shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help an idiot

theschuss

Rough_Rock
OK, so before people roll their eyes too hard, I've already done the lurking thing and checked out HCA's/idealscope etc. etc. etc.

However, I'm an idiot when it comes to diamonds, settings and the combination thereof. As comparison, I have the fashion sense of a dead weasel. I've thankfully made good choices in the past around jewelry, but this is the big one, the ring.

Her - likes simpler things, fairly active, not a flashy person, loves sparkly things.

Me - Looking to spend around $5k all things considered.

Current thoughts:
1. Go for a more "fiery" cut and some fluorescence if possible
2. Get something with Pave (she specifically mentioned loving a friends ring, which is cushion cut with pave)
3. Go round (all her current rings are round stones)

Can someone critique/school me? I'm sorry to just come on the board and ask advice on my first post, I just have basically zero to add to diamond discussions from a knowledge standpoint. I'm willing to trade skiing/climbing/mountain biking knowledge though.

This is my current combo:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2805440.htm
with this ring:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/cathedral-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1421.htm

Also, does anyone else feel like they're trying to tiptoe through a room of cobras when buying jewelry for someone else?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

theschuss

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I'll contact her if I don't see responses, but here are the answers:

1. What is your budget?
Around $5k (flexible)
2. How old are you guys?
early 30's
3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.
Market Research/Professional Project Manager dealing with Fortune 100 clients.
4. How does she dress? Is she a T-shirts and jeans girl? Does she love vintage pieces and get a kick out of consignment shopping? Is she tailored-- shops at Ann Taylor? Is she high fashion?
T-Shirt and Jeans is ideal, but she's a huge fan of dresses and has a good size boot collection. She enjoys new items mostly from Banana and Patagonia.
5. What is her current jewelry like? Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones?
White metals primarily, though I got her a gold/aquamarine pendant she really likes. She's very pale skinned with brown/blond hair.
6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather?
Crate and Barrel - our furniture is all black wood. I have been overruled on this on many occasions.
7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?
She's very organized.
8. Does she love handags and have a stable of them to chose from? Or is she a someone who carries just one brown or black bag everywhere?
She has a stable, but a small one. She trends towards the same 2-3 bags all the time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started a new thread asking for Gypsy - I'm not good with settings & styles for other people, I can't distance myself from what I like on me, but Gypsy is really good at this.

theschuss

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I've been batting 1000 on what I've gotten her for other pieces, but I want to make extra sure I don't screw this one up. Also, it can not be overstated how much she loves the sparkle.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *love* that WF Expert Selection stone you posted - and if you are seriously considering it, I would suggest you contact WF immediately to Reserve it for you - this will prevent lurkers from buying it out from under you.

Previously I had run the numbers and that diamond is an AGA 1B (received 1A scores in most categories but 1B in crown angle and in girdle), and scored 1.6 on the HCA (3 Excellents and Very Good in Spread).

The ring setting you posted is not one of my favorites - if you prefer one with side-stones and your girl is fairly active, I'd suggest maybe the Rounded Open Cathedral (http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...pen-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-626.htm) or Tiffany Style Bead-Set (http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...yle-bead-set-diamond-engagement-ring-1006.htm) - they are slightly lower in profile than the setting you posted and I think the sidestones are set in a more secure fashion so less likelihood of missing stones as is common with pave settings.

And make sure when you contact White Flash you let them know you are a PS member - they have a 10% Off Setting discount running right now when you buy one of their in-house stones - depending on the setting you pick, that discount may or may not be greater than the PS discount on the diamond you've selected - I don't think you can get both discounts at the same time so do the math to see which discount is best for you.

theschuss

Rough_Rock
Thanks - the bead style isn't 100% what I want, as from the HCA notes it should get an open bottom for the best light performance (unless I'm reading it wrong - TOTALLY POSSIBLE). The other one looks really nice though!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is very nice, and RBs are designed to intake and output light from face-up/through the crown - you'll be fine with a setting that covers a significant portion of the bottom/pavilion. A less well-cut RB (or a different shape that returns (faceup) significant amounts of light entering through the pavilion) would be visibly brighter in a more "open" sort of setting, but w/ an RB like you're considering the difference the setting will make are more theoretical than practical & visible.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie paged me and I'm here.

