shape
carat
color
clarity

please advise - last few steps

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

harry

Rough_Rock
ahhhhhh...i can''t find the old threads. how thin can the girdle go before i need to worry about it chipping during setting? i am going to set a 2.3 carat stone on a 6 prong.

can someone walk me though the next steps? appraisal process, insurance, and setting the stone? is it unreasonable to ask the appraiser and setter to do those things while i watch? thanks.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Watching is never unreasonable. Sometimes it can't be done, but when it can, I'd wonder why any shop would refuse.

A shop may not let you watch becasue of insurance restrictions, constricted space, a workman who does not like someone staring over their shoulder. Not really great reasons, but these are "why nots". A best reason is they send out work to a trade shop somewhere else, where you can't go to visit.

Familiarize yourself with the diamond. Have the store person make a clarity plot of marks you and they agree to in the stone. When it comes back, check it out with them.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Harry!

I too am looking at purchasing a diamond with a thin girdle. While I am looking at setting it in a pendant for now, it may someday wind up in a ring. I was concerned about the girdle too. I found this thread that helped me and might answer your question too.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/difference-between-thin-med-girdle.730/

Sorry, I can't paste in links like some of the more brilliant folk here do. LOL
wacko.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results