shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum, Titanium, Tungsten?! Now I''m just more confused than ever!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone:)

Just after I think I have things figured out, I''m thrown another curveball:(

We''re doing two things right now:

1. Getting our diamond set in a tension setting for an E-ring!
2. Getting matching wedding bands that we both like!

1. For a week I''ve been reading up on the differences between Platinum and Titanium for a tension setting. I am horrible with decisions. I think that maybe Platinum would look a lot better finish wise, but now I''m hearing it scratches pretty bad. I also like the light white color of it.

Then there is Titanium. Stronger metal, and scratches less? I can''t help but think it wouldn''t look as nice as the Platinum. Or maybe the darker color would show off the diamond more? Or would it bring it down? I have a D/IF with strong blue fluorescence (.55ct) so I''m wondering which would look better with this particular stone!

Also, with the tension setting, I''d be getting two tiny melee put on either end of the diamond, on the outside of the setting. I''ve attached the picture of the setting I like below, if you can imagine....

Can you set in melee with Titanium? I read somewhere that this was not possible....

Here is a similar design. We want the one with the more squared off edges....

catsring.jpg

2. Wedding bands. We''ve found a couple of designs we like. I was trying to stick to Platinum, but now that Bryan has seen other materials for ''WAY cheaper than platinum'' he''s reluctant on the platinum thing. That and he has never worn jewellery, so he is thinking that the light weight of the Titanium is a better thing for him. Yet, if we were to get matching wedding bands, I''d want diamonds set in mine. He''d have a similar design, but no stones. With the other metals out there besides Platinum and WG, can stones be set in?

Also, would be worried about scratching....so then I was looking at Tungsten....
We''re trying to stick to the same material for our wedding bands....

My head is spinning....does anyone have any insight?!

32.gif

....and I thought picking out my wedding dress would be more confusing....HA!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I don''t have any experience with titanium. I had a ring made of platinum, and I am very, very, very careful with my rings. In any case, it scratched like CRAZY! Compared to my other ring which was white gold, it was a mess. So I do find that platinum scratches easily. That''s probably not a huge amount of insight though.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I was taking a look at his stuff as well....looks beautiful.

http://www.boonerings.com/htmpages/sculptedroundwplatinum.htm

Another design to consider I think, but he says the style looks better with bigger stones.
I wonder what the polish is like on these stones....
We''re in SC right now and he is in Georgia....hmmmmm!

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
I would go with platinum if I were you. The sheer value of your ring will be higher, and it is classic. Titanium is nice, but I question if it is more faddish or if it will stick around. Titanium rings are really inexpensive because the metal is so common. I would keep that in mind when choosing. I would never pay as much as platinum or even 10K gold for a titanium ring. In my view the labor ends up being worth more than the finished product.

That said.. my vote is for Platinum.

By the way... titanium scratches too.

Hope my opinion is helpful.

MTRB
18.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 1:00:31 PM
Author: StarSpun
Thanks for the advice! I was taking a look at his stuff as well....looks beautiful.

Another design to consider I think, but he says the style looks better with bigger stones.
your link didn''t work for me starspun
8.gif

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 1:01:56 PM
Author: mtrb
I would go with platinum if I were you. The sheer value of your ring will be higher, and it is classic. Titanium is nice, but I question if it is more faddish or if it will stick around. Titanium rings are really inexpensive because the metal is so common. I would keep that in mind when choosing. I would never pay as much as platinum or even 10K gold for a titanium ring. In my view the labor ends up being worth more than the finished product.

That said.. my vote is for Platinum.

By the way... titanium scratches too.

Hope my opinion is helpful.

MTRB
18.gif

Thanks for the great advice!

I agree with what you are saying. I heard titanium is stronger, so that was a concern. Was curious about it. But with my stone being what it is, I am leaning towards platinum. Before I take the dive (the expensive one!) I have to check out all options!

For the wedding rings, though, I may be swayed either way....but of course, I love the look and feel of platinum. Now, I just have to get Bryan to feel the same way!
9.gif

Thanks again!

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 1:11:08 PM
Author: belle
Date: 11/20/2006 1:00:31 PM

Author: StarSpun

your link didn''t work for me starspun

8.gif

Hmmm, that''s odd! Well it''s in the diamond setting area....it''s the ''Sculpted Round w/ Platinum one. Very cool!

sculptedroundwplatinum.jpg

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
If your concerned about strength, just in mind that Platinum is still a super strong material. Perhaps you wouldn''t make a space shuttle out of it...lol, but it is an awesome choice for an engagement ring. Super safe especially if you choose 6 prongs.

There are also some good sites listed around here for titanium wedding bands.. and they are not all that expensive, therefore perhaps you want to spend the extra buckage on your engagement ring and save on the wedding bands.
Good luck

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
very, very pretty starspun. i think that setting looks nikawa-esque. lovely.
3.gif

Scott Mackey

Rough_Rock
Platinum is a beautiful metal. However tension set rings do require allot of pressure and being that platinum is soft it can loose its tension easier than titanium. Don''t get me wrong though because I love platinum. My fiance''s antique ring is platinum with a 1.13ct round brilliant diamond with 4 prongs and 2 tips on each. But if I were to get a tension set ring I would recommend titanium since it will never loose its tension. Once highly polished it would be difficult to tell the difference between the two metals. Not until scratched could you even tell that titanium has a little darker color. But the contrast between the darker metal and your diamond would be a very nice look. I think that for regular prong mounting that platinum is the top metal, but for tension set I would go with a titanium ring.

etienneperret

Rough_Rock
Looking for a tension ring in platinum. I would suggest a Kretchmer tension ring. They have developed a patented platinum alloy that is far harder and springier than the traditional platinum alloys. Their designs are not cheap, however nobody makes a finer tension ring that wears better due to the special alloy they use. The rings due not scratch as much as normal platinum or palladium white gold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results