Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

please advise - last few steps

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

harry

Rough_Rock
ahhhhhh...i can''t find the old threads. how thin can the girdle go before i need to worry about it chipping during setting? i am going to set a 2.3 carat stone on a 6 prong.

can someone walk me though the next steps? appraisal process, insurance, and setting the stone? is it unreasonable to ask the appraiser and setter to do those things while i watch? thanks.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Watching is never unreasonable. Sometimes it can't be done, but when it can, I'd wonder why any shop would refuse.

A shop may not let you watch becasue of insurance restrictions, constricted space, a workman who does not like someone staring over their shoulder. Not really great reasons, but these are "why nots". A best reason is they send out work to a trade shop somewhere else, where you can't go to visit.

Familiarize yourself with the diamond. Have the store person make a clarity plot of marks you and they agree to in the stone. When it comes back, check it out with them.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Harry!

I too am looking at purchasing a diamond with a thin girdle. While I am looking at setting it in a pendant for now, it may someday wind up in a ring. I was concerned about the girdle too. I found this thread that helped me and might answer your question too.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/difference-between-thin-med-girdle.730/

Sorry, I can't paste in links like some of the more brilliant folk here do. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.