A few more questions... Can you answer these for me?

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?

11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her?

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.

13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)? Has she flat out said she doesn't like a particular style?

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

15. Is the plan to have kids ASAP or not have them, or have them later on?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell me more about the black wood furniture. And the handbags, describe them.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1350503641|3287226 said:
You did a great job already with the two things you picked out! You told me enough to think you are on the right track. But I am going to show you a setting at WF that I think is MUCH prettier than that one!

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

If I were you, I'd commit to buy that stone today, because they have a computer glitch that has resulted in pricing errors, but they will probably honor that price today.

YES to the Legato!! :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to suggest this stone:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2763666.htm Which gives us more money for the setting but makes no visual difference. (just check if it's eyeclean, but I suspect it is).

But, if you guys are planning on having kids soon, I'd lean toward the Caroline, instead of the Legato. Now, I personally prefer the Legato. But because of issues with sizing pave shanks and the ring size fluctuations that can happen as a result of pregnancy. I'm thinking this setting would be a safer choice. It DOES have pave in the basket (profile) so it will give her sparkle. And unlike the Legato, it's much more flexible for wedding bands and would pair well with a number of great wedding band options. Much more than the Legato.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/caroline-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-251.htm

Alternately, if she's open to halos. I'd suggest this one: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/selene-solitaire-engagement-ring-1591.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Naturally I like the Vatche Caroline very much since that is my daughter's ring :)) , but I'd go to G VS2 for the diamond and not go down to SI1. The Vatche Caroline and the Legato Sleekline are the two best solitaires at WF in my opinion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1350504753|3287246 said:
Naturally I like the Vatche Caroline very much since that is my daughter's ring :)) , but I'd go to G VS2 for the diamond and not go down to SI1. The Vatche Caroline and the Legato Sleekline are the two best solitaires at WF in my opinion.

You have a preference for clairty. But that's personal to you 8) . There's no "unbaised" reason to not go with an SI if eyeclean and not having an unsafe inclusion (which this one does not have). This one has a small white crystal (perfectly safe) and a cloud under the table. As long as it's eyeclean it is indistinguishable from a G VS2 to the naked eye.

SI isn't bad. I think it's important, especially when working with a modest budget, to put aside personal prefences and focus on what the best fit it for them. ;))

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1350504419|3287239 said:
I'm going to suggest this stone:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2763666.htm Which gives us more money for the setting but makes no visual difference. (just check if it's eyeclean, but I suspect it is).

But, if you guys are planning on having kids soon, I'd lean toward the Caroline, instead of the Legato. Now, I personally prefer the Legato. But because of issues with sizing pave shanks and the ring size fluctuations that can happen as a result of pregnancy. I'm thinking this setting would be a safer choice. It DOES have pave in the basket (profile) so it will give her sparkle. And unlike the Legato, it's much more flexible for wedding bands and would pair well with a number of great wedding band options. Much more than the Legato.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/caroline-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-251.htm

Alternately, if she's open to halos. I'd suggest this one: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/selene-solitaire-engagement-ring-1591.htm

I'm 100% with Gypsy on this! I adore the Caroline and think that it adds a nice touch of sparkle and uniqueness. It is also easily paired with a diamond wedding band if you want an extra touch of bling or a plain band if you don't. I think the most beautiful wedding sets are the ones where the person had enough insight to consider the wedding band while selecting the ering. You can almost tell when the wedding band was an after thought, so I would totally keep this in mind when making your selection. Has she given any hints as to what she wants her wedding set to look like?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing much to add, you're in good hands! I just enjoy these threads-they're fun.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1350504419|3287239 said:

I really think is she likes halos this might be the way to go. He really emphasized that she loves the sparkle/bling factor so I want to play that up.

