shape
carat
color
clarity

Plasma or HDTV??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, just saw this...but there is a special cleaner for LCDs at Best Buy. The guy that installed ours said never use Windex on an LCD. Hope this helps!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I have 2 Sony Bravia''s (LCDs)(there are also different models of the Sony Bravia so you have to read the specs carefully to make sure it has what you need and want) One we bought about 4 years ago and the other about a year ago. We love them both and have been watching whatever digital channels there have been with clear vibrant crisp pictures. We bought the 1st one at Circuit City and the second one at Sears, both for a great price. If you want to see great reviews on electronics check out www.cnet.com. I have used this site a great deal when we purchased our digital camera, dvd camcorder, all in one printer, etc. You may find it helpful.

Also, TVs go on sale (the bigger ones) just before the Superbowl so you may want to check out a few before then and then look for those sales.

I also am registered at www.ebates.com and we went through their website to both Circuit City and Sears to buy the tv on-line and then pickup at store. I get anywhere from 1 to 20% discount + special offers, like free shipping or additional discounts. On Black Friday they had a number of stores which offered up to a double discount and my husband and I made out like bandits. I get a rebate check mailed to me about 3 times per year and in about 4 years have received over $500.00 back from them.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
sorry, I meant Samsung LCD HDTV, it''s not a plasma.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
We just got a 42" panasonic plasma for $650 from amazon. We love it! while LCD has it's advantages, in the end I thought the plasma picture was more "true to life" - no pixelization, fast moving stuff looks good, and faces/skin tones looked better.

It is a personal decision though. I'd recommend going to a best buy and looking at all the options they have there - not necessarily to buy, but see what you like, and what looks better to YOUR eye. It's sort of like going ACA vs. OEC -- both are different and have their own unique charactaristics and beauty.

If you do go plasma, panasonic is the highest rated. We chose ours from looking at reviews from consumer reports.

PS What I've heard is that burn in issues with plasmas have improved - that influenced our decision. Obviously we will not pause something overnight, but ok for tivo for a few minutes, etc. If we are going to be away for a long while, we will turn off the screen anyways to save power!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 12:14:51 PM
Author: soocool
My husband and I have 2 Sony Bravia''s (LCDs)(there are also different models of the Sony Bravia so you have to read the specs carefully to make sure it has what you need and want) One we bought about 4 years ago and the other about a year ago. We love them both and have been watching whatever digital channels there have been with clear vibrant crisp pictures. We bought the 1st one at Circuit City and the second one at Sears, both for a great price. If you want to see great reviews on electronics check out www.cnet.com. I have used this site a great deal when we purchased our digital camera, dvd camcorder, all in one printer, etc. You may find it helpful.

Also, TVs go on sale (the bigger ones) just before the Superbowl so you may want to check out a few before then and then look for those sales.

I also am registered at www.ebates.com and we went through their website to both Circuit City and Sears to buy the tv on-line and then pickup at store. I get anywhere from 1 to 20% discount + special offers, like free shipping or additional discounts. On Black Friday they had a number of stores which offered up to a double discount and my husband and I made out like bandits. I get a rebate check mailed to me about 3 times per year and in about 4 years have received over $500.00 back from them.
Thanks so much for the cnet and ebates links! Lots of info there.

I think we''ve pretty much settled on the Samsung A650. Future Shop here in Canada carries a similar A750 which apparently is made for them. Their price on the A750 is $ 2600. plus taxes (13% in Ontario) which adds up very quickly.

I don''t want to buy from an online store even if it''s cheaper because I''d appreciate the flexibility of being able to return it if we didn''t like it.

If anyone spots an A650 for around $2000. which is available in Canada, I''d appreciate hearing about it. Thanks so much.
35.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 3:30:37 PM
Author: isaku5

Thanks so much for the cnet and ebates links! Lots of info there.

I think we've pretty much settled on the Samsung A650. Future Shop here in Canada carries a similar A750 which apparently is made for them. Their price on the A750 is $ 2600. plus taxes (13% in Ontario) which adds up very quickly.

I don't want to buy from an online store even if it's cheaper because I'd appreciate the flexibility of being able to return it if we didn't like it.

If anyone spots an A650 for around $2000. which is available in Canada, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks so much.
35.gif

Hi, that's the one we bought actually, the LN52a650, it rated an editors choice award on CNET, so my husband wanted to get it. I purchased from Amazon.com. They had the best price at $1999, free white glove service ( which includes free delivery as well) and had a $200 instant off rebate if I purchased the Samsung blu ray player at the same time. So, I basically got the blu ray for $4 after the rebate.

Also, they sell the 3 year warranty for only $232, so I purchased that as well. To purchase directly from Samsung, it is $600+.

The Whiteglove service is wonderful. Best Buy charges $500 for the service, Buydig charges $400 for the service. They delivered it to whichever room I wanted, unpacked it, actually hung it on the stand for me, plugged it and checked that the TV and the remote was working. They took all the packaging with them as well.

Lastly, I ordered the TV and blu ray on Monday and received the blu ray Tues and the TV on Thurs. They called me on Tues. to schedule delivery.

I think it is actually a little bit cheaper now if you look. I am not sure.

Good luck with your purchase!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought a 46" Sharp Aquos LCD about a month ago and we love it! My husband did a lot of research, it was a PITA!
Good luck!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
You''re right about Amazon.com having a price below $2k, but when converted to CAD, it ends up being about the same as the others.

I did find one source in our area that carries the A650 at $2100., but they''re sold out at the moment. With that price they offer a Blu-ray at $200. If the price is guaranteed for the new stock, there shouldn''t be a problem. I tried phoning, but no one in that dept. was available to take a call. I''ll try again tomorrow.

