shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE ease my mind

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
I am trying not to go in to full freak out mode right now. Is anyone awake right now that may be able to help ease my mind. On a pear diamond does GIA have a specific location on the girdle that they put the number?

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
My other question is it possible for the GIA Number on the diamond to be completely covered by a prong?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other question is it possible for the GIA Number on the diamond to be completely covered by a prong?

I believe this is possible, yes.

mine has only 3 numbers inscribed. Can’t remember if it’s the first 3 or last three of the report number. I bet it was a coupon sale to only do 3.

if you have doubts - have a jeweler take a look.
If you really have doubts and the jeweler also can’t find it - have them unmount it to look.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also possible that GIA didn’t inscribe the number on the girdle at all. Having the inscription done at time of certification is included when you purchase certain types of reports (ie. Dossier) but is an option - at extra cost - when you purchase other report types.

Here is GIA’s fee schedule. How large is the stone and which report type do you have?

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True this above.
I assumed it was the pear OP
recently bought that the GIA report states it is inscribed.

Assuming = shame on me

Either way- hope it works out for you, OP

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
True this above.
I assumed it was the pear OP
recently bought that the GIA report states it is inscribed.

Assuming = shame on me

Either way- hope it works out for you, OP
It is the pear I recently bought. The 1.34 ct pear.
*I want to make it clear that I in NO WAY think the lady I bought it from did anything wrong or bad* My irrational fear is that when I had it sized, the diamond was swapped out. I really think I am just overreacting and had a moment of paranoia among sleep deprivation and other life stresses.
Here is what happened yesterday. The first thing I did when it arrived in the mail was open it in total excitement and dash over to my jeweler to have it sized so I could get it back the next day and wear it.
My house has very dim lighting and due to health problems, I can't be outside much, so I really haven't seen it in good lighting much at all. Yesterday while at the doctor's office with my kids I noticed some visible inclusions, which I don't remember ever seeing in the pictures. I wasn't 100% sure if I was seeing an inclusion, if it just needed to be cleaned, or if I was imagining it.
Last night I decided to look at it under better light after cleaning it and I do see a couple inclusions. They are pretty well hidden in the facets though. So, I decided to ease my mind and look for the report number on the diamond. I am probably over reacting and the number is under a prong or I just couldn't find it. I spent over an hour looking. Then I took out a loose diamond I have with a report number on it from a different company, IGI. I found the IGI loose diamond's number in less than 5 minutes, but it was smaller than I expected. I don't know if the GIA number would be the same size as the IGI number. I was hoping that GIA has a specific location on pears that they like to put the number, ie on the round end rather than towards the tip.
I'll look at the list of reports to figure out what type of report I have.

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
Also possible that GIA didn’t inscribe the number on the girdle at all. Having the inscription done at time of certification is included when you purchase certain types of reports (ie. Dossier) but is an option - at extra cost - when you purchase other report types.

Here is GIA’s fee schedule. How large is the stone and which report type do you have?

Okay so the report is a GIA Diamond Dossier

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet it was a coupon sale to only do 3.
On the topic of bizarre... A pearls vendor who sent a personal diamond to GIA wasn't happy with the result, and I asked if they couldn't just submit it for regrade, and apparently they couldn't because GIA had been running some sort of holiday special wherein arguing the grade wasn't permitted? Like, wait, what?
On second thought - maybe I misunderstood what he said. ::SHRUG::

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
Not all diamonds are graded by GIA... a lot of them aren't. Do you know for sure the one you have was graded?

Also the chances of swapping an antique cut stones are pretty small since they are somewhat rare.
Can you take a pic of your ring now and compare to the close up from the vendor maybe? I'm sure you can see by the facets if it's the same diamond or not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bansheefaerie GIA doesn't specify where the inscription will go, no.

It's unbelievably unlikely that your jeweller happened to have an antique pear diamond with similar colour and faceting as yours and exactly the right dimensions to fit your mount, at exactly the time you submitted for resize. Antique pears are hen's teeth to begin with. And switching a customer's stone out on the sly... Would absolutely destroy their reputation; no 1.3ct diamond is going to be worth that risk.

Post the GIA report number. Does the report state that the stone is inscribed?
If the report states that the stone is inscribed, it's possible the stone has had a touch of rework since the report was issued (a girdle nick or chip polished out, etc.) that required removing the inscription. If that had happened - ideally the stone would have been resubmitted to GIA at that time, but I can easily see someone patching a personal stone up with no intent to resell not wanting to bother with all of that. Or if the girdle is super thin then the inscription might truly be so tiny it's effectively invisible without significantly higher magnification.

Does the faceting that you see with your eyes match what you saw in listing photos prior to your purchase?

