shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help identify this bright green stone?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have really enjoyed this thread and I am looking forward to what you find out. So often I see people posting things that they've done zero research about, and with the very obvious subtext of "Please tell me I found a valuable gem and now I'm rich! RICH!" It's refreshing to come across someone genuinely interested in learning!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, the stone is double refractive, the appraiser/gemologist pointed that out very specifically today, I think my pictures weren't all that great because you can see it when you look at it in person ;-)

Oh, what is it? So curious. But you must enjoy the gem regardless. And that setting is so lovely.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering if this piece is a "franken-ring".
By that I mean that the top basket that holds the stone doesn't look like it was original to the piece. Like it was a custom job. It has a 1950s vibe, so maybe that's the period it comes from.
I saw this when it was listed online, because I have acquired some enameled pieces lately, and I was researching enameled jewelry.

Regardless of what the stone turns out to be, it is fabulous! What an amazing and stunning statement piece!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
frontview-jpg.702366

Your head-on picture
zircon_yg_404.jpg

Example green zircon, where you can see double facets.
zircon_blue_x264.jpg

In blue, but this is what you should see when you have double refraction. There is a little "blurry" effect when you're looking from far away, because you're seeing "double" of the facets reflected through the table.

In the picture that you took, I don't see any doubling of the facets reflected through the table. This is not something that could be something your eye sees that the camera doesn't pick up. Every zircon should have double refraction. If you go look at Finewater Gems or Mastercut Gems zircons, you'll see this effect as well.
AHA! Thank you @voce and @chrono for this bit of info. I have a blue zircon that always looked strange and blurry to me. Now I know why! And I have read about double refraction, but yet I never looked for it in my zircon. I learn something new every day, thanks to PS!!

LindaFletcher

Rough_Rock
I have really enjoyed this thread and I am looking forward to what you find out. So often I see people posting things that they've done zero research about, and with the very obvious subtext of "Please tell me I found a valuable gem and now I'm rich! RICH!" It's refreshing to come across someone genuinely interested in learning!

That is so nice to hear, I'm a huge mineral/gemstone fan and absolutely love to research everything related to them but the more i learn it seems the more i need to learn! Of course I would love to find the 50 carat Pink Diamond in my hunt as most people would but it's really (almost ;-) as fun learning about the fascinating properties of all different kinds of gemstones. I love odd and unusual stones, inclusions, huge oversized settings and golfball sized stones, oddball color schemes, etc.. so I'm always on the lookout for interesting jewelry to add to my growing collection which is why I love this ring. We'll see how tomorrow goes, the appointment is at 12:30!

Last edited:

LindaFletcher

Rough_Rock
I'm wondering if this piece is a "franken-ring".
By that I mean that the top basket that holds the stone doesn't look like it was original to the piece. Like it was a custom job. It has a 1950s vibe, so maybe that's the period it comes from.
I saw this when it was listed online, because I have acquired some enameled pieces lately, and I was researching enameled jewelry.

Regardless of what the stone turns out to be, it is fabulous! What an amazing and stunning statement piece!
Ha, I love that term, I thought the same thing, though the green on green vibe seems pretty intentional, maybe the previous owner loved green and swiped out a big pearl for the green stone? On closer inspection, the prongs that hold the stone match the rest of the ring and everything fits perfectly, it looks very custom so who knows? You saw the ring, too? I couldn't get it out of my head, I woke up in the middle of the night and made a pretty low offer and he accepted, i said i'd keep it as long as it wasn't glass so I guess it's mine :) but I do look forward to finding out what this green stone is tomorrow! In the meantime, here is a picture of it with a longwave UV: (you can see the outline of the inclusions I think)

crazy.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You saw the ring, too? I couldn't get it out of my head,
Haha, yes! When you first posted this ring, I thought..."I've seen this before!" I've spent countless hours looking at enamel jewelry recently, but THIS ring is not easily forgotten! So, yes, I looked at it before. I thought at first it was inlaid jade, until a closer look confirmed enamel. It's a stunner!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fascinating. It would seem it is likely be a Metamict zircon. The brown inclusions are typical of zircon too.
I love it, a huge statement ring.
Now start looking for a green nail polish that matches the enamel so you can do a little “touch up” for the enamel sections.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are all eagerly awaiting to see what it is......

