shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Tourmaline is finished!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Good morning!
Several months ago, I went looking for a large sparkly "pink stone" to have a ring made from...so I contacted Jeff White to see what he may have, since I had often admired the stones that he posted on Facebook and the ones on his website. I had a specific desire for something in the 10mm range, as I want the stone to be the star.

He responded that he had a Pink Tourmaline, that should cut to a 9-10 square cushion that was from material that was mined back in the early 90s in Mozambique. That it was a lovely shade of pink and that the clarity was very good as well...Yes! sounded great to me! Let's do it! I asked him to take a "before" picture of the rough.

This morning I received a message and pictures! "The vitals are: 5.37 ct. and 10.07 mm! Color and clarity extremely good., It is essentially loupe-clean"

Now, I need help deciding how to set her! I can't wait to have her in person! The pictures look amazing, but we all know that it's what IRL that makes us really happy!

Here are pictures that he sent this morning, of the rough and the stone.

_34533.jpg

pink_20.jpg

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness -- that is just gorgeous!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
How beautiful!! With a stone that size I would go for a simple solitaire, maybe double claw prongs? But a halo would really bling it out...what are you thinking?

picante27

Shiny_Rock
It is beautiful! I know you are excited to see it in person. Please post some more pics when you get it!
I think a big, pretty stone like that would be perfect in a simple solitaire. I love double claw prongs, so that gets my vote too.
Congrats!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
wow it is gorgeous!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! :love: What kind of setting are you thinking of using? :wavey:

S

SparkliesLuver

What an outcome!! :love: :lickout:

I second Rockinruby's setting question as that might help people offer suggestions.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the comments! I think it looks perfect for what I was envisioning!

I am actually torn between something simple...or full bling-out. The finger I will be probably wearing it on is about size 8, maybe 8.25. (right hand, probably middle finger)

My ER is a simple 6 prong tiffany style solitaire, so I think I need a little more than that.

I love double-claw prongs. Maybe something with some engraving in the shank or something a little special in the gallery, not too much. Halo-ing it may satisfy my desire to halo my ER-which I keep fighting, but it might be too cocktail-ringy for this large of a stone. I want it to still be classy and be able to wear it often.

I wear YG mostly, because that's where I started, my WB is YG, and my DH is very sentimental about not changing that. I have a beautiful YG tennis bracelet that I wear regularly on my right wrist, so may want the ring to be YG, although I see so many platinum beauties I wonder...

I like a style where the band comes up to meet the stone setting, like cathedral sides, I want the stone to meld into the setting and be fluid. Does this rambling give you any ideas? :)

I will have the stone in hand tomorrow!

S

SparkliesLuver

It did help. Thank you. :)

If you're already concerned about it looking too cocktail-ish with a halo, then I'd skip the halo (or consider a micro halo). There's plenty you can do with the gallery, basket, and the shank to spice it up a little. Also, what do you think about kite-setting the stone? Just curious. This thread might spur some creative juices as well:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-galleries-and-baskets.204486/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-galleries-and-baskets.204486/[/URL]

Double claw prongs sound delicious. :D I think yellow gold would look pretty with the pink, especially since that's your comfort zone. However, white would look great as well.

Do you know the depth of the stone? I assume it'll be pretty deep, but it'd be great to find out just how deep. Please keep this in mind as you move forward since it might sit higher than you're used to.

None of these are cathedral shank, but I think they offer a great starting point. :)

micro_halo.jpg

_34541.jpg

pear-shaped-cluster-encrusted-side-diamonds.jpg

_34542.jpg

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Wow, those are all gorgeous inspirations! Love the gallery on that YG one too!
I'll try to find a few that have caught my eye.
I have to decide which vendor to use. I've seen some David Klass work that I love, and some of Caysie-CVB, too.

I'm going to go crazy waiting for it to arrive tomorrow!

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
these stones are stunning. absolutely love the color!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
I sure appreciate all the comments and suggestions! This is my first, and no way my last, colored stone, so I'm learning what works. I am excited about the potential for statement pieces with color!

I think my hubby is concerned it will overshadow my diamond though, :)
I'll post pics later!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!! Thanks for sharing.
I love the inspiration pieces Sparkliesluver posted, especially the design of the YG ring.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
I am not as great in suggesting setting ideas, but will give my opinion on suggestions once you narrow it down. I love your stone and can't wait to see how this ends up.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
It's hear and it's lovely! A richer deeper color of pink, leaning toward purple, and sparkly in all colors of deep pink. I am happy that it's not too bright. I'm at work...so I can't really take pics right now, but will definitely when I have a moment.

I'm thinking something with rich and fluid movement, engraving maybe?

Maybe a halo of pale pink stones?...or sidestones? I need to poke around for more picture inspirations!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see what you come up with for this beauty.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely gem both in cut and color. Sooooo anticipating your photos. :)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Really pretty gem!! What about doing double claw prongs and doing an interesting side something like this Robinson Designer Goldsmith ring? I remember they also did a Kunzite on this order, too- but I couldn't find the photos.

_383.jpeg

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That's gorgeous! I will post pics later today.
I think I'll be checking with David Klass to see what his workload is and if he's available to work with me on this. I have a ring that could use some repurposing that might be a candidate for dismantling for this project!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1443009574|3930797 said:
Really pretty gem!! What about doing double claw prongs and doing an interesting side something like this Robinson Designer Goldsmith ring? I remember they also did a Kunzite on this order, too- but I couldn't find the photos.

pinkjewel, the side detail on that is gorgeous. I've just pinned that to my pinterest ideas board. :love:

baroque that pink tourmaline is a delicious color. :lickout:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1443009574|3930797 said:
found the photo of the other RDG ring with a Kunzite. Pink sapphire flowers

196795_10150150980877175_3492708_n.jpg

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
The flowery sides of the RDG rings are gorgeous! Great suggestions pinkjewel. I hope the OP or another PSer will use it for their setting. I want to see more of it.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous gem, baroque! :love:

Sparklies- where did you find that yg ring, if I may ask? Love!

S

SparkliesLuver

apacherose, I found it on a bridal blog, so unfortunately there weren't any other photos or angles. I'm sorry.

The picture pinkjewel posted reminds me of this:

unique-wedding-rings-for-couples.jpg

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1443193595|3931690 said:
apacherose, I found it on a bridal blog, so unfortunately there weren't any other photos or angles. I'm sorry.
Thanks for posting all the same!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Re: Pink Tourmaline is finished!-Can you suggest a setting?

Finally getting around to moving forward with this project, I've taken the stone out of the box many times and have been waiting for inspiration for setting. I see so many great ones, it's so difficult to choose, and choose an artist to work with!
Here are some real life pictures to add to the pictures from Jeff White that you can see if you scroll to the start of this thread. I would appreciate any suggestions. Pink was my intent. I love pink.

_36783.jpg

tourmaline_9.jpg

tourmaline_10.jpg

tourmaline_11.jpg

baroque

Shiny_Rock
one more in the box...

tourmaline_12.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cushion shape and gorgeous pink color is my weakness. You have done well. So many different styles of settings to choose from. No matter what the setting your gem will stand out. Congrats on such a beautiful gem!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results