shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Fluorescence Mean Anything?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2007 10:07:21 AM
Author: Pricescope

If anyone is interested i will draw a picture explaining what''s going on energy levels because i did not find anything simple enough on the Net.

Yes, please.

Wink

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 2:33:18 AM
Author: panda1
My girlfriend likes the half moon setting. So I thought I would try to find fancy light pink half moon side stones. It would be great if the pink side stones'' fluorescence was green...That would make an interesting switch from green center and pink sides to pink center and green sides under backlight...
That does sound incredibly neat! I''ll be waiting to hear how your search goes.
3.gif

I always figured that the green fluorescence of my side stones was because they probably started life as some yucky brown color with green fluorescence and were irradiated to become the more attractive yellow color. The green fluorescence just tagged along and gives away their humble origins. I never saw it as something desirable before. I recall that one of my other side stones has white fluorescence, but I need a black (UV) light to make that out. Combined with the medium blue fluor of the center stone, my ring does a complete personality change under UV.

Good luck finding those side stones. And I think your light green diamond is really beautiful.
18.gif

I love colored diamonds.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Panda1,

Great looking stone, I love the delicate green color. Does your stone have a GIA report? I too have a similar colored diamond, but my stone came with an EGL USA report (which stated it was natural for color, etc.). Out of curiosity, I had taken the stone to get appraised and the appraiser had a suspicion the stone was enhanced or irradiated. So, out of curiosity, I had the stone sent to GIA, and it came back undetermined. I was curious if GIA and EGL use the same equipment and how EGL USA came to find the stone is natural while GIA could not definitively say the color was natural.

Just curious - but congrats on getting such a pretty center stone. I look forward to seeing the finished ring :)

kroshka

panda1

Rough_Rock

Hey Kroshka,

I also had an EGL cert…(I think from Israel Maybe?), but the cert didn’t test the origin so I sent it off to GIA…1 whole month later…I got the same response as you did. I was disheartened to say the least. Then again my diamond’s clarity was graded cleaner (from VS1 to VVS2)…also the EGL cert stated that there was a slight blue fluorescence…and as you can see on the picture at the start of the thread it is a pinkish/orange. On the flip side the GIA cert didn’t clue me into the color of the fluorescence as well (it just stated that the fluorescence was faint). I was rather annoyed that there wasn’t a definitive answer in regards to the origin

29.gif
…a GIA representative suggest that I resubmit my stone back in 2 years when the technology advances
7.gif
…I tried reading up on people’s experiences in submitting their green diamonds for origin testing and it seems it’s a real crapshoot in getting that coveted “natural” grading. I believe there was even a poster here on price scope that submitted an irradiated green stone and got back a “natural” grading regardless of that fact and had to fight to have it overturned. Anyone in this forum know what’s involved in the testing of green diamonds in particular? I guess my initial intention in starting this thread was to get some correlation between the color of fluoresce and the color of the diamond in the hopes of authenticating its origin or at least settling it in my mind. I’ve even considered sending it off to the Gublin Lab in Switzerland, but my girlfriend doesn’t want to part with the diamond. Anyone with similar experiences as Kroshka and I?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2007 3:44:48 PM

Hey Kroshka,

I also had an EGL cert…(I think from Israel Maybe?), but the cert didn’t test the origin so I sent it off to GIA…1 whole month later…I got the same response as you did. I was disheartened to say the least. Then again my diamond’s clarity was graded cleaner (from VS1 to VVS2)…also the EGL cert stated that there was a slight blue fluorescence…and as you can see on the picture at the start of the thread it is a pinkish/orange. On the flip side the GIA cert didn’t clue me into the color of the fluorescence as well (it just stated that the fluorescence was faint). I was rather annoyed that there wasn’t a definitive answer in regards to the origin

29.gif
…a GIA representative suggest that I resubmit my stone back in 2 years when the technology advances
7.gif
…I tried reading up on people’s experiences in submitting their green diamonds for origin testing and it seems it’s a real crapshoot in getting that coveted “natural” grading. I believe there was even a poster here on price scope that submitted an irradiated green stone and got back a “natural” grading regardless of that fact and had to fight to have it overturned. Anyone in this forum know what’s involved in the testing of green diamonds in particular? I guess my initial intention in starting this thread was to get some correlation between the color of fluoresce and the color of the diamond in the hopes of authenticating its origin or at least settling it in my mind. I’ve even considered sending it off to the Gublin Lab in Switzerland, but my girlfriend doesn’t want to part with the diamond. Anyone with similar experiences as Kroshka and I?

Tip: If you send it to Gubelin, you might be surprised at the results.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock

Why is this DiaGem? Would we expect to get yet a 3rd different answer?

Since Panda is the only other person I have come across with the same result as me, this has me wondering about how reliable EGL USA is in regards to fancy colored diamonds. I know GIA is considered the more reputable lab, but I would have thought that in regards to testing for origin of color, that EGL USA may have been somewhat reliable. But it now begs the question of whether or not that is the case? Or is it only that green diamonds are harder to test for origin and other colors should not be of concern?

I personally feel better having a GIA report for any fancy color diamond, but I know there are yellows and some pinks out there that have EGL reports. Because of this particular experience I have stayed away from any stones w/ EGL reports.

kroshka

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2007 5:28:05 PM
Author: kroshka

Why is this DiaGem? Would we expect to get yet a 3rd different answer?

Since Panda is the only other person I have come across with the same result as me, this has me wondering about how reliable EGL USA is in regards to fancy colored diamonds. I know GIA is considered the more reputable lab, but I would have thought that in regards to testing for origin of color, that EGL USA may have been somewhat reliable. But it now begs the question of whether or not that is the case? Or is it only that green diamonds are harder to test for origin and other colors should not be of concern?

I personally feel better having a GIA report for any fancy color diamond, but I know there are yellows and some pinks out there that have EGL reports. Because of this particular experience I have stayed away from any stones w/ EGL reports.

kroshka
I am not familiar with EGL graded fancy colored Diamonds... (so i would rather not comment on that...)
But once you have gotten the undetermined grade from GIA..., it seems that the EGL report is not valid anymore in your eyes!!!
Please understand..., GIA could not have come up with a conclusion if it is a natural color or not... (BTW when was the GIA report issued?)

One think I can guarantee you..., if Gubelin issues a report that your Diamond is Natural Green then it is like $$$ in the bank!!!
Not only there is a posibility that Gubelin will categorize your Diamond natural color..., but it can also identify what type of material it is made of (for example "Type IIa" etc, etc...)

Looking in the light of value...., A green Diamond with a undetermined color grade is not nearly as valuable as a natural one!!! But if you do get the "magic" word in the Gubelin report, then you are talking a whole different league!!!

I think it is worth the chance...
Good luