shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE HELP - Engagement ring screw-up?

dansmithman

Rough_Rock
Friends, I am new here and need advice desparately. After months of going back and forth with my jeweler to have an engagement ring made, he showed me the finished product. He used two side stones that are 25points, even though I ordered 30point side stones. And he made the side stones spaced farther apart from each other than what he said it would be (he showed me one in the showcase that it was supposed to be identical to). There was also a metal circle under the center stone that the prongs were attached to, but he cut out the whole circle when I only asked him to change the prongs.

I’m really afraid that the spacing between the three stones will be horrible. Here is a pic of the setting. Those side stones are 25points, and the main stone will be 0.9 carats. (The prongs are only crooked because they’re not attached yet). Does it look like there’s way too much space between the side stones for a 0.9 carat stone? Or is there supposed to be spacing?

Your thoughts are so appreciated, because I’m trying to decide whether to fight for a refund or just keep the ring.

By the way, here is how the first version came out (below). He mistakenly only used 10point side stones and the mill grain came out sloppy, so he re-made it (pic above). In the first version below, you can see the circle below the center stone which helps fill in some space. Not sure if it looks better with or without the circle. Or is the huge spacing on the new one above so ugly that it doesn’t matter and I need to have it re-made?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Dan

img_3665_cropped_1.jpg

img_3661_cropped.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get your money back...after the "finishing" on the first setting turned out so bad you should have stopped it there. He certainly
can not do the level of work he is trying to do. Get your money back and start over.

Is this ring based on a Vatche ring? Can you post a link to the Vatche ring if it is?

Edit...I would use David Klass to make your setting. Check out this thread (go from the back forward)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/[/URL]

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry it does not look like this is turning out well. My opinion, though a hand made piece will have a different character than a machine die one, it just doesn't look good to me. At this point fiddling with it is probably not going to help. And attaching a standard peg head on what was made just does not match or flow at all. The point of a custom made piece is so that it is made round the gemstones not vice versa.

I would see if you could start over with someone else. If you like that design I would consider getting a verragio that best matches what you have in mind than trying to create de novo.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1478098296|4092937 said:
Get your money back...after the "finishing" on the first setting turned out so bad you should have stopped it there. He certainly
can not do the level of work he is trying to do. Get your money back and start over.

Is this ring based on a Vatche ring? Can you post a link to the Vatche ring if it is?

Edit...I would use David Klass to make your setting. Check out this thread (go from the back forward)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/[/URL]

It looks like ti's based on a Verragio ring? And I agree that OP needs to get his money back and start over with a different jeweler, and would second David Klass if he can't just get a Verragio. There are way too many problems with both of those rings.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That thing is A MESS. As was the first iteration. I second (third! fourth! fifth!) the advice to move on from this bench. Sorry this is such a hassle, but once you get to the right person I hope you end up with a fabulous ring!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1478099767|4092946 said:
tyty333|1478098296|4092937 said:

It looks like ti's based on a Verragio ring? And I agree that OP needs to get his money back and start over with a different jeweler, and would second David Klass if he can't just get a Verragio. There are way too many problems with both of those rings.

I agree with others that you should get your money back and start over with someone more equipped to handle your request. Both versions are full of problems, and this jeweler is not up to the task of making your piece. I also 2nd the advice to use David Klass.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, this is a disaster. It's grounds for getting your money back, for sure.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely get your money back and call David Klass. He can do the Verragio-inspired ring it looks like you want. Good luck to you!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, sorry I am going to be that person who disagrees with the rest. I prefer the new iteration of the ring, looks a lot better than the first. The prongs holding the center stone are not centered, but other than that it looks ok imho, depending on your budget. Seems to me like the first ring also had melee that is missing on the new one?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I would suggest starting over with someone else. :wall:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should have said that it looks like this ring is based on a Verragio (not Vatche) but I can no longer edit. :shock:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. I don't care for the proportions of the head to the rest of the ring. It looks like it was "plopped in" without regard to the flow of the ring.

2. He used side stones different from what you had agreed on? Why?

3. The "donut" underneath the main stone is a mess and should probably have more rounded edges, rather than the 90-degree angles it appears to have

4. It looks like one of the side stones wasn't set in flat relative to the face of the shank, though that may be a trick of the light or photography.

That said - you're not the first person to come here with a Verragio-style rings replicated by a local jeweler that failed. Don't ask a jeweler to execute an intricate design unless they can show you similarly intricate pieces that they have made, and made well. And I'd repeat the suggestion made by several other posters - get a quote from David Klass in Los Angeles.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I vote for: Get your money back. Hope you can.

All the best.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, they are both awful. Nothing is well finished or well executed. The ring with the larger side stones, that basket is set off centre, it's not just that the prongs arent straight. The side stones are too far back and the milligrain and scrolls, still terrible. The first version is ********* nothing is even or straight and the centre diamond setting - ugh.
Your jeweller is not a craftsman or an artisan. He doesn't seem to have any feeling for balance and style. He might be perfectly at home doing repair work and the like but obvious he has little experience creating a full setting. Did you see any previous examples of his work? If you aren't going with a well known jewellery designer you need to see their portfolio and the quality of their previous work.
I'm sorry you are having such an unpleasant experience, cut your losses with this guy and find a someone who can create your dream ring as you've dreamed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wish you had shown us the first one, because we would have told you then that they aren't capable of making it. The second try proves it. I hope you can get your money back or at least a credit to use for other jewelry. Then start over. David Klass is a good option for you.

I wish everyone knew that many local jewelers do not have the talent or ability to do great custom work. Most of us who have been here a long time do not use local jewelers for custom jewelry. We use ringmakers who have excellent reputations and lots of evidence of high quality workmanship in various parts of the country.

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
Oh my. I would most definitely ask for and fight for a refund. I definitely do not like the ring without the circle and the millgrain work is simply atrocious as well. You deserve so much more than this.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Sorry. What a stressful position to be in.

I would push for a refund. The local jeweler may have been well-meaning but the quality is not there.

I hope you are able to get your vision someplace else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results