn''t do anything with it (resell it) because it was of the recipients home.

I realized I would have to get creative. So I called her back and said, Fine, you won''t take it back? I''ll go ahead and give it to my SIL. They''re quite wealthy and influential (the truth). She can hang it up, and every time someone comments on it, she can tell them who did it and how it''s defective but the artist wouldn''t take it back.

She was at the house the same day with my money.
2.gif

Usually people don''t want their name muddied, so if you need to go to this level, tell them every time someone comments on your ring, you''re going to tell them the WHOLE story, and how you were forced into keeping a ring you really didn''t want. I would imagine that might change their mind. Like I said, you have nothing to lose at this point.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good input John and thanks for clarifying too ... The stone would not be ideal even under the old system due to the polish/symmetry features. The proportion parameters are the only thing in the old system that would have qualified as ideal.

All the best,

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
We are waiting to hear back from the jeweler...she said that she would give us a call by tomorrow about coming in and seeing more stones or about making a return. I''m keeping my fingers crossed

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
So it''s Tuesday and the jeweler still had not called my fiance back so he called her this afternoon. She was much nicer and was sounding more willing. We are going to go back in to see other stones. He asked her again about the ideal cut and this is what she said. She said that there are 3 categories: Ideal, Premium and Inferior. I have never ever heard of these categories. She said she has a chart to show us when we come in again so that we know they''re not arbitrary categories. I don''t understand why she didn''t show us this chart when we were there....but anyway. She also said that these 3 categories have nothing to do with the GIA cut grade assigned to the stone. My fiance sounds like he is a bit more sold, but I''m not. Please tell me your thoughts.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
You print out the AGA chart and bring that with you . . . I would also ask her who came up with her chart and who determined those 3 categories.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Yep...still sounds like crap to me. I''d return this ring if you don''t want it and work with a respectable jeweler who actually know what he''s talking about. Sheesh. Ideal, premium, and inferior? Who is she kidding?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 6:41:08 PM
Author: Class n Sass
She said that there are 3 categories: Ideal, Premium and Inferior. I have never ever heard of these categories. She said she has a chart to show us when we come in again so that we know they''re not arbitrary categories. I don''t understand why she didn''t show us this chart when we were there....but anyway. She also said that these 3 categories have nothing to do with the GIA cut grade assigned to the stone. My fiance sounds like he is a bit more sold, but I''m not. Please tell me your thoughts.

Who would you find more believable, more trustworthy: someone who stands to gain by selling you a stone (or getting you to keep it) ... or an objective organization like the GIA? She''s just had more time to build a case for whatever BS she already spun, IMO.

Bring your own ammunition ... current AGS cut grade standards for round brilliant stones, GIA standards ... etc.

Stand your ground. If you don''t LOVE the stone, no amount of tapdancing & chart-flashing & fast talk is gonna "fix" your perception. Especially when you have so many pesky "facts" and "expert opinions" in your corner!
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 6:41:08 PM
Author: Class n Sass
So it''s Tuesday and the jeweler still had not called my fiance back so he called her this afternoon. She was much nicer and was sounding more willing. We are going to go back in to see other stones. He asked her again about the ideal cut and this is what she said. She said that there are 3 categories: Ideal, Premium and Inferior. I have never ever heard of these categories. She said she has a chart to show us when we come in again so that we know they''re not arbitrary categories. I don''t understand why she didn''t show us this chart when we were there....but anyway. She also said that these 3 categories have nothing to do with the GIA cut grade assigned to the stone. My fiance sounds like he is a bit more sold, but I''m not. Please tell me your thoughts.
the chart is obviously some kind of ''in house'' grading and really, it wouldn''t have mattered if she did pull it out when you were there. your diamond would have still ranked as ''ideal'' according to their chart (i am assuming). this just reiterates the fact that there are many versions of ''ideal'' and if you want something specific, you need to know what that is and how to get it.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the update Class. Yes it sounds like they''re preparing to sell you on their "in house" grading.

Date: 3/13/2007 6:44:42 PM
Author: hikerchick
You print out the AGA chart and bring that with you . . . I would also ask her who came up with her chart and who determined those 3 categories.
This is a good suggestion hikerchick however as much as we all respect Dave Atlas around these parts Dave''s AGA charts are not an international standard. They may throw back the arguement of their in house grading system vs Dave''s. Same problem with the HCA as its only one person''s grading system and not recognized as a "standard" the way GIA and AGS'' cut grading systems are.

However since you, ClassnSass. are the one buying *they* must get you what *you* want regardless of the grading standard. I stand by my original recommendation ensuring you a stone that''ll fall within both GIA/AGS top standards.

Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck! We look forward to hearing the resolution.

Kind regards,

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
I was hoping to hear the outcome of this...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results