Another option, is this setting. Which I REALLY like and several posters have bought. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/queen-dinah-3-stone-pave-18k-white-gold-5679w18 But it would require upping the budget. WF and BGD are in the same city so you could, and other's have, bought the stone at WF and have them send it over to BGD for setting.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1350511509|3287335 said:
Nothing much to add, you're in good hands! I just enjoy these threads-they're fun.

Me too! I think when you have the "big guns" like Gypsy and DS on the case, its so much fun to just sit and watch what happens next!!!

Gypsy and DS - you both rock! I'm nominating you for "Diamond Finder's of the Month" awards!! ;)) :lol:

theschuss

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1350502571|3287214 said:
Yssie paged me and I'm here.

A few more questions... Can you answer these for me?

9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).

10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?

11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names? If so why? Is it the dependability of brand name quality that appeals to her or is it the bragging rights? Or is she more understated and while she appreciates quality brand names don't do it for her?

12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.

13. Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant.)? Has she flat out said she doesn't like a particular style?

14. What is her existing jewelry like? A lot of variety, or are there a few select pieces of similar design? What does she wear regularly?

15. Is the plan to have kids ASAP or not have them, or have them later on?

Sorry, work done exploded this afternoon.

9. In SF, came from Boston. We live in the East Bay and are more East Bay people than SF.
10. We'd love a dog, but we both love animals of all kinds (she's just allergic to most of them)
11. Eh, she enjoys brand names that she's come to trust, but other than that she doesn't care.
12. Man, I hope she never finds this, as I doubt I'm doing her justice. She's a smart, dedicated woman with a nerdy streak and a sensitive heart. She's not extroverted, but if you get her to come out she's endless fun.
13. She's commented on a friends cushion cut w/halo, but that was a 10k ring chosen by an expert. Her personal jewelry is all round/oval ring stones with a small setting.
14. She enjoys slightly dangly earrings and hoops, but generally clean pieces. She's more a no-maintenance jewelry person, so all of her everyday stuff is streamlined, but some of the going out stuff is more ornamental.
15. We're having kids within the next 5 years.

Let me check out the rest of the thread and I may double-post.

theschuss

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah, and the furniture - simple squarish stuff, but clean. She's also a neatfreak.

Handbags - she prefers small poucette(?) style ones, and the styles are a bit all over the place, they just all look good (IE, one's a classic canvas, one is made of can tabs, one is red leather w/chain)

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm... I like this girl already!!
Jeans and t-shirts, dresses and boots, clean lines, uncluttered, not "flashy" but loves sparkle.
I'm guessing feminine, but not prissy. Tasteful and elegant, but probably would not call herself that. Smart, a little quiet, sweet and sensitive, but also a lot of fun.

If you were going to get her flowers, would you choose daisies or roses??

I am leaning toward Gypsy's choice of the Caroline Solitaire, or DS's choice of the Legatto. (For the ones with the diamonds on the shank, the Legatto is by far my favorite. It is more feminine and graceful).
If you choose the Caroline, you could pair it with a thin, sparkly, pave eternity band. And you could maybe save up for this if you have a little time between the engagement and the wedding??
If you choose the Legatto, than a plainer wedding band would be perfect.

Maybe the Caroline Solitaire with a band like this... (I much prefer the pave that doesn't look so "channel set", this one really lets the diamonds show off!)
http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/elena-diamond-wedding-band-1368.htm

The set would be clean, elegant, simple, classy and SPARKLY!!! :love: :love:
Oh heck... I'm just going to try to post the pictures... Hang on a sec...

Oh YES... Me LIKEY!!! :appl: :appl:

carolinesolitaire.jpg

elenaweddingband.jpg

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1350505454|3287260 said:

You have a preference for clairty. But that's personal to you 8) . There's no "unbaised" reason to not go with an SI if eyeclean and not having an unsafe inclusion (which this one does not have). This one has a small white crystal (perfectly safe) and a cloud under the table. As long as it's eyeclean it is indistinguishable from a G VS2 to the naked eye.

