shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink stone question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Hello All!

Well, I have quickly jumped into the beginning of a colored gemstone obsession, by ordering an amazing (I hope!!) amethyst over the weekend. I expect to get it by the end of this week and will certainly post some pics! I''m going to take it to a favorite jewelry store to see how it looks with different settings. Fun!!!

Anyway, I''m already thinking about my next project and I have a question. I would love to do a ring with a light pink stone, kind of pink diamond-looking, to set in a rose gold, probably diamond halo setting. So what would be a good type of stone to search for that is a transcluent light pink, like a pink diamond? I would want something on the lower end of the $ scale.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas, opinions!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on beginning your gemstone obession. It''s a fun one to have.
36.gif
I would suggest a pink spinel. They are lovely and lively. You might contact Dan Stair at Customgemstones.com to see if he has any rough to cut for you. He does an amazing job.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline is a good stone that is inexpensive in light pink shades. It doesn't have the refractive properties of a diamond, but if you want something with a bit more sparkle, then perhaps a pink sapphire. However, nice ones are not that inexpensive. However, a nicely cut tourmaline has a great appeal. I would just avoid badly cut ones since they have a low refractive index.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Take a look at morganite, as well. It is pink beryl, essentially the pink version of aquamarine, which is bluish-green beryl. The beryls have their own unique sparkle which I find quite appealing. I liked it so much I got a yellow beryl pear in a pendant, and wear it quite often. Here is a top of the line example of morganite from Richard Homer.

5967Morganite.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want "sparkle," I''d look at sapphire, spinel, tourmaline and morganite in that order. Do note that morganites are often peachy pink rather than pure pink.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
This is one of Dan''s stone (which was sold to someone but I''ve been dooling over). It''s a toumaline, purplish/deep pink rose. I love this color!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

xxpinktourm.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Go for either a spinel or a garnet (malaya or, maybe, rhodolite). Other stones either don''t have a high R.I., or have birefringence, so they''re not as sparkly or "diamond-looking". But, of course, only pink diamonds look like pink diamonds in terms of scintillation, luster etc.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Pale pink kunzite is very sparkly - but it''s not a ring stone as it''s soft and has perfect cleavage.

Morganite is another that is probably the right kind of colour - or else a pale pink sapphire.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I''ll be doing some fun research today looking for these!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dan Stair has a lovely pink spinel on his website as his most recent stone. It''s gorgeous. Here is the link.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results