shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help! Do any of these 3 Tiffany diamonds stand out?

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
In my last thread, many wonderful folks here pointed me towards finding better choices for a surprise for my wife. I had contacted Tiffany and received some new choices after I gave them the parameters friends here suggested. Here is a link to the original thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-with-tiffany-diamond-quality-im-confused.220118/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-with-tiffany-diamond-quality-im-confused.220118/[/URL]

I thought the new options would be hard to find in that post so I am starting new here. Should I have them bring in all 3 of these stones? Do any of them stand out to you? Are these going to be stellar diamonds or do any have issues that I'm missing? Thanks!

Option #1: HCA 2.2 all very good
MEASUREMENTS 6.44 - 6.47 x 4.01 mm(minimum girdle diameter - maximum girdle diameter x depth in mm)
CARAT WEIGHT1.040 carats
COLOR GRADE I
FLUORESCENCE None
PRECISION OF CUT Excellent
SYMMETRY Excellent
POLISH Excellent
CLARITY GRADE VS1
ENHANCEMENTS None(Besides Cut/Polishing)
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 62.1%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 58%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 14.9%
CROWN ANGLE 35.0°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.1%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.9°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Medium To Slightly Thick
GIRDLE FINISH Bruted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 78%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 55%
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option #2 HCA 1.8 ex. light return & fire, very good scint. and spread
MEASUREMENTS 6.56 - 6.59 x 4.08 mm(minimum girdle diameter - maximum girdle diameter x depth in mm)
CARAT WEIGHT1.080 carats
COLOR GRADE I
FLUORESCENCE None
SYMMETRY Excellent
POLISH Excellent
CLARITY GRADE VS1
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 62.1%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 56%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 15.5%
CROWN ANGLE 35.1°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.2%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.8°
GIRDLE FINISH Faceted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 80%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 50%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 3: HCA 1.5, all ex. except spread very good
MEASUREMENTS 6.56 - 6.60 x 4.06 mm(minimum girdle diameter - maximum girdle diameter x depth in mm)
CARAT WEIGHT1.080 carats
COLOR GRADEIFLUORESCENCE None
SYMMETRY Excellent
POLISH Very Good
CLARITY GRADE VS1
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 61.7%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 57%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 15.0%
CROWN ANGLE 34.8°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.0%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.8°
GIRDLE FINISH Faceted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 75%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 55%

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
Re: Please help! Do any of these 3 Tiffany diamonds stand o

Here are the differences I've been able to find compared to the ideal specs I was given in my other thread:

Option 1: everything is within range except depth % which is 62.1

Option 2: depth is 62.1 and crown angle 35.1

Option 3: lower half is 75 (recommended was 76-80)

Maybe this will help someone give me advice? :wink2:

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

My opinion is usually a little against the grain of the posts I see on this forum but i would personally want number 2. I like a stone that's a little bit deeper with a little higher crown. The profile view is very important to me. I think 2 is going to be a very beautiful stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Eliminate #1 because it is smaller than the others, not a great angle combo, and it has a bruted girdle which I find very odd. Nothing is wrong with the depth.

#2 is triple excellent, which is good, but the HCA is above 2.0 and you don't have excellent on the first three HCA items. I also don't love lower girdle facets at 80

#3 probably is the best cut, good HCA, wish it was XXX but you generally can't see the difference between ex and vg polish, love the 75 lgf's

My preference would depend on seeing them, obviously, but by numbers alone, I would choose #3.

(You aren't going to be able to really see the difference in crown angles of 35 and 34.8 in a profile view.)

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1456943022|3998560 said:
Eliminate #1 because it is smaller than the others, not a great angle combo, and it has a bruted girdle which I find very odd. Nothing is wrong with the depth.

#3 probably is the best cut, good HCA, wish it was XXX but you generally can't see the difference between ex and vg polish, love the 75 lgf's

I just wanted to add to this post that Tiffany sells many diamonds with a bruted girdle so that wouldn't be a disqualifier for me. But I do agree it's odd, at least hard for me to wrap my head around. And they feel polish is extremely important to a diamond's appearance so if they sell a diamond with VG polish you can trust that it's fine.

happilymarried

Rough_Rock

Thanks RockBrat!

Thanks Diamondseeker again. I really appreciate it.

