shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help finding a loose emerald

I don’t know George at IEEX so cannot comment on that, but I’m glad you are revisiting the Litnon ring. Of course, it would need to be seen in person, but it is round and that is a rarity with emeralds and the ring itself looks to have been very well constructed. You may want to ask if he has any round/cushion emeralds as well or if he'd negotiate on the price a bit. A long shot, but better to ask than not.........
A suggestion is that you could give her the ring as it is and she could wear it while you go about designing the Green Lake ring---IF the stone passes muster for you. When the time comes the emerald can ‘move’ into the new setting and if she likes the original setting she can find a new gemstone to put in it as another piece of jewelry. I know that wasn’t the point of your comment so I kind of went on my own tangent............unfortunately you don’t have the option of taking the emerald out of the setting without buying the ring, but it’s a reasonable price in my opinion for a possible "2 for”. Are you going to the gem show or do you know what you want after seeing a few stones? Good Luck.......

Thanks digdeep, that's a good idea and I emailed to see what Litnon has. That stone makes me wary because it's so inexpensive though.
And yes! I am going to the gem show on Saturday. I want to expose myself to as many gems as possible!
Hopefully one of these vendors comes up with something for me, or one of you PS'ers stumbles across something maybe??

It's hard to know from just a photo if your concern is justified, but I have purchased and returned stones to litnon and it's been a very easy experience -- so ask him if that's a discounted price or if there are flaws not visible in the photo. What are the worst things about the gem, and conversely the best things. Unless you are getting an ultra rare gem there is often a bit of both --just like people! Ultimately it's a journey that (hopefully) gets you where you want to be!

For the new to the Emerald buying people here is a little light reading on the how's and why's.
This will by no means make you an expert, but may help explain why there can be huge variations in price.
Two stones that may appear similar in colour and size and clarity can vary greatly just on how transparent the body of the stone is, then take into acoount secondary colour modifiers and levels of treatments.

http://www.katerinaperez.com/2016/08/24/emerald-oiling/

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics