shape
carat
color
clarity

Please don't be a bystander

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had already anticipated an increase in assaults on people of color after the election results. My friends who are people of color started texting me last night about being verbally and physically assaulted for the first time. Some have young school-age children who were harassed in new ways yesterday. I was unsure how I would respond to such situations should I witness them first-hand. Then I found this graphic which was created awhile ago in response to attacks on Muslims. It is one tool to use to defuse hate. My cell phone camera and recorder will be another. I'll continue to search for other ways to defuse these situations.

Please don't be a bystander if you see people being attacked.

don_t_be_a_bystander.png

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love these specific action steps for how to deal with these situations.

I hope I never see this kind of thing :(sad but I will definitely step up if I do.

Please keep posting as you find them. I'll do the same. I'm sure we all will.

Thank you.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My teenager came home from school yesterday very upset because her English sub was a Trump supporter and told the entire class that immigrants were all dangerous criminals. You have to understand, that in our community less than 10% of the people here are white, and many are immigrants. There were probably undocumented immigrants in that class, or they have parents who are undocumented. My daughter told him flat out that he was a racist, and that as an English teacher he should know that words are powerful and have meanings beyond just dictionary definitions but through their connotation as well. I feel proud of her for standing for those who are marginalized, but I feel very sad that this is happening in our country and our community.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this, very useful.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great post.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great post Matata!

People on both sides of the political debate have the responsibility of ensuring that their country doesn't go to poop. I see this dividing republicans much more than it will unite them if this continues.

The steps in the pic are great for someone who is not wanting to engage the aggressive person but still intervene somehow. Personally I have received and seen such attacks on trains and trams but I don't stand by as it happens, I have always confronted the aggressive person whether verbally or physically. Call it self-confidence, bravado, stupidity, whatever - I just won't let that sort of crap happen around me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Matata. Two years ago I acquired a Muslim nephew through the marriage of my niece. Until a couple of months ago they lived here in Connecticut, but she started a Ph.D in Ann Arbor, Michigan this fall and they moved out there. I think Ann Arbor, being a college town, is fairly cosmopolitan. But from the election I am learning that Michigan is populated by people who do not, all, embrace diversity. My nephew's English has improved, but he isn't totally comfortable in it. He is Senegalese and his native languages are Wolof and French. He is also fluent in Spanish because he lived in Spain for almost ten years. But he is a very tall, very black man with imperfect English who does attend a mosque once a week in a state where people probably do not even like Roman Catholics like my niece! I have anxiety for them as a biracial couple and for him in the current atmosphere.

Deb :wavey:

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
Your nephew should be fine in Ann Arbor Michigan. It is a culturally diverse university town, with educated residents. Dearborn Michigan which is about 20 miles from Ann Arbor has the largest Muslim population in the United States. Please don't cast aspersions on our beautiful town.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I can't read that, is there any way to make it bigger? I would very much like to read it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tina sparkle|1478817034|4096567 said:
Your nephew should be fine in Ann Arbor Michigan. It is a culturally diverse university town, with educated residents. Dearborn Michigan which is about 20 miles from Ann Arbor has the largest Muslim population in the United States. Please don't cast aspersions on our beautiful town.

Perhaps you meant to type "state". I said nothing negative about Ann Arbor.

The atmosphere stirred up by Trump in many states worries me. Michigan has recently seen migration from areas of the South where diversity has, historically, not been celebrated. That is fact. Please do not try to tell me there has been no racism in The South.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1478819661|4096590 said:
https://sojo.net/articles/what-do-if-you-see-islamophobic-harrassment

The format is a bit different but it is the same message.

Thank you! :wavey:

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1478822728|4096620 said:

The atmosphere stirred up by Trump in many states worries me. Michigan has recently seen migration from areas of the South where diversity has, historically, not been celebrated. That is fact. Please do not try to tell me there has been no racism in The South.

