shape
carat
color
clarity

platinum polishing question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
My one year anniversary is coming up and I was wondering if it is possible to have my platinum rings polished so they look like new. In a previous marriage, I had yellow gold rings and once a year or so I would ask a mall jeweler to clean and buff them for me while I waited. It only took a minute and was free, and they were sooooo shiny--just like new. Is it possible to do this with platinum, and if so, is it a more intensive process? Is this the sort of thing where I would have to drop off my rings for a few days? About how much do you think a jeweler would charge? TIA

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, platinum can be polished, no sweat. Any jeweler who deals with platinum should be able to do it. Depending on how busy you are you may have to drop off the ring for a few days but it''s worth it - they look brand new! Don''t know how much they charge...haven''t gotten it done. Likely will vary somewhat between jewelers. Call around, it shouldn''t be too expensive.

Thanks for the response! I wasn''t sure how big of a deal it would be, or if this is even something that people with platinum rings do. The last time I was at a jewelry store, they offered to clean my rings--and they did look nice, but I could still see all the scratches in the metal. When I had the yg, it always came back with all the scratches buffed out. Just wanted to make sure this wasn''t a crazy idea before I went into a jewelry store and looked like an idiot!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I recently had a different stone put in my platinum ring and my jeweler polished it for me for free while he was setting the new stone. It looks like brand new now and it didn''t take long at all!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
A proper refinish will typically include a good cleaning, checking all prongs and repolish. If you hire it done it may be in the neighborhood of $50 (ymmv). It doesn't take long, but making an appointment is always prudent: A scheduled time is better than someone trying to please a walk-in and rushing the job. As usual, be sure the jeweler has a reputation for high quality work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results