For choice 1, it is 600.00 less than the other 2 which are priced identical. So, not sure if that negates the size difference. Besides the size difference, is it just not as great a performer the way all the measurements work together? I'm sure you are right, but I was just wondering how you can tell. If all the measurements are within the best range, do some diamonds just have worse combinations than others? I've been trying to learn things along the way haha.

Is the bruted girdle just an odd way to do it? I searched around but all I've found so far is that it is done by putting one diamond to another on a lathe like machine??

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

My eyes are very perceptive to diamond diameters and dimensions that's why I chose #2. I think it's worth the extra $600. Also, i can see a bruted girde with an unaided eye. It looks like a scratched surface to me that takes on a more plastic look to it. Like when you buy something with a metal plate or trim on it, a tv even, and there is a protective plastic film on it. If you scratch that film up a bit, that's what I see. But i do think I'm in the minority there. Most won't notice it and it really is fine and acceptable to have a bruted girdle. I trust Tiffanys to carry only beautiful diamonds. But everyone will have their own preference as to what the prettiest diamonds really are. And i do feel some Tiffany diamonds are prettier than others. Maybe you should have all three of these brought in and compare them all side by side?

Also, just because the individual angles fall within the ideal or suggested parameters doesn't mean they will work in harmony as a package. So you can have a diamond with a crown and pavilion angle and depth that are in the suggested ideal category but that doesn't mean they will work the best together for that particular diamond.

E B

Ideal_Rock

happilymarried|1456933414|3998454 said:
I thought the new options would be hard to find in that post so I am starting new here. Should I have them bring in all 3 of these stones?

I'd have them bring in the last two! And make sure they let you see them in different kinds of light, too. :)

happilymarried

Rough_Rock

There was also 1 other older option,should I still consider this? It is priced 400 more than the 2 1.08's above which doesn't seem worth it for .003 difference in ct. Unless it has potential that I am missing.

I guess call it option 4:

1.11ct. I VS1 pavilion angle is 41 and lower half is 75 Those are the differences I see from what was recommended in my previous post. HCA 1.5 excellent light return, very good fire, scintallation and spread

Here are all it's details:
MEASUREMENTS 6.70 - 6.73 x 4.10 mm
CARAT WEIGHT1.110 carats
COLOR GRADE I
FLUORESCENCE None
EPRECISION OF CUT Excellent
SYMMETRY Excellent
POLISH Excellent
CLARITY GRADE VS1
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 61.1%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 57%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 14.7%
CROWN ANGLE 34.1°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.3%
PAVILION ANGLE 41.0°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Thin To Medium
GIRDLE FINISH Faceted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 75%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 50%

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

I don't really see anything about number 4 that to me justifies the price difference. I also don't love thin girdles so I personally would focus on 2 & 3 instead. I think you have two great options in those. And if you're curious, you could check out number 1. All these will look slightly different. Keep us updated on what you like and what you choose! What a wonderful surprise.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RockBrat|1456951749|3998675 said:
I don't really see anything about number 4 that to me justifies the price difference. I also don't love thin girdles so I personally would focus on 2 & 3 instead. I think you have two great options in those. And if you're curious, you could check out number 1. All these will look slightly different. Keep us updated on what you like and what you choose! What a wonderful surprise.

Except for the carat weight :bigsmile:

1.11 is ok!

cheers--Sharon

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Option 3 is the best and safest, numbers wise.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Number one had an HCA over 2.0, so we would eliminate it based on that a the outset when there are other stones that fall under 2 to choose from. The main issue I see is that the angles are not complimentary. If the crown angle is 35, you want the pav angle to be closer to 40.6. If the crown angle is 34, you want the pav angle to be closer to 40.9.

I would look at #2, #3, and #4, with #3 probably still the first choice and #4 the second choice due to size.

happilymarried

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1456978601|3998926 said:
Number one had an HCA over 2.0, so we would eliminate it based on that a the outset when there are other stones that fall under 2 to choose from. The main issue I see is that the angles are not complimentary. If the crown angle is 35, you want the pav angle to be closer to 40.6. If the crown angle is 34, you want the pav angle to be closer to 40.9.

I would look at #2, #3, and #4, with #3 probably still the first choice and #4 the second choice due to size.

Thanks for the clarification!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results