shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Setting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dms23

Rough_Rock
My fiancee received her round solitaire 1.74 four prong platinum engagement ring about 3 months ago, and recently the stone became loose. She took it to a local jeweler (not the one received the ring from) and they said that it would be a recurring problem since the setting was molded wrong. Specifically, they said:

#1-the cut in one of the 4 prongs (called the SEAT) is rounded instead of cut to shape the stone...this makes the stone shift and come loose.

#2-The prongs were cut too short...so they arent secure over the top.

#3-Several people said that it was fairly obvious that the setting was made for a 1.5 size stone, and that the prongs were just bended out to fit the bigger stone...its obvious if you look under the microscope, you can even see a spot where it might have broken and was re-soddered. The stone needs a 1.75 setting, which will allow it to be set a little higher, and also leave a bit more metal on top to secure the stone.

I have sent the ring back to where we bought it, and will be demanding a new setting. The jeweler (I will keep unnamed) is very reputable (even on this board) and has stores throughout the DC area. Do you have any suggestions as to how I go about replacing the setting. The truth is, the problems were caused by them. Has anyone else had similar problems?

I don''t want them to try and repair the setting, since it will likely just delay the problem. I figure that the huge investment that I put into it should require them to stand behind their product and completely replace the setting, right?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi DMS,

you''ll have to check on the return policy of the place you bought it from. most places have some type of manufactures warranty and if the wrong size head was used for your ring, then they should fix it. It would be nice if they will replace it for you but depending on their policy they may only offer to do what it takes to fix it, if that is even covered. sorry I can''t be of more help. What does your agreement/receipt say?

also wanted to add that many times a slightly larger stone can be fit into a head. if you purchased a stock setting and it wasn''t made exactly for your stone the prongs can be adjusted to accomodate the mm size of the stone it''s holding. It should however be done so your stone doesn''t keep coming loose. hopefully, the vendor will fix it for you.

dms23

Rough_Rock
Does it make a difference if the setting was from a designer and supposedly designed especially for her? (Judith Conway).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
was your stone sent to the designer to be set? I know Pearlmans always recommmends having the stones sent for the designers to set themselves. He said most setting problems occur when the local jewelers do the setting. Butterfly, a pricescope member, had this happen with Ritani. Her local jeweler messed up the prongs and set her stone wrong. she ended up contactly Ritani directly and they fixed the problem for her. Anyway, if the designer set it, definitely it should be sent back and they should fix it. If the local jeweler set it, I''d see if they will send it to the designer to be fixed.

analyticangel

Rough_Rock
Hi DMS
Am very interested in hearing the outcome witrh the ring?
Do you have a pic you can post ?

I was considering a Judith Conway setting?
I wondered if you were happy with the setting and if the mistake was made at the place you bought the setting and they set the ring or if you think this was a manufacture defect?

I know you said it was a discontinued setting. Can you describe it? Is there one similar?

Good luck ....keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results