shape
carat
color
clarity

Please check this stone, newbie requests help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LarryLove

Rough_Rock
Please double-check a newbie's thinking here!

Hi all, this site has been a HUGE help in getting my gameplan together! I'm interested in this particular stone and I'd like your help/advice/thoughts on its quality in general:

Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.92
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 59.4
Table: 58
Crown Angle: 33.6
Crown %: 14.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion %: 42.5
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.34-6.39X3.78

Price= $3500

Is this a good stone, and is this a decent price?

The HCA rates it as a 0.7, with all qualities described as 'excellent'. The vendor, however, describes it as being 'just short of ideal-cut." But all my research indicated this to be pretty much perfect. [edited: 'perfect' for my purposes only, of course... there are much better, I just want my cut to be ideal!]

Your thoughts on this stone?

This will likely be set in platinum with 0.2c of channel-set sidestones. I'm looking for a main stone with an ideal cut, eye-clean, eye-white, and a good size to boot.

Thanks in advance for your help. THIS SITE IS FANTASTIC!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Crown angle & girdle falls within 2A cut class. So, he is correct - just shy of ideal from a chart.

Semantics, the stone has every good reason to face up quite nice & sparkley. At the end, use your eyes.

Good luck.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its one of those diamonds that is a little shallow with a little on the large side table these diamonds can be awesome performers at a less than super-ideal prices.
This one appears to have the potential to be a stunner.

I think its mara that has one of these and is very happy with it.
Im sure she will be along to comment :}

btw pricescope lists that diamond at $3412 for pricescope visitors from whiteflash ask about the discount.
Also have them verify it being eyeclean before sending it.

LarryLove

Rough_Rock
----------------
btw pricescope lists that diamond at $3412 for pricescope visitors from whiteflash ask about the discount.
Also have them verify it being eyeclean before sending it.----------------

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know it was on the Pricescope list!

As far as shallowness... This isn't necessarily a bad thing, right?
A larger table with less depth puts more 'volume' up top and visible, correct?
But you just have to make sure the table isn't TOO wide and looks out of proportion, correct?

Any thoughts on whether or not my table is too large?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is all about proportions and how the various angles and dimensions "work" with each other that produce a great looking diamond.
The table should be fine it isn’t that large.
Just enough that it will look big for its weight same with the shallowness.
You could call them and see if they have it in stock or can get it in and have them eyeball it while talking to you as a final test.

Or have it sent to Richard or one of the other appraisers that post here for a final verdict.
You should have it appraised anyway.
See this thread for more info on appraisals.
thread

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Check out this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idealscope-image-my-ering-stone.10743/

Mara took an Ideal Scope pic of her diamond and several pro's discussed the performance of shallow, broader cut diamonds. Hope you find it interesting.
1.gif

LarryLove

Rough_Rock
Bumping thread back to the top. Still looking for opinions. Thanks to all so far...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually the thread is: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idealscope-image-my-ering-stone.10743/ (took off PQ's login info at the end!)
1.gif

The stone does have a shallower crown angle, as you noted it's not necessarily a bad thing....but sometimes it can be, if the numbers don't balance each other out...then you may get a stone that doesn't look as good as it *could* have.

However, in this instance, the numbers look very good! Also HCA gave it 0.7 and ALL EX is very good!!! To me it sounds like one of those stones that would be passed up for super-ideal because of the slightly shallow crown angle, but in reality it's probably a stunner. Should be gorgeous. My two cents...for the price I think it's excellent! Did you get an IdealScope image etc?

/idealbb/images/smilies/rodent.gif Great eye!! Please post more info.

LarryLove

Rough_Rock
Mara, I'm still trying to get WF to send me the SARIN report! Requested by email last night, no word. Requested by phone today at noon, still waiting.

Some stones on the WF site have very little info posted, some have it all posted with the reports viewable online as well. Mine has the angle numbers posted, but not the report. I just want to confirm the numbers and speak to someone who actually has this thing in front of them to tell me how it looks. Once that happens I might be reeling this fish in and whacking it with the oar! I have a feeling about this one...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a really busy time of year for them so give them some time to gather up all the info and get it scanned and what not and get back to you.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Larry.....I understand your being anxious.....I, too, am awaiting some info from them.

However, I know this is the BUSIEST time of the year for them. They are typically extremely prompt with responses, and if they are little slow now, that's why. Kind of like going to the airport on the day before Thanksgiving....it's JAMMED, and it just takes a little longer to work through.

It sounds like this stone will be worth the patience, though. Most good things are worth waiting for.

LarryLove

Rough_Rock
STONE UPDATE

I just put this diamond on hold, all I need to do is confirm the ring size and it looks like this will be really happening. I am literally dizzy and a little queazy, but it's from excitement. The crazy things a fool does for love!

Anyone have any last thoughts? Thanks so much to everyone so far for your thoughts and help!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!
1.gif
Keep us posted.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
We want pictures!!!!! :}
Let us know how everything goes!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2003 4:52:03 PM LarryLove wrote:

STONE UPDATE

Anyone have any last thoughts? Thanks so much to everyone so far for your thoughts and help!----------------

Make sure you get the ring size right or within reason! Good luck. Sounds like a nice stone!

LarryLove

Rough_Rock
----------------
Make sure you get the ring size right or within reason! Good luck. Sounds like a nice stone!
----------------

I've got one of her rings that I know is a good fit. I'm going to head to a Maul store tonight to check the size and do a little browsing!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I've got one of her rings that I know is a good fit. I'm going to head to a Maul store tonight to check the size and do a little browsing!----------------

Good - make sure it is her "ring" (left hand) finger. You will have to make an adjustment if this ring is worn on the right hand (if right handed).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results