shape
carat
color
clarity

Playing with Rolexes with my local AD

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
For all of the watch fans out there (ahem, @Dancing Fire )... my guy at our local Rolex AD called me in to look at a watch the other day. Didn’t end up purchasing it, but we got to play with some amazing pieces.

First up, a Hulk. Omg. I’m in love.
58AA598B-13C7-4961-9F39-C28C4289A401.jpeg

Hulk perspective. It looks pretty damn awesome!
C3E01230-FAC2-480C-B73F-FD67DE8C8E61.jpeg

Hulk with my Sub. Sigh. Gorgeousness.
893A2F01-2445-4860-8CFF-6FB351B8F17F.jpeg

Next up: two tone Daytona. Really nice piece. I am surprised by how much smaller this wears than the Sub, given that both are supposed to be 40 mm. I can really see this being a timepiece that a lot of PS ladies would love. It hugs the wrist.

The problem is finding one (at least in stainless). But I quite liked the two tone with the white face.
8824A14A-1FD2-42F9-BB1C-480DA557778C.jpeg

Daytona perspective.
14044B68-B52D-453C-BE4A-CDC2B438C9A8.jpeg

Finally, a piece of horological history: a pre-Daytona Rolex chronograph.
026B722E-A17C-42C4-9ACA-39C86DEE3453.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed looking. I had a lot of fun.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good pics!

The vintage version is nice :) but I just don't 'get' modern Daytonas - they seem very expensive on the basis they are Daytonas and that is it... :???: lol

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I'm weirdly really attracted to that Hulk!

Me too. I love it love it. The green has a ton of depth and changes in different lights. Almost looks black in dark light, then is vibrant green in sun. The dial is sunburst so you get varying tones no matter what. I would totally wear it daily. Green is a neutral!

Have told my sales rep several times to put me on a list for one. Doubt it will ever happen. They just don’t get them much. This was the store owner’s watch—he was really cool to let me try it.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Good pics!

The vintage version is nice :) but I just don't 'get' modern Daytonas - they seem very expensive on the basis they are Daytonas and that is it... :???: lol

You don’t even want to know how much they were asking for that vintage chrono.

Modern Daytonas are growing on me. It’s hard to cal in love with a piece you can’t ever see or try. (If Rolex were smart they would send out watches without movements so customers could try *something* while they asked to be put on waitlists. The face was a bit harder to read than what I’m used to for sure, but I’m guessing you’d get used to it. The slimmer profile and the fact that it wears smaller could be a big part of the draw for a lot of people.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have told my sales rep several times to put me on a list for one. Doubt it will ever happen. They just don’t get them much. This was the store owner’s watch—he was really cool to let me try it.
I was gonna ask...did you buy it?? :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks
A friend of mine got lucky like you. A local AD called him to pick up his S/S date Sub that he had on the waiting list. :clap:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@Tonks
A friend of mine got lucky like you. A local AD called him to pick up his S/S date Sub that he had on the waiting list. :clap:

Awesome! How long had he been on the waitlist? I’m holding out hope that the waitlist situation can’t stay this way forever.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! How long had he been on the waitlist? I’m holding out hope that the waitlist situation can’t stay this way forever.
About 2 yrs for this Sub, but he did get a S/S GMT-2 like 1.5 yr ago. This is his 2nd S/S sports watch from this AD. I told him to keep on buying all the S/S sports watches that his AD are willing offer at MSRP. :bigsmile:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
About 2 yrs for this Sub, but he did get a S/S GMT-2 like 1.5 yr ago. This is his 2nd S/S sports watch from this AD. I told him to keep on buying all the S/S sports watches that his AD are willing offer at MSRP. :bigsmile:

Wowwww.....ok, so maybe waitlists are not going anywhere. Sheesh.

If he’s bought two stainless sports models now, tell him to get on the waitlist for a Daytona. Surely he’s got sufficient credibility with the AD at this point.

Honestly the whole Rolex business model is the pits. I adore their product but the process is really bizarre. Probably stinks for the ADs too. Can’t imagine how many times per day they have to tell people, “sorry, we don’t have any.”

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
3E79CDDB-3769-4B2C-AA14-0274E220CEEB.jpeg 8CAA6633-E82E-425F-822C-7FE4593EFB86.jpeg Last year while in Aspen, we went to our jeweler who just so happened to have The Hulk so my husband ended up buying it on the spot. It’s very cool and we have yet to see anyone with one on so it feels special. I’m sharing a vintage piece he gave me for mother’s day...my Root Beer! I get comments on this all the time!!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
3E79CDDB-3769-4B2C-AA14-0274E220CEEB.jpeg 8CAA6633-E82E-425F-822C-7FE4593EFB86.jpeg Last year while in Aspen, we went to our jeweler who just so happened to have The Hulk so my husband ended up buying it on the spot. It’s very cool and we have yet to see anyone with one on so it feels special. I’m sharing a vintage piece he gave me for mother’s day...my Root Beer! I get comments on this all the time!!

Oooh, I love your Root Beer! It looks fantastic on you! What year is it? I am not as familiar with it as some of the other models so I don’t even know whether all the GMTs have gone to ceramic or if any are still in aluminum.

Jealous that your hubby scored a Hulk. You should borrow it sometime! Isn’t the green sunburst pretty? I really love Rolex’s sport models. The older my eyes get, especially. I am really appreciating a larger dial these days!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

Also... your engagement ring is truly out of this world!!! Beautiful and so classic.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of buying this for DW. It's a 1981 26mm Datejust in 18K with all the bells and whistles. I know nothing about older watches, any thoughts?

1981 25mm Datejust President.jpg

Attachments

• 26mm Datejust 1981.jpg
    26mm Datejust 1981.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 73

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of buying this for DW. It's a 1981 26mm Datejust in 18K with all the bells and whistles. I know nothing about older watches, any thoughts?

1981 25mm Datejust President.jpg
Is the dial and bezel original Rolex? comes with the original warranty papers? How much?. The SS# on a 1981 Rolex should start with E XXXXX

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
78461B46-FAEE-4DC3-B812-A3F24D06A0F0.jpeg This is DH’s Hulk.
I must say I am not really a green fan but somehow I find this watch very attractive & encouraged him to get one when it was first launched.
He can’t thank me enough till now :love: :love:

@MrsKBP - your RootBeer is much RARER

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the dial and bezel original Rolex? comes with the original warranty papers? How much?. The SS# on a 1981 Rolex should start with E XXXXX
I'd also check how large the Presidential bracelet is and if there are any spare links - they are damned expensive to buy extra ones! lol

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
78461B46-FAEE-4DC3-B812-A3F24D06A0F0.jpeg This is DH’s Hulk.
I must say I am not really a green fan but somehow I find this watch very attractive & encouraged him to get one when it was first launched.
He can’t thank me enough till now :love: :love:

@MrsKBP - your RootBeer is much RARER

My DH has this watch too! It really has a striking look when worn. I wish I could borrow it from him sometimes, but the size is too big for me and it looks ridiculous on my wrist sad :(( Sounds like they are super hard to come by these days.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Turns out it's a model 69158 with factory diamond lugs, dial and bezel. :D Serial number begins with L, and I'm told that makes it a 1989.

We are short a couple of links, and David Klass is helping us source them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turns out it's a model 69158 with factory diamond lugs, dial and bezel. :D Serial number begins with L, and I'm told that makes it a 1989.

We are short a couple of links, and David Klass is helping us source them.
1989 sounds right. L before E.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results