SI isn't bad. I think it's important, especially when working with a modest budget, to put aside personal prefences and focus on what the best fit it for them. ;))

And DS... You know I love ya, but I'm going to have to agree with Gypsy on this one. My stone is Si1, and I have TRIED to see any inclusions, but can't. If it is eye-clean, and she is not a diamond-freak like we are, or particularly knowledgeable or picky (about diamonds).. I totally agree with NOT paying more for something you can't SEE!!

I think a G SI1 is an excellent choice to get the most for your money.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to add my $0.02 here because you haven't explicitly said she wants to be surprised. Does she want to be surprised? Because if you really have no idea what she'd like other than pave and one comments on a friend's cushion, a $5000 non-refundable ring is probably not the place to try to "guess" her preferences.

Many women wear much different fashion jewelry than the style they would prefer for an engagement ring they're going to wear their whole lives. $5k is a nice budget and I'd hate for anyone to be disappointed. She sounds like an independent woman with a great head on her shoulders who probably has a ring preference even though she hasn't spent years mooning over wedding dresses. :cheeky:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1350505454|3287260 said:

SI isn't bad. I think it's important, especially when working with a modest budget, to put aside personal preferences and focus on what the best fit it for them. ;))

I was just going by the fact that the stone he found and posted was F VS2 and assumed good color and clarity was his preference.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1350520678|3287441 said:
I'm going to add my $0.02 here because you haven't explicitly said she wants to be surprised. Does she want to be surprised? Because if you really have no idea what she'd like other than pave and one comments on a friend's cushion, a $5000 non-refundable ring is probably not the place to try to "guess" her preferences.

Many women wear much different fashion jewelry than the style they would prefer for an engagement ring they're going to wear their whole lives. $5k is a nice budget and I'd hate for anyone to be disappointed. She sounds like an independent woman with a great head on her shoulders who probably has a ring preference even though she hasn't spent years mooning over wedding dresses. :cheeky:

I have to agree with this. I learned the hard way.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1350520678|3287441 said:

I agree.

Also, if you are in the east bay. I have a couple suggestions. That's where I live. And many Pricescopers live here.

In Campbell there is a great jeweler named Joe Escobar. They have a great selection of settings. And they carry Vatche. And they have the Caroline and you can hold it and see it for yourself.

Also they have a great selection of reasonable settings, in house, in a lot of great styles. Including a very nice version of that plain shank halo, and there's is 1100 or so, which is more than in budget for you.

What I'd do is buy this stone (if eyeclean) from Whiteflash. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2763666.htm

Then once you get it in, call Joe Escobar and make an appointment with either Mia or Erik. Then take the with you to Joe Escobar, pick out whatever setting you want, and have them set it for you in that setting.

AND if she isn't the surprise type but you are. You can buy the diamond from Whiteflash. Propose with just the diamond. And take her WITH YOU to Joe Escobar and have her pick out her setting. That way you get the best of all worlds. You get the price saving advantages of buying online for the diamond. You get to surprise her. She gets to pick her setting. And you start a relationship with a great local jeweler who can maintain/repair/resize your jewelry for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like Gypsy's latest suggestion the best. I'd have WF set the stone in their cheapest solitaire setting, though, so she can wear the diamond until the permanent setting is chosen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sure do wish he'd come back! Because the pricing on the ACA's right now is exceptionally low due to the computer glitch, I would suggest getting this stone instead if he wants G SI1. May as well get the ACA for the tiny price difference. But these prices won't be there in about 24 hours.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2803946.htm

$27 more for a slightly larger stone and top cut quality. Amazing opportunity!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to the thread, but wouldn't a haloed modern cushion be a good choice for someone who really likes the sparkle? :confused: I realize she has mostly round stones now, but let's face it... that's what's mostly available out there, and her taste has enough "edge" in it that she might appreciate something just a bit out of the mainstream.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results