What migration/emigration are you talking about? The state of Michigan has been losing population since the 80's and there has been very little emigrating from the South since Henry Ford offered $5 a day. I'm sorry but your concern for your "nephew" is totally unfounded.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
And fyi, I was with her from day one.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tina sparkle|1478828317|4096683 said:
AGBF|1478822728|4096620 said:

What migration/emigration are you talking about? The state of Michigan has been losing population since the 80's and there has been very little emigrating from the South since Henry Ford offered $5 a day. I'm sorry but your concern for your "nephew" is totally unfounded.

First of all, You began all this brouhaha by acting as if you needed to defend Ann Arbor from me. Ann Arbor is a college town, not a maiden in distress. Why would it need a defense? What did I do that got on your nerves so much?

Second of all, if you insist on pursuing this matter, I am referring to what is known as "The Appalachian Diaspora".

Third of all, it is insulting to call my nephew my "nephew".

AGBF

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
First of all, why would you even take the time to post about your worries about your "nephew by marriage" in Ann Arbor when they are unfounded and seem like a need for attention.

Second of all, don't write about things you know nothing about. Do you live in Michigan or just pass judgement based on a construct from 1930.

Third of all, I don't have time to argue this anymore, but wish you well and hope your nephew isn't harmed in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cat fight in a thread whose purpose was to focus on non aggressive ways to address differences. All this craziness must be from the influence of the impending super moon.

siv1

Shiny_Rock
BeekeeperBetty|1478800502|4096429 said:
My teenager came home from school yesterday very upset because her English sub was a Trump supporter and told the entire class that immigrants were all dangerous criminals. You have to understand, that in our community less than 10% of the people here are white, and many are immigrants. There were probably undocumented immigrants in that class, or they have parents who are undocumented. My daughter told him flat out that he was a racist, and that as an English teacher he should know that words are powerful and have meanings beyond just dictionary definitions but through their connotation as well. I feel proud of her for standing for those who are marginalized, but I feel very sad that this is happening in our country and our community.

Good for her. You should be proud. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Shame on the sub :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

siv1

Shiny_Rock
Matata|1478799896|4096420 said:
I had already anticipated an increase in assaults on people of color after the election results. My friends who are people of color started texting me last night about being verbally and physically assaulted for the first time. Some have young school-age children who were harassed in new ways yesterday. I was unsure how I would respond to such situations should I witness them first-hand. Then I found this graphic which was created awhile ago in response to attacks on Muslims. It is one tool to use to defuse hate. My cell phone camera and recorder will be another. I'll continue to search for other ways to defuse these situations.

Please don't be a bystander if you see people being attacked.

I'm sorry for your friends. There is no excuse. The graphic helped. I will remember it. Thank you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tina sparkle|1478833934|4096731 said:
First of all, why would you even take the time to post about your worries about your "nephew by marriage" in Ann Arbor when they are unfounded and seem like a need for attention.

Second of all, don't write about things you know nothing about. Do you live in Michigan or just pass judgement based on a construct from 1930.

Third of all, I don't have time to argue this anymore, but wish you well and hope your nephew isn't harmed in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Aside to Matata: Sorry to interrupt your thread further, Matata, but I want to answer this last one posting of hers. Everyone on Pricescope answers posts where someone tells him not to write about something. It's practically a rule that one has to do so. ;))

1-Luckily for you, you do not need to worry how I apportion my time. I have noted your unsolicited opinion about the reason for my posting.

2-One doesn't tell other people on a forum about what they can write. Where I live does not affect what I can write, either.

3.I cannot say that I will miss you if you do not have time to write more in this thread, although somehow, I would not be surprised if you return.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is from another thread started by missy today.

missy|1479291732|4099218 said:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/us/post-election-hate-crimes-and-fears-trnd/

(CNN)Fears of heightened bigotry and hate crimes have turned into reality for some Americans after Donald Trump's presidential win. And the list of incidents keeps growing.

Police in Ann Arbor, Michigan, were investigating reports a man approached a Muslim student and threatened to set her on fire with a lighter unless she removed her hijab.
The suspect is described as 20 to 30 years old, unkempt and intoxicated, according to the University of Michigan.
The Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said the alleged attack is among a spate of anti-Muslim incidents reported since Trump won the election.
Our nation's leaders, and particularly President-elect Donald Trump, need to speak out forcefully against the wave of anti-Muslim incidents sweeping the country after Tuesday's election," Executive Director Dawud Walid said."