Last edited:

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
It is the pear I recently bought. The 1.34 ct pear.
*I want to make it clear that I in NO WAY think the lady I bought it from did anything wrong or bad* My irrational fear is that when I had it sized, the diamond was swapped out. I really think I am just overreacting and had a moment of paranoia among sleep deprivation and other life stresses.
Here is what happened yesterday. The first thing I did when it arrived in the mail was open it in total excitement and dash over to my jeweler to have it sized so I could get it back the next day and wear it.
My house has very dim lighting and due to health problems, I can't be outside much, so I really haven't seen it in good lighting much at all. Yesterday while at the doctor's office with my kids I noticed some visible inclusions, which I don't remember ever seeing in the pictures. I wasn't 100% sure if I was seeing an inclusion, if it just needed to be cleaned, or if I was imagining it.
Last night I decided to look at it under better light after cleaning it and I do see a couple inclusions. They are pretty well hidden in the facets though. So, I decided to ease my mind and look for the report number on the diamond. I am probably over reacting and the number is under a prong or I just couldn't find it. I spent over an hour looking. Then I took out a loose diamond I have with a report number on it from a different company, IGI. I found the IGI loose diamond's number in less than 5 minutes, but it was smaller than I expected. I don't know if the GIA number would be the same size as the IGI number. I was hoping that GIA has a specific location on pears that they like to put the number, ie on the round end rather than towards the tip.
I'll look at the list of reports to figure out what type of report I have.
Hey, I was going to start a thread with my IGI certed diamond, but saw your post. I checked for my original GIA inscription on my wedding ring and compared the size of it with the IGI for you. They both are pretty much the same size. One suggestion I have is to look for the inscription with some kind of back lighting. I now have to look for my engagement diamond's inscription against the white backdrop of my computer screen because the black has faded (over the years and with many cleanings) in the numbers from when it was newly inscripted. So, the "ghosting" of the numbers are visible now, with a certain tilt. HTH

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found it from the preloved thread.

1639074822588.png
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2205102338

It does state that an inscription is present, and girdle on a stone of this size is thick enough to support an inscription that's visible with a 10x loupe. And 2019 isn't terribly old. Take another look in daylight. @luvmysparklies makes a good recommendation - try searching with backlighting. If you can't find it still, take it to an appraiser - use the list under the Resources dropdown at the top of the page.

That said - it's an SI1 with grade-making crystal inclusions, so it's not hugely surprising that you're seeing inclusions! Sometimes our eyes take a little while to be able to see past the "sparkly" and focus on internal artefacts.

No need to panic. Just do another thorough check for that inscription and if you still can't find it today, solicit a professional's assistance.

Last edited:

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much. I did just looked for about another 30 minutes and could not find it. I will try with some back lighting and a few other things.

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
These are the loupes I have been using. 20211209_111707.jpg 20211209_111717.jpg

M

MillieLou

Could you post a picture of your ring now, next to photos from the seller / older ones? Unlike a standard RB, it's such a unique (beautiful) stone I'm sure we'd be able to ID if they were the same from the shape / facets / overall appearance. As Yssie said, the chances of the jeweller having exactly the same shape and size of pear in stock, and being totally dishonest, are... miniscule.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
These are the loupes I have been using. 20211209_111707.jpg 20211209_111717.jpg

Do you happen to have a 20x loupe? I have a 30x, and its not the easiest to use to search for the inscription. My 20x is easier, and I have a 14x (I think - its either 14 or 15) that is WAY easier.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you happen to have a 20x loupe? I have a 30x, and its not the easiest to use to search for the inscription. My 20x is easier, and I have a 14x (I think - its either 14 or 15) that is WAY easier.
This.

Both 30x and a 60x are wayyyyy overkill. This is a case where more magnification is not better. Even professional-quality macro lenses with this sort of magnification will have incredibly narrow depths of focus, and I just looked both of these up - they're very inexpensive so the lenses likely aren't great in terms of distortion and edge effects. All things that combine to make it all too easy to comb right over the details you actually care about.

I highly recommend this instead. I have two of these and I prefer them to my more pricey loupes. Don't pay extra for the case unless you want it though, the loupe casing is tight and protective. 10x is bog standard, no practical need for anything more.

- - - - - - - - - - -

The inscription is a side issue. Yes, it's one that's worth finding an answer to, either by finding the inscription or by finding out why it isn't present, but your primary concern starting this thread was whether the stone you've got is the stone you bought. Comparing pre- and post-purchase facet patterning can answer that question for you.

Last edited:

MWM

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have had diamonds in the workshop that were inscribed with such small characters that I couldn't initially find the inscription through my setting microscope at full zoom. I did, eventually find the inscription by adding various lighting, tilting and maneuvering the piece under my scope but, with a 10x loupe, I would not have been able to find it. With a 30x loupe the eye strain works against the result. When inscription is under a prong, there is often some little bit exposed at the correct viewing angle but it can take time an dedication to find it.