LindaFletcher

Rough_Rock
Hi All! Well, i'm back and......I have no answer :wall: This gemstone is turning out to be quite a mystery! Due to the way the stone was cut and mounted, the gemologist couldn't get an accurate readout on ANYTHING without taking it out of the setting and they highly recommended not doing that so we decided to send it out to a lab. (she called in a favor with her friend at the lab so they'll going to hurry for me and let me know by next week so check back ;-)
A few notes from the gemologist, she said she can't even tell if it's double or single refractive!, it looks one way through the scope, another way with the naked eye, she said it was a very, very confusing stone indeed so i guess i have to now wait until next week! Now i can't even use the single/or double to help me google and obsess :(

voce

Ideal_Rock
Well, then we will just have to wait with you and sit tight until the mystery has been solved. :wacko:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a general question: would a chelsea filter effectively filter if its a zircon or not? I thought it did, somewhere in the back of my semi full brain of junk....

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Curiouser and curiouser.....but I still say lovely lovely beautiful stone regardless. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

I woke up this morning and clicked on this thread just to check out the setting.

LindaFletcher

Rough_Rock
I am back to thinking it's a synthetic spinel, without the stone in front of me (its already off to the lab), i feel like that's what it is, when it's in front of me I think the high brilliance and depth makes me think of a CZ or some metallic type stone, I realize the Zircon idea is completely far fetched due to it's rarity. I tried to get the appraiser to give me a clue as to what she thought it was and she said she honestly has no idea :wall: and she would never speculate unless she was 100% positive, she also told me google is a dangerous place and no one would ever make a decent judgement based on photos alone...as I go to google photos of what this thing could be! ;)2 Thanks for all your help, i appreciate every response!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At an auction I once bought a lot of 58 very pretty colored stone rings set in gold plated silver. They cost about $8 per ring and I assumed they would all be glass. I was amazed when my Presidium gem tester showed about half of them were not glass. I found numerous red rubies, blue sapphires, spinels, tourmalines, and blue topaz. Many of these had "diamond" halos but all the "diamonds" tested as glass. I took a couple of them to our appraiser hoping I'd struck gold with the rubies and spinels. Of course it took her about 30 seconds to determine they were all synthetic. :eek2: This taught me that synthetics are really, really common, look great, and must be so cheap they are used instead of glass, and to always insist on a cert when spending more than pocket change on a colored stone!!!!

Sorry to thread drift, but my experience is that if your stone was spinel your Presidium would definitely have identified it as spinel.

LindaFletcher

Rough_Rock
"This taught me that synthetics are really, really common, look great, and must be so cheap they are used instead of glass, and to always insist on a cert when spending more than pocket change on a colored stone!!!!

I could write a book on the mistakes i've made buying gemstones online, years of mistakes, some more costly then others, but with each time I get a little better, then learn another lesson. My first emerald ring I bought faded in a few months! I love colored stones and I think that's an area where people are especially vulnerable to getting ripped off, unfortunately and I was certainly no exception. I now insist on a certificate if I am paying over a certain amount and i will never buy a nonreturnable piece of jewelry. Ever. Ask me how I learned that lesson! But sometimes I get it right, and I have plenty of wonderful, even some very rare pieces that I did buy reasonably, which fuels the fire to continue on the jewelry & gemstone buying obsession, er, i mean journey =)2

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi OP, any update? :)

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There is mexican opal naturally doped with Uranium - quite new and quite expensive. strong daylight fluorescence and extremely strong like the pic here in LW UV. But would be single refractive.

Yellow Diamonds with H3 defect (naturally or HPHT/irradiated) show strong daylight fluorescence too. Not here of course...

And of course doped glass or simulants or synthetics - you discussed them.

Looking forward to hear what it is...

My guess: not natural.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Am on the waitlist too. For a moment I thought there is an update on what it is. :lol:

Carousel90

Rough_Rock
Did you find out what this stone is?

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I'm so curious now too!

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Damn. I thought there'd been an update telling us what it is!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all told her it was glass/synthetic and she didn't want to believe us.
She desperately wanted it to be zircon, or something more exotic and exciting.
After all that discussion, the fact that she didn't come back is telling, right?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results