shape
carat
color
clarity

Plasma or HDTV??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
We''re looking to buy a replacement for our current 50" TV which is about 4 years old. We''re looking for the same screen size, but something more updated (flat screen?) that has less of an "industrial" look especially on its metal stand.

Any recommendations??

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you mean Plasma or LCD?

Well, depends on lots of factors - is anyone going to be playing video games on this TV, is there LOTS of light in the room, how is the viewing angle going to be, and what's the source of your signal?

The common concensus is that plasma is better for movies and not-so-bright rooms, and LCD is better for gaming because of the fear of ghosting in plasmas. Plasmas are supposed to have blacker blacks. I've heard great things about Pioneer, Panasonic, and have personal great experience with Samsung.

My husband and I bought a 50" 720P Samsung Plasma for the living room. We bought at the end of 06, so we do lament not buying a 1080P, which we'll probably do within the next couple of years. Although we have lots of HUGE windows in our living room, the glass of the plasma is not reflective, so we have no problem watching the TV without glare.

My husband has a 32" Samsung LCD in his office, and he does most of his gaming in there.

Also, the best thing about flat screens is you can wall mount them above an low-ish entertainment credenze, and if you're really DIY conscious, hide those wires behind your wall for a super high end look.

www.firefold.com has been incredibly great for my husband to buy cables from. DON'T buy the Monster cables from Best Buy/Circuit City/etc. - they will rip you off and a decent HDMI cable is only about $10 - $20 for a 10 footer. Not $100+!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Lauren, and of course I meant LCD
20.gif

The light that the family room gets is from the patio doors - basically two panes of glass; these could be covered with Roman shades or something similar.

We don''t do gaming at all, nor are we avid sports fans. I watch TV for about half an hour in the morning and then DH and I watch a couple of programs in the evening.

Prices seem reasonable right now so I''ll try to find info on Panasonic Viera, Samsung, and Pioneer.
35.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got a 52" flat panel 1080p Samsung LCD in July from Amazon and are really happy w/it. Hubby and dad put it on the wall and it really opens up the living room.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the second Samsung endorsement. Our current TV is a Samsung and we''ve had no problems with it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i need a new TV too.all 3 of my TV are over 20 yrs old.
5.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you compared both? I really dislike plasma screens, even after they''ve been correctly configured. Our only TV is a huge Samsung LCD, we''ve been quite happy with it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2009 2:47:48 AM
Author: Haven
Have you compared both? I really dislike plasma screens, even after they''ve been correctly configured. Our only TV is a huge Samsung LCD, we''ve been quite happy with it.

Ditto. Except our only tv is a medium Samsung.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-Samsung seems to be the going favorite!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
We recently purchased a 46" 1080p Samsung LCD tv - we absolutely love it and I couldn''t recommend it more....it''s beautiful and very chic looking
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a Sharp 1080 LCD and have had no problems. I am really strange and hate when they have silver frames. I find them really distracting so I love that the frame on our sharp is all black.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
We have yet to spend a decent time period actually comparing both types. Just before Christmas, I had a quick look around Future Shop while I was there picking up a case for DH''s GPS.

I appreciate everyone''s input and will definitely not rule out the either the plasma or the LCD, although the LCD Samsung leads the pack in the responses.

Thanks to all and may the new year bring you health, happiness and prosperity.
36.gif
35.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya

We have a plasma and an LCD tv. The Hitachi Plasma 42" which we''ve had for 3 years, has been great, no problems so far. The only problem with the plasma is that we can''t keep the Sky+ on pause (TIVO in US) cos it could burn into the screen so we need to treat it differently from the LCD. Its not a big issue but its something that does bother me and we''re both quite precious about it. We use the plasma for the Wii and the PS3 and it works a treat.

Our LG LCD is a 32" which we have in the bedroom.......I know I love my movies so need my telly..........is a crackin tv. We''ve only had this one for 3 months but I love it. The picture is excellent and we can treat it like an ''old'' telly, leave the Sky+ on pause for ages etc.

