shape
carat
color
clarity

Please don't be a bystander

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope it was one of those threads that was winding down rather than wide agreement against you.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In haste - just want to follow up while I'm thinking of it. I believe much of Macy's stopped stocking Ivanka Trump after her father called Mexicans rapists, and I'm sure my local store doesn't carry her line, but the website still stocks it. I called them and found out the only way to complain is to use the Tell Us What You Think link on their website.

If you want to complain too, here's the link:

https://www.customerservice-macys.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4055?cm_sp=navigation-_-bottom_nav-_-tell_us_what_you_think

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479316981|4099318 said:
And what about all the bystanders here when another poster questioned me a Jewish woman who has posted about losing family in the gas chambers on whether I question the Holocaust.

Except for one poster, Not a peep.

I believed at the time we were involved in that thread that the reason that no one else commented after that initial poster said that she should not have said what she did to you, a Jewish woman, was because the person who made the Holocaust comment apologized. I also believed that everyone knew she had not intended it to be anti-Semitic.

I do apologize to you, now, if I misread the situation. However during the thread I read it as I described above.

I am married to a Jewish man and have many, many relatives in Israel. My sister-in-law is married to a man who survived a concentration camp and was the subject of Nazi experiments that included dunking him in frozen water as a teenager. So I am not unacquainted with the Jewish experience myself.

Deb/AGBF

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1479323476|4099369 said:
ruby59|1479316981|4099318 said:
And what about all the bystanders here when another poster questioned me a Jewish woman who has posted about losing family in the gas chambers on whether I question the Holocaust.

Except for one poster, Not a peep.

I believed at the time we were involved in that thread that the reason that no one else commented after that initial poster said that she should not have said what she did to you, a Jewish woman, was because the person who made the Holocaust comment apologized. I also believed that everyone knew she had not intended it to be anti-Semitic.

I do apologize to you, now, if I misread the situation. However during the thread I read it as I described above.

I am married to a Jewish man and have many, many relatives in Israel. My sister-in-law is married to a man who survived a concentration camp and was the subject of Nazi experiments that included dunking him in frozen water as a teenager. So I am not unacquainted with the Jewish experience myself.

Deb/AGBF

The person in question was a he. And no he did not apologize but in a subsequent post felt justified and that I was being too sensitive.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will go back and look at the thread. Obviously my memory is terrible. But, ruby, I apologize.

Deb

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, first I want to thank you for your apology. I appreciate it more than you can know.

I am just a little freaked out by having a thread with my screen name in the title. So I have asked Ella to remove it.

But I will keep your message close to my heart.

You are a stand up guy, Kenny, in that you are loyal to your beliefs. Do know I respect you for that.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
To clarify, in addition to Kenny's apology, I believe that the comment about the Holocaust was removed by the admins. So many of those following the thread didn't see it.
I had been reading, and saw Ruby's remark - "the Holocaust"? and didn't quite understand her reference, because Kenny's response had already been removed.
So Ruby, we weren't knowingly being bystanders. So sorry for the hurt you've been feeling.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479330007|4099412 said:
Kenny, first I want to thank you for your apology. I appreciate it more than you can know.

I am just a little freaked out by having a thread with my screen name in the title. So I have asked Ella to remove it.

But I will keep your message close to my heart.

You are a stand up guy, Kenny, in that you are loyal to your beliefs. Do know I respect you for that.

Thanks Ruby.
I tried to edit my apology thread, but it was too late (after 45 minutes posts cannot be edited).
If Ella is going to delete that thread I hope you don't mind that I'm quoting my post here:

I've been called out for something very insensitive and it's important to me to post this.

kenny|1479325334|4099381 said:
Ruby, I apologize for my insensitive post.
Mentioning the Holocaust was wrong of me.
It was a poor choice of a major historical event.
I'm embarrassed that I didn't make the connection or understand the hurt it would cause.

Background:
This is all about posts in my recent thread titled, "Am I the only liberal who ... "
Here is a quote of our exchange:

kenny|1479250225|4099026 said:
ruby59|1479244303|4098979 said:
I can only speak of my community and what I observe there.

I am Jewish. I wear a Star of David and a Chai around my neck. I can only speak for myself.

I personally have not seen an increase in my community or the areas I visit.

So you must also deny that WWII happend, WWI, Mt. St. Hellens erupted, 9/11.

You didn't see it, so it didn't happen. :roll:
Nice. :nono:

My point was to respond to the idea you expressed that you can only speak for yourself, or what you have seen.

I disagree with that idea.
I just picked the first major historical event that came to mind that you personally could not have witnessed.
The largest event that came to mind was the Holocaust.
I realize now that picking that particular historical event was inexcusable, especially since in your very post you mention being Jewish.
I assure you that it was in no way a dig against you personally, the Jewish faith, or anything anywhere close to implying Holocaust denial.

Of course my post was quickly deleted by admin.
I soon reposted my same response using 4 other major historical events, which I should have used in the first place.

Again, my sincere apology.

I'm learning I do not take people's feelings into account enough.
I'm kinda like that Spock character, all logic and reason and no heart.
Fortunately when I step in it here on PS I get the feedback I deserve.
It is my intention to improve this side of my personality.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnetgirl|1479330022|4099413 said:
To clarify, in addition to Kenny's apology, I believe that the comment about the Holocaust was removed by the admins. So many of those following the thread didn't see it.
I had been reading, and saw Ruby's remark - "the Holocaust"? and didn't quite understand her reference, because Kenny's response had already been removed.

Yes, you are correct.
FWIW, my removed post was identical to the one quoted above, but instead of listing those 4 historical events I made the mistake of listing the Holocaust.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnetgirl|1479330022|4099413 said:
So Ruby, we weren't knowingly being bystanders. So sorry for the hurt you've been feeling.
That makes sense. Even in her quote it only mentions WWii rather than specifically the holocaust. Thanks for clarifying.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Still off the topic of the original post of "please don't be a bystander". I just wanted to say that I was really taken by Kenny's gracious apology and by Ruby's courteous acceptance of it. Pricescope is a great community!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results