carat
color
clarity

Plastic bag charge in NYC coming soon but unequal treatment

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Plastic bag charge in NYC coming soon but unequal treatm

Missy, I'm not entirely sure, but I think that its supposed to help keep the parking lot clean. Trust me it does! Lots of lower income people use Aldies, and if you don't have it to lose, you'll take the basket back so you can get your money back.

Plus, Aldies doesn't employ baggers or people to retrieve shopping baskets, which probably helps to keep the prices down too. Its a pretty bare bones type of grocery store.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I am in CA and have lived in three counties that have implemented this. Sprouts, Safeway and Target all gave away 2 free bags, nice ones at the start. I don't see why welfare recipients can't be given free bags. The stores can take it out of the money they collect off the bags.

Here they started at 10 cents. In the last county we livied in they raised it to 25 cents. And then it went to $1.00 this year. Which I think is sucks. In the county I am now in it's stayed at 10 cents, which I think is fair. All the stores upgraded thier bag quality now that we have to pay. You get REALLY nice multiple use bags now for ten cents at some places.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian|1462749436|4029088 said:
Missy, I'm not entirely sure, but I think that its supposed to help keep the parking lot clean. Trust me it does! Lots of lower income people use Aldies, and if you don't have it to lose, you'll take the basket back so you can get your money back.

Plus, Aldies doesn't employ baggers or people to retrieve shopping baskets, which probably helps to keep the prices down too. Its a pretty bare bones type of grocery store.

I like this idea, thanks Arcadian. I find it so inconsiderate when people just leave their shopping carts in the middle of the parking lot. So rude and so lazy. I like the idea of holding people accountable for returning them to their original spots. Great idea. Hope they implement it here.

Gypsy said:
I am in CA and have lived in three counties that have implemented this. Sprouts, Safeway and Target all gave away 2 free bags, nice ones at the start. I don't see why welfare recipients can't be given free bags. The stores can take it out of the money they collect off the bags.

Here they started at 10 cents. In the last county we livied in they raised it to 25 cents. And then it went to $1.00 this year. Which I think is sucks. In the county I am now in it's stayed at 10 cents, which I think is fair. All the stores upgraded thier bag quality now that we have to pay. You get REALLY nice multiple use bags now for ten cents at some places.

That's a really good idea Gypsy and I agree. Not sure why some people don't like this idea. Give welfare recipients free bags and call it a day. Everyone gets to do their part for the environment. No excuses. Win win. Let's face it many people are lazy and will use any excuse to avoid taking their part of the responsibility for a clean world. No reason to add to those excuses. Easy enough to let everyone have the chance to make the right and best choices for a cleaner greener world.

Monnie, we did our part for World Naked Gardening day LOL. I can email you pics if you would like or maybe I should just post them on FB... :lol: Does FB allow naked pics? :devil:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy, indoor gardening doesn't count! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1462796061|4029238 said:
Missy, indoor gardening doesn't count! :lol:

Haha fair enough! :lol: :oops:

Seriously though we did plan on planting another tree in our backyard this past Sunday but postponed it till next week because we need just the right tree to fit in with the others and need more time to find the right one. So funny because we actually were going to garden on the world gardening day. Not naked though as our neighbors would complain. They are so difficult. 8) Yeah so the naked gardening has to be left for indoors sadly. :halo:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm waiting for DF to jump in and request pics from World Naked Gardening Day. He's missing out on Missy's offer to post on FB or e-mail :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean|1462800388|4029252 said:
I'm waiting for DF to jump in and request pics from World Naked Gardening Day. He's missing out on Missy's offer to post on FB or e-mail :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not a member of FB... ;(

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1462861820|4029670 said:

Here you go, DF.

worldngday.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1462896650|4029807 said:

Here you go, DF.
:lol:

Rena7

Shiny_Rock

For me I don't really mind to just put my groceries back in my cart without a bag. I have been doing that at Costco for years since they don't have bags. That is also what we did when we were on vacation in a town that had the plastic bag ban. I would have trouble with ever bringing enough of my own bags since I never know how many items I will be purchasing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We still have places that do charge for bags but for some shops where the whole thing failed like Target here, what they did was they now use bags that decompose. So the ones that after a few months fall into a billion small pieces. They break down really easily. Some shops also have paper instead of plastic bags.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's surprisingly easy to bring your own bags, honestly. It did take about 6-9 months for us to get the hang of it. But we've been doing it for years here.

What you do:
* You buy several bags for yourself. If you are woman you can get some really super thin super strong bags that you can put in your handbag at all times. Costco sells them in packs of like 4-5 for ones like this: http://www.amazon.com/EcoJeannie%C2%AE-Foldable-Reusable-Shopping-RBS031/dp/B00ICN2JCE

* Buy some that don't compact like that. Trader Joes has the best quality bags with the best size for the best price, including a really nice insulated bag for 6ish bucks.

*You empty the bags after you use them and put them next to your purse so that next time you go out to the car, you take them with you.

Advantages of taking your own bag: The bags you take are much stronger and you can fit a lot more per bag. So you use less of them.

Contrary to protestations of lazy people to the contrary, you usually DO know approximately how many bags you are going to need. How? Well, if you are going "exploratory" grocery shopping for a lot of groceries, you take a lot. If you are just going into the store for a couple items, you take one or two.

Worst thing that can happen is that you forget your bags or leave in the car, or you don't take enough. If you leave them in the car you can go back out and get them. Or you can just take the groceries out to your car and bag them there. Not the end of the world at all.

If you forget them, worst case scenario you pay 10 cents per bag. Not exactly a budget buster for most people.

It is frankly both entitled and selfish you are middle class or upper middle class can't figure out how to do it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is pretty easy and we have also been doing this at Costco for over a decade now. It is easier if you live in the suburbs and/or take a car to grocery shop that's the truth but doable for everyone nonetheless. I think it's selfish of anyone who doesn't want to do their part and not just the middle class and wealthy. If bags are provided for those on welfare I don't see an obstacle for anyone to work for a greener future. My feeling is if we all just do it and not rationalize and come up with excuses as to why we don't want to or cannot do it we will all be better off for it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh well, too bad, so sad. Maybe next year DF. 8) :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results