There is a difference in picture quality IMHO with the plasma being sharper and mirroring what Lauren said, you don''t get any reflections off a plasma. So, there are advantages and disadvantages with both but the main difference is the price, although I''m sure with the state the World''s economy is in just now, you''ll get a good deal regardless of what you go for.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
My DH has had a Samsung 40" LCD in his "man room" for a couple of years and loves it. We have had a Mitsubishi 50" rear-projection in the family room for 14 years and it finally gave out. We just purchased the Samsung 52" (LN52A750) and are waiting for it to be delivered today
9.gif

I'm hoping we enjoy it as much as the other Samsung. So another vote for Samsung
35.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I gotr my husband the top of the line 46" Sony Bravia for his b-day last year, and he loves it - it''s LCD HDTV, not plasma. We didn''t go with plasma because we have a toddler who loves to play with his golf clubs in the house, and I heard that one whack on the screen would damage a plasma. The LCD picture is great, but it''s really exceptional on the more high end models.

The TV also has a pretty lucite "frame" around the TV, so it''s a cool addition to the living room.

Good luck!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 11:13:21 AM
Author: Po10472

Hiya

We have a plasma and an LCD tv. The Hitachi Plasma 42'' which we''ve had for 3 years, has been great, no problems so far. The only problem with the plasma is that we can''t keep the Sky+ on pause (TIVO in US) cos it could burn into the screen so we need to treat it differently from the LCD. Its not a big issue but its something that does bother me and we''re both quite precious about it. We use the plasma for the Wii and the PS3 and it works a treat.

Our LG LCD is a 32'' which we have in the bedroom.......I know I love my movies so need my telly..........is a crackin tv. We''ve only had this one for 3 months but I love it. The picture is excellent and we can treat it like an ''old'' telly, leave the Sky+ on pause for ages etc.

There is a difference in picture quality IMHO with the plasma being sharper and mirroring what Lauren said, you don''t get any reflections off a plasma. So, there are advantages and disadvantages with both but the main difference is the price, although I''m sure with the state the World''s economy is in just now, you''ll get a good deal regardless of what you go for.
With pixel shift, newer plasmas don''t have the burn-in problem of the earlier plasmas. Also, with our slightly older plasma, there is a button you push that forces the pixel shift, and removes any potentially burnt in images.

To be safe though, if you have kids, and plan on mounting the TV at a height they can get to it, I would go LCD all the way.

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
I have a 40 inch 1080p LCD Toshiba I got from Costco recently. I think it''s awesome! Since my PS3 plays BluRay movies, I haven''t gone to the theater because they look better at home!
9.gif

You might want to check costco.com- I know their items include shipping and sometimes they even run bundle deals where you can get multiple TVs at a discounted price
2.gif

Here''s a link to a 52'' and 32'' inch Sharp combo for only $1800 Combo Pack!
Good luck- and make sure you go with something 1080p!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 2:19:08 AM
Author: oneandahalfrock
I have a 40 inch 1080p LCD Toshiba I got from Costco recently. I think it''s awesome!
Ditto. We picked up the same one and are just thrilled. Price, quality, picture. We''re very happy with it. Plus it has the Costco 2 year warranty, 90 day return policy, AND since we bought it on our Amex, apparently we got an addition 1 year warranty extension. Can''t beat that.

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 3:33:28 AM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 1/3/2009 2:19:08 AM

Author: oneandahalfrock

I have a 40 inch 1080p LCD Toshiba I got from Costco recently. I think it''s awesome!
Ditto. We picked up the same one and are just thrilled. Price, quality, picture. We''re very happy with it. Plus it has the Costco 2 year warranty, 90 day return policy, AND since we bought it on our Amex, apparently we got an addition 1 year warranty extension. Can''t beat that.
I had no idea about the extra year if you bought it with your Amex- lol, now I''m glad I did the same, but disappointed that I didn''t get my 3% back since it was a $500+ purchase
2.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
We also have a Samsung 1080 LCD and love it. The picture quality is amazing. We mounted it to the wall and it looks really good!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all your replies and help. I feel much more confident about making a purchase in the not too distant future.
36.gif
35.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do y''all clean your screens? Mind has little baby hand prints all over it and I am scared I will hurt the screen with a cleaner!
20.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori, our tv came w/some kind of special cloth to use..it worked well too b/c our son drew on it w/marker and it came off.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Today, we go for our first look at what''s available (and affordable, lol)
36.gif
36.gif

You know, I love the picture on our 50" Samsung DLP, it''s the industrial look of it perched on one of those ugly metal stands that I''d like to get rid of. The TV is flat planel, but it''s 19" of *deep* ugliness that can''t be hidden as it''s at the entrance to the family/media room.

Our DDL suggested the same setup as they have with console, towers and bridge etc. , but to me that now looks old-fashioned. I''m tempted by a whole new package - lovely media console with a *thin* flat screen. When I mention anything about it, hubby just sees more $$$ flying out the window....however, I do have a private stash
9.gif
which I''ll only mention when/if he catches the *bug*.