FWIW, Future Shop in Canada doesn''t carry that model.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 10:50:11 PM
You''re right about Amazon.com having a price below $2k, but when converted to CAD, it ends up being about the same as the others.

I did find one source in our area that carries the A650 at $2100., but they''re sold out at the moment. With that price they offer a Blu-ray at $200. If the price is guaranteed for the new stock, there shouldn''t be a problem. I tried phoning, but no one in that dept. was available to take a call. I''ll try again tomorrow.

FWIW, Future Shop in Canada doesn''t carry that model.
My error!! The A650 that I was referring to is a plasma! It seems that in Canada, we don''t have the Samsung LCD A650; we have an A630 which has many of the same features, but is more expensive and rated lower by consumers
7.gif
. I knew it couldn''t be this easy
38.gif

Any other Canadians out there with suggestions?? Help!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
An update on our search for the next TV. Last Wednesday we had a chance to go to a BB about half an hour''s drive from us. We had a good look and a salesman who showed us various models from different manufacturers. I had thought that with the Superbowl coming up very soon, there would be deals floating around all over the place, but we saw very few reductions in price.

Our favourite is a 52" Samsung LCD model A650, but the best price we could get at BB was $2599. for just the TV. The only way the price would come down, was if we added extended warranty for about $450 for 4 years (which brought the TV price down by $200). If we were to puchase an extended warranty, it would be for 2 years max, but the TV price remained the same.

On Friday, we were bombarded with ads for TV''s and one special price caught our eye. It was an A850 for just under 3k. I visited a couple of A/V sites to find out how actual users liked the A850. The reviews ranged from WOW to no way, I''m going to return mine asap. Our local store had two 850''s: one a 46" model and the other a 52". Both pictures were clean and crisp and so realistic that you felt as though you could reach in and grab whatever was being offered.

I''m not sure of our next move, but right now it''s looking like the 650, 750 or 850.

If anyone owns any one of those models, I''d appreciate your input.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2009 10:55:09 PM

Our favourite is a 52' Samsung LCD model A650, but the best price we could get at BB was $2599. for just the TV. The only way the price would come down, was if we added extended warranty for about $450 for 4 years (which brought the TV price down by $200). If we were to puchase an extended warranty, it would be for 2 years max, but the TV price remained the same.

On Friday, we were bombarded with ads for TV's and one special price caught our eye. It was an A850 for just under 3k. I visited a couple of A/V sites to find out how actual users liked the A850. The reviews ranged from WOW to no way, I'm going to return mine asap. Our local store had two 850's: one a 46' model and the other a 52'. Both pictures were clean and crisp and so realistic that you felt as though you could reach in and grab whatever was being offered.

I'm not sure of our next move, but right now it's looking like the 650, 750 or 850.

If anyone owns any one of those models, I'd appreciate your input.
$1900 at Amazon
2.gif
don't fall for those extended warranty BS !!
20.gif
it AIN'T worth it
38.gif

love them Samsung with ToC frame
30.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 1:31:21 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Our favourite is a 52'' Samsung LCD model A650, but the best price we could get at BB was $2599. for just the TV. The only way the price would come down, was if we added extended warranty for about $450 for 4 years (which brought the TV price down by $200). If we were to puchase an extended warranty, it would be for 2 years max, but the TV price remained the same.

On Friday, we were bombarded with ads for TV''s and one special price caught our eye. It was an A850 for just under 3k. I visited a couple of A/V sites to find out how actual users liked the A850. The reviews ranged from WOW to no way, I''m going to return mine asap. Our local store had two 850''s: one a 46'' model and the other a 52''. Both pictures were clean and crisp and so realistic that you felt as though you could reach in and grab whatever was being offered.

I''m not sure of our next move, but right now it''s looking like the 650, 750 or 850.

$1900 at Amazon
2.gif
don''t fall for those extended warranty BS !!
20.gif
it AIN''T worth it
38.gif

love them Samsung with ToC frame
30.gif
Thanks, DF, but the deal is for the US on Amazon.com. The TV has a 1 yr. US warranty which doesn''t help us Canadians (invalid from what I''ve read). If it were on Amazon.ca, I''d be all over it in a heartbeat.
36.gif
35.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
An update on our search for the next TV. Last Wednesday we had a chance to go to a BB about half an hour''s drive from us. We had a good look and a salesman who showed us various models from different manufacturers. I had thought that with the Superbowl coming up very soon, there would be deals floating around all over the place, but we saw very few reductions in price.

Our favourite is a 52'' Samsung LCD model A650, but the best price we could get at BB was $2599. for just the TV. The only way the price would come down, was if we added extended warranty for about $450 for 4 years (which brought the TV price down by $200). If we were to puchase an extended warranty, it would be for 2 years max, but the TV price remained the same.

On Friday, we were bombarded with ads for TV''s and one special price caught our eye. It was an A850 for just under 3k. I visited a couple of A/V sites to find out how actual users liked the A850. The reviews ranged from WOW to no way, I''m going to return mine asap. Our local store had two 850''s: one a 46'' model and the other a 52''. Both pictures were clean and crisp and so realistic that you felt as though you could reach in and grab whatever was being offered.

I see the search continues
1.gif

We purchased the LN52A750 Samsung and it has the The "touch of color" frame DF refers to. I am LOVING this television!!!
36.gif
So far, the only downside of this model is that in a sunny room there will be a reflection. I had read about this issue in some of the reviews, but so many of the other positive features made this more of a minor issue for us.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Libster. The current plan is to see whether FS will price match that deal on the 850 that was on sale at 2001 A/V. With 2001, if your set needs repair, you have to take it to them whereas with FS, a rep will come to the house to diagnose the problem. It seems like a small matter, but we''d have to hire a truck and driver to get that baby back to the store.

Who knows whether the "current plan" will be followed as I have yet to tell DH.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results