Another example of "It can't happen here".

AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1479293627|4099224 said:

This is from another thread started by missy today.

missy|1479291732|4099218 said:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/us/post-election-hate-crimes-and-fears-trnd/

(CNN)Fears of heightened bigotry and hate crimes have turned into reality for some Americans after Donald Trump's presidential win. And the list of incidents keeps growing.

Police in Ann Arbor, Michigan, were investigating reports a man approached a Muslim student and threatened to set her on fire with a lighter unless she removed her hijab.
The suspect is described as 20 to 30 years old, unkempt and intoxicated, according to the University of Michigan.
The Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said the alleged attack is among a spate of anti-Muslim incidents reported since Trump won the election.
Our nation's leaders, and particularly President-elect Donald Trump, need to speak out forcefully against the wave of anti-Muslim incidents sweeping the country after Tuesday's election," Executive Director Dawud Walid said."

AGBF

Exactly. Not only can't it happen "here" it can and probably will. No place is safe or exempt from hate sadly. A swastika was found outside the home of a senator in Greenwich Village NYC this morning.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/11/15/hoylman-swastika/

Hoylman is openly gay and Jewish. So double reasons for the haters to hate him. :nono: :nono: :nono:

FYI
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hate-speech-and-crimes-on-the-rise-post-election.226893/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hate-speech-and-crimes-on-the-rise-post-election.226893/[/URL]

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting the link to your thread on hate speech, missy. Keep the faith!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1479294616|4099228 said:
Thank you for posting the link to your thread on hate speech, missy. Keep the faith!

Thanks Deb, You too! Doing the best I can and I won't give up. I promise you that because allowing hate to win is not acceptable.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1479294111|4099226 said:
AGBF|1479293627|4099224 said:

AGBF

Exactly. Not only can't it happen "here" it can and probably will. No place is safe or exempt from hate sadly. A swastika was found outside the home of a senator in Greenwich Village NYC this morning.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/11/15/hoylman-swastika/

Hoylman is openly gay and Jewish. So double reasons for the haters to hate him. :nono: :nono: :nono:

FYI
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hate-speech-and-crimes-on-the-rise-post-election.226893/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hate-speech-and-crimes-on-the-rise-post-election.226893/[/URL]

This is all so horrible. I'll just add: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
And what about all the bystanders here when another poster questioned me a Jewish woman who has posted about losing family in the gas chambers on whether I question the Holocaust.

Except for one poster, Not a peep.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did one small thing to be less of a bystander today, although this isn't related to attacks. I was in Lord & Taylor the other day. When I realized that the garment I picked up was by Ivanka Trump, I dropped it like a hot brick. I was repulsed, and this is before I realized that other shoppers feel the same way about stores carrying her line, and that others are boycotting those stores and voicing their displeasure at her line being sold.

Ivanka stands shoulder-to-shoulder with her father, supporting him in every way, even after the sexual-assault tapes leaked out, and even after he appointed an alt-right individual to one of the most senior appointments in the White House. The appointment attracted the approval of the KKK, which should give you a clue. Ivanka supports her father in all that he does, which means that she supports racism, sexism, homophobia, and all the things that her father and his fascist cronies support.

So I did a small thing to help today. I called my nearest Lord & Taylor to register my displeasure at them carrying her line because she supports her father in all his views, and that we have plenty of other stores, so no one needs to shop somewhere that carries a line from a family of fascists.

It's just one small call, but maybe it will make a difference. Maybe others will call, too. Such a very small thing, but hopefully it all adds up.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479316981|4099318 said:
And what about all the bystanders here when another poster questioned me a Jewish woman who has posted about losing family in the gas chambers on whether I question the Holocaust.

Except for one poster, Not a peep.

Ruby, I'm very sorry if anyone suggested that you (or anyone else) question Holocaust. I did not see that post however. I'm sorry for your loss of family. WWII was very hard for many people here in Europe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results