Both he and I are in shock that I''m the one pushing for sleek electronics
27.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t wait to hear about what you find!

This change in televisions and the resultant need to upgrade cable and Tivo to high-def, plus purchase a stand has been something I''ve dreaded. I knew the old rear projection was on it''s last leg so I had been preparing myself for awhile. I can say without a doubt I''m loving the new Samsung!!! I had no clue that there would be such a difference in the picture.

We are lucky that we have a 72" wall opening designed to hold an entertainment center. Previously we just had the old projection TV in the wall pocket and all the other electronics stacked on top. DH wanted to hang the LCD but I convinced him I would come up with a stand that would blend in with our family room decor. Here is the stand we found:
http://www.standsandmounts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8588 They offer free shipping which really pushed me to order, even though I knew we would have to assemble it. Assembly went surprisingly well and it''s super sturdy and really a great looking and functional piece.

Good luck on your search
35.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 4:42:21 PM
Author: Libster
I can''t wait to hear about what you find!

This change in televisions and the resultant need to upgrade cable and Tivo to high-def, plus purchase a stand has been something I''ve dreaded. I knew the old rear projection was on it''s last leg so I had been preparing myself for awhile. I can say without a doubt I''m loving the new Samsung!!! I had no clue that there would be such a difference in the picture.

We are lucky that we have a 72'' wall opening designed to hold an entertainment center. Previously we just had the old projection TV in the wall pocket and all the other electronics stacked on top. DH wanted to hang the LCD but I convinced him I would come up with a stand that would blend in with our family room decor. Here is the stand we found:
http://www.standsandmounts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8588 They offer free shipping which really pushed me to order, even though I knew we would have to assemble it. Assembly went surprisingly well and it''s super sturdy and really a great looking and functional piece.

Good luck on your search
35.gif

Thanks for the good luck wishes, Libster!! They were much appreciated!

First off, the store with the largest stock and most choices was packed on a Saturday afternoon. I think there were many, like us, who were *just looking*.

We knew going in that we wanted a 50" screen; this decision was confirmed by our salesman when we provided sightlines and room size. Then came the really tough part: picking favourites from the plasma and LCD variations. My hubby seemed to favour the LCD''s with 120 Hz and 1080p, but these were several hundred dollars more expensive. Worth it? I don''t know because we don''t play games or watch sports on it anyway. His argument was that we should buy the latest technology, and what about the action movies we watch?

The only plasma that grabbed our attention was the Panasonic Viera. As I had read very good reviews about it online, it was thrown into the mix too.

We also saw excellent pictures on display LG, Sony and Sharp LCD''s. The 52" Samsung models had great pictures, but also a price tag that was about $500. more than we wanted to spend. After all the Samsung recommendatios by PS''ers, maybe they''re worth it.
33.gif

I''m not sure where I got the idea that plasmas are more expensive than LCD''s, but, as many of you know, just the opposite is true.

So far no decision has been made and much research has to be done before we pick THE ONE.
3.gif

Thanks for the link to the TV stands too; we''ll need something like those as well.
35.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
We own a 46" Sharp Acquos and a Panasonic Viera. We purchased the LCD first as we were worried about the burning issue and it didn't have 1080. With improved plasma technology and a good pricing deal, we picked up the Panasonic. The Panasonic Viera definetly out performs the Sharp to a point that we are ready to get rid of the Sharp. We are going to stick with Plasmas from now on. Our next TV will be a 50" Pioneer plasma but I feel bad as both our TVs are about a than a year old and doesn't really need to be replaced. The Pioneers are pricey but the Panasonic comes close in performance at a lower price point. I have been told that Pioneer will be manufactured by Panasonic at the end of this year.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the endorsement of the Panasonic Viera. That was one of the very few plasmas that our salesman had kind words for.
9.gif

I understand your concern about getting rid of relatively new TV''s. I asked our guy whether he had any suggestions for our current three year old model and his reply was that if we gave the delivery guys $20., they might get rid of it for us
23.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 10:02:17 AM
Author: packrat
Wow-Samsung seems to be the going favorite!

Must be! Here''s another vote for Samsung LCD!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I just got one in Nov. for my husband. It's a Samsung 52" Plasma LCD. I also have a 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma, but it is about 3 yrs. old. I love the LCD much better.

Extremely happy with it and now we don't fight with what to watch, sports or sports?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results