shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink tourmaline asscher lotus

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got it a couple weeks ago. When I opened the box I immediately thought it looked like it was a little off, but figured it was just crooked in the box. When I took it out of the box my eyes went straight to the scrolls on the sides..one is lower than the other. I've been trying to wear it and see if I can live w/it but..I can't. It tilts my eyes so that the shank doesn't look round. The side w/the short prong barely looks like the prong is up on the stone at all, and the scroll is not straight on the shank. It is off the side of the shank just a smidge, which wouldn't be a big deal, but as the scroll comes up, it's pulled out and curved a little, like when you make ringlets w/a curling iron, so top down it makes the stone look crooked. I convoed Sally about it and she said it was just something that happens w/handmade work, and if I wanted to send it back they'd fix it. Which is fine, I would expect them to fix it but..I don't want to pay for shipping back and forth for something that really should've been caught before it was sent. I didn't ask about it when I convoed about the scroll, and she didn't say anything in her return message.

So. I don't know. I've been at a stand still for a while now b/c I'm not sure exactly how I want to proceed. The lotus is a gorgeous setting otherwise. However, I'm starting to wonder if it's too feminine and delicate for me. She did make the shank wider for me..I'm thinking it's 1.5mm instead of 1mm. (or 1.8, I can't remember but I think 1.5). I'd thought about having her rotate the head too if I sent it over, b/c the asscher kite set isn't for me I'm afraid..I keep trying to turn my hand to look at it head on. But, again, I'm torn what to do..I don't want to send it over and have her rotate the head and fix the scroll and then in a couple months decide it's still too delicate.

Anyway, I'll get some pictures going here..

100_3228.jpg

100_3235.jpg

100_3232.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
send it back.
photo all the errors, mark them so no mistake can be made and email her those too.
If you decide to make changes in design beyond the corrections, like rotating the head, then maybe you could offer to pay the return shipping to you if she will cover the return to her

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, generally I think we're a super duper picky bunch on PS but those scrolls are definitely not the same! I would send it back. :nono:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow--scrolls are definitely off.

On the topic of the lotus being a delicate setting--it is, but that's part of its charm.

T

talamasca

:love: I love the ring, it's very pretty but would def return it for altering as I wouldn't be able to live with the uneven scrolls and I would ask if they'd pay for shipping since it should have been picked up before it left since it's so obvious.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't always find the errors that people post about, but yep, those scrolls are so different! The one of the left side looks smooshed and it is definitely lower than the one on the right. I'd send it back. I'm surprised it was sent to you that way, actually.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Packrat: Normally I don't comment negatively (has anyone here noticed that ....? :oops: )
but if that were MY ring, it would bother ME.

I have a ring where the prongs don't quite line up and it bothers me.
I just got a ring with a small issue and it bothers me....
I realize when things are handmade that is part of their "charm"
but sometimes I think "if I saw this in a jewelry store, and tried it on, would I buy it,
or would I pass in favor of something else?"
There is part of me that says, "Well, you are paying for something that is not
mass-produced on a machine"....

Still.

In the case of your ring, it's noticeable even without close-ups.
I think you will be happier wearing your beautiful stone if you have it
reset (not kite, since you don't like that particularly) and with different scrolls.

If you don't care for the lotus type setting, that is a different thing.
I love mine, but I don't know what my "style" is !!!! (my sister and I have this debate all the time ! :lol: :lol: :lol: )
I think I am going to try different styles until I find out !!!!
Expensive "fun"

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Lotus settings, although I don't own one (yet!), but the scrolls would definitely bother me. I tend to be pretty tolerant of the variations that go along with hand-fabricated jewelry, but the differences in the scrolls make the whole profile seem "off." Have you decided what to do, yet?

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I too, would have issues with it. I think there has to be some perfection/symmetry in jewelry settings or else the balance of the piece is off. The human eye can tell. I like handmade as much as anyone else, but I also hold their work to a certain standard. Considering the amount of money you spend you have to be happy, so if it bothers you, return it.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
That would disturb me as well and in my opinion is too big a difference to be only a part of variations in a handmade item. I hear you on the lotus setting, I have two of them, ordered at the same time. Although I like them, they aren't my favorite settings and get less wear. While they are beautiful, in my experience and to my preferences they sit a bit too high when worn. You know yourself best, so I would recommend you ask for a (re-)design you know will get a lot of wear, now being an experience wiser. Of course that may cost you extra, so that is something to consider. I just recently had a long process of alterations with my spess ring, which now is perfect for me (except for a loose prong which I have to fix). It is good to insist on a good fit, because you're the one who will wear the ring, after all :wavey:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, I love the asscher, it is beautiful (and one is on my wish list)!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies and understanding everyone! Yeah, if it were something little I wouldn't bother with it. This is just too much of a difference. I definitely don't want it kite set, but I'm waffling on redoing the setting completely or just turning the head. I don't know why it has to be such a blinking hard decision. It shouldn't be. I don't know if I'm beating myself up over making a last minute decision to change the setting plan (my original plan was a split shank similar to Freke's Big Blue, like the Sholdt asscher semi bezel but more split shank) to the lotus b/c of finances and wanting to finally have it set or what...cuz that kinda backfired on me.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankly, after all I've heard about Sally, I'm surprised that it wouldn't bother her too - she probably has no idea of the magnitude of the difference, and I would be surprised if she wouldn't honor the request for shipping as well once she sees the ring.

Good luck Packie, you deserve exactly what you want

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results