shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Fluorescence Mean Anything?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

panda1

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,

I was curious if there have been any studies/correlations with the color of fluorescence with any geological events that may have taken place during the course of the formation of a diamond to cause it to be so? For example my diamond''s fluorescence is pink. Does that mean anything? Anyone else with interesting colored fluorescence?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
wow, can you post a picture?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 4:32:07 AM
Author:panda1
Hey Guys,

I was curious if there have been any studies/correlations with the color of fluorescence with any geological events that may have taken place during the course of the formation a diamond to cause it to be so? For example my diamond''s fluorescence is pink. Does that mean anything? Anyone else with interesting colored fluorescence?
Sounds beautiful! I''ve never heard of this before!

gail013

Shiny_Rock
That is really neat. Did you know it had pink fluor. before you bought it?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 4:32:07 AM
Author:panda1
Hey Guys,

I was curious if there have been any studies/correlations with the color of fluorescence with any geological events that may have taken place during the course of the formation of a diamond to cause it to be so? For example my diamond's fluorescence is pink. Does that mean anything? Anyone else with interesting colored fluorescence?
Hi panda1, lucky you! I don't know anything about mineralogical part of you question, but can explain why fluorescence can be of different colors.

Absorption of a photon (usually UV range from sunlight in the case of diamonds in e-rings) triggers the emission of another photon with a longer wavelength. The emitted light is in the visible range (blue, yellow, pink), particular color depends on the absorbency curve and Stokes shift of the particular diamond.

If anyone is interested i will draw a picture explaining what's going on energy levels because i did not find anything simple enough on the Net.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2007 7:18:35 AM
Author: panda1
Here''s a quick pic. Enjoy.
Very cool!!! I think it would get categorized as "orange" Fluo.
But still considered pretty rare...

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Great photo Panda.

It brings to mind the Hope diamond''s red phosphorescent quality. It glows a strong red color which lasts for several seconds after exposure to short wave UV. It''s a type IIb diamond, containing boron, and they''re semiconductive and usually phosphoresce. If anyone has a better photo of the Hope in its red state I''d enjoy having it to share.

Hope_Phosphor.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the orange fluo. has similarity to the red fluo.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
How unique. That is so cool. Love the pink.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
so is it a contaminant such as boron which causes fluorescence? blue fluorescence?

if you excite potassium it emits pink. calcium, a pinky orange. sodium bright orange.is this so with diamonds?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2007 12:37:06 PM
Author: ladykemma
so is it a contaminant such as boron which causes fluorescence? blue fluorescence?

if you excite potassium it emits pink. calcium, a pinky orange. sodium bright orange.is this so with diamonds?
No, Boron in Diamonds causes the Bluish color hue...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
so what causes the pinky orange? calcium?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen faint orange-pink fluorescence more than once...more in yellow diamonds but occasionally in colorless. I saw one otherwise nice colorless stone, GIA graded fluorescence none, where this had a visibly detrimental effect on the face up color in daylight. On the other hand, your stone's color looks pretty neat. I've seen it enough that I think it's odd that it's not mentioned more in literature.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Some of my irradiated yellow side stones show strong green fluorescence. It only takes a bit of sunlight to get the effect. Not necessarily pretty, but cool in a way. Something I will watch for in future custom work!

Here near a window looking yellow.

Yellows0106.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
And here in direct sunlight looking rather green.

Greens0108.JPG

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 12:37:06 PM
Author: ladykemma

Too much is still in a research stage by now lk, but i would say if we are to talk about color-centers - mostly Nitrogen and it''s different states (for example N-vacation)in diamond lattice are responsible for fluorescence in diamonds, don''t hold me to this, it''s just a gut feeling.

Here is one very good overview in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystallographic_defects_in_diamond, showing mostly how much is NOT known at this time.

As for different colors of emitted light - energy (color of light) of a photon emitted depends on sub-structural energy levels (ground - to - excited and how much energy was lost in vibration state there). It is lower than what induced excitement (for example UV), but how much lower - that''s the different colors. Sorry, i''d better make up a picture.

panda1

Rough_Rock
To be honest when I purchased this diamond the cert stated there was a slight blue fluorescence, and to my surprise when I placed it under a black light it turned out to be orange/pink. Anyways here's a picture of the diamond under indoor lighting conditions:

panda1diamondmini.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW really neat. Thanks for the photos. Now when will the online vendors set up their search tools so we can search FOR Fluor? I know I want it and many others do too.

A bonus would be getting something with green or pink fluor.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/18/2007 3:22:37 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
WOW really neat. Thanks for the photos. Now when will the online vendors set up their search tools so we can search FOR Fluor? I know I want it and many others do too.

Brilliant!!!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2007 3:25:52 PM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 2/18/2007 3:22:37 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Brilliant!!!
Blue Nile does this on their website. I think you have to add Floro as an additiona/advancedl search option and it shows up as another slider

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
What beautiful photos you have of your stone, thank you so much for sharing them. You have such a unique treasure there, it looks gorgeous in day light as welll.

panda1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone’s compliments about the stone. My girlfriend is quite taken by it as well. I complete agree with Stone Hunter about fluorescence. Out of curiosity why is it that the GIA doesn't state the color of the fluorescence when in fact they test for it and will most likely experience it first hand anyways? I know that their grading scale from none to very strong is fine and dandy, but seriously why avoid such a noticeable attribute? Since only 35% of gem quality diamonds or so express it as noticeable fluorescence with 97% of those diamonds exhibiting a blue fluorescence and the remaining 3% exhibiting colors of violet, green, yellow, orange, and red (http://www.dsourceva.com/diamonds-fluorescence.htm)… it may be helpful for buyers to identify their own diamond if a question arises as to the possibility of a stone being swapped by unscrupulous individuals… I would imagine that removing fluorescence would be harder than removing say a laser inscribed GIA cert number...Just my two cents…
20.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluor is part of the diamond and can't be removed. So you are correct it is an easy way to ID your diamond. All you need is a Fluor Black Light.

I thought GIA certs where supposed to state the color of Fluor if different than Blue.

ETA: How about some other stats on that lovely diamond you have and more photos?

panda1

Rough_Rock
Stats-
Shape: Oval Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 7.71x5.48x3.06mm
Carat Weight: 1.03
Color: Fancy Light Green/Light Green
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Total Depth: 55.8%
Table Size: 60%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Extremely Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Faint

Here''s a picture of the diamond under indoor lighting with a splash of light from a Mag-Lite:

greendiamondmini.jpg

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
That is really a beautiful stone, panda! How are you going to set it?

panda1

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend likes the half moon setting. So I thought I would try to find fancy light pink half moon side stones. It would be great if the pink side stones'' fluorescence was green...That would make an interesting switch from green center and pink sides to pink center and green sides under backlight...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah A colored stone with a different colored Fluro. How interesting. Where did you find such a stone?Hope you have someone to source your side stones for you.

panda1

Rough_Rock
Yea, the side stones are going to be rather tough to find considering the half moon shape and matching color at that…hopefully Josh from Amgad can find a pair for me or have them made. We’ll see what happens. I got this green stone from the jewelry district in Downtown LA.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results