It is not any less maddening for me than it is for you when the inscription is elusive.
You might need to seek help from a professional with the right kind of optics.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had diamonds in the workshop that were inscribed with such small characters that I couldn't initially find the inscription through my setting microscope at full zoom. I did, eventually find the inscription by adding various lighting, tilting and maneuvering the piece under my scope but, with a 10x loupe, I would not have been able to find it. With a 30x loupe the eye strain works against the result. When inscription is under a prong, there is often some little bit exposed at the correct viewing angle but it can take time an dedication to find it.

It is not any less maddening for me than it is for you when the inscription is elusive.
You might need to seek help from a professional with the right kind of optics.
With all my stones (GIA and AGS) the font size seems to depend on girdle thickness.
Is that not always the case? Ie. Sometimes they will use a tiny font on even a larger girdle?
Is there a way to specify font size or engraving placement? I've not encountered such a thing on the default intake forms but I also haven't asked!

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock

I don't, but I will order one.

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
This.

Both 30x and a 60x are wayyyyy overkill. This is a case where more magnification is not better. Even professional-quality macro lenses with this sort of magnification will have incredibly narrow depths of focus, and I just looked both of these up - they're very inexpensive so the lenses likely aren't great in terms of distortion and edge effects. All things that combine to make it all too easy to comb right over the details you actually care about.

I highly recommend this instead. I have two of these and I prefer them to my more pricey loupes. Don't pay extra for the case unless you want it though, the loupe casing is tight and protective. 10x is bog standard, no practical need for anything more.

- - - - - - - - - - -

The inscription is a side issue. Yes, it's one that's worth finding an answer to, either by finding the inscription or by finding out why it isn't present, but your primary concern starting this thread was whether the stone you've got is the stone you bought. Comparing pre- and post-purchase facet patterning can answer that question for you.

Yeah, my ex boyfriend bought them. He was always buying me the most random stuff off Amazon that I didn't ask for lol. I will get a 14x loupe.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, my ex boyfriend bought them. He was always buying me the most random stuff off Amazon that I didn't ask for lol. I will get a 14x loupe.

I actually found the 14x cheaper on a gemology website (they don't have it listed now), so you might check around. I love the 14x but keep in mind its smaller that a regular loupe.

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
I am pretty busy today, so I only took some quick photos and videos today of the diamond.
From looking at photos of the ring and comparing facets, the exact spot/shape/position of prongs to the facets have all lined up so far.
I will do some more comparing when I'm not in the middle of work.
I appreciate every response so very much. I honestly think I was having a moment of paranoia which is quite embarrassing.
When it comes down to it I trust my jeweler, I havr been using them for a couple years and they have always gone above and beyond for me. The only reason I had any tiny bit of doubt was my anxiety, of course, and the person working when I dropped off the pear was someone I had never met before. It is a family owned business though.
I can post some photos that I took after sizing.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Awww. Don't feel the slightest bit embarrassed. I, and many people would have been anxious too after not being able to find another important source for identification (that one would think) should have been readily able to locate. You have wanted this ring for so long and just "had a moment" at the very thought that somehow this stone could have been switched and yet again lost to you. So, so glad you are more relieved.
Here's one of my anxious moments...
These days with so many of us dependent on our cell phones, it is easy to fall into a panic if they are left at home. This happened to me, in the car waiting in line to get carry out. I looked down at the seat and the epiphany hit me that my phone was still on my dining room table. My mind started messing with me as I thought, "oh no! what if I get into an accident? OMG, I think I hear my car about to cut off!" LOL!

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
Awww. Don't feel the slightest bit embarrassed. I, and many people would have been anxious too after not being able to find another important source for identification (that one would think) should have been readily able to locate. You have wanted this ring for so long and just "had a moment" at the very thought that somehow this stone could have been switched and yet again lost to you. So, so glad you are more relieved.
Here's one of my anxious moments...
These days with so many of us dependent on our cell phones, it is easy to fall into a panic if they are left at home. This happened to me, in the car waiting in line to get carry out. I looked down at the seat and the epiphany hit me that my phone was still on my dining room table. My mind started messing with me as I thought, "oh no! what if I get into an accident? OMG, I think I hear my car about to cut off!" LOL!

Thank you for making me feel better. I can completely relate to the cell phone story. Yesterday I was already overwhelmed and anxious on top of being short on sleep. It was just a recipe for disaster lol

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Exhaustion and a new highly prized acquisition are a recipe for panic.
I have a couple I can read the inscription in a few minutes and others took me days with the microscope. The font size can vary quite a bit.

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
I have a 40x loupe I bought from amazon and a 10x loupe from whiteflash. There is 0 difference between the two so I dont recommend buying from amazon. I couldnt see my inscription either so I recommend you take yours to a jewler.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the ring in your avatar?

Bansheefaerie

Rough_Rock
Is this the ring in your avatar?

Yes, but I did not take that photo. That photo is the one Caysie from CVB ID posted on instagram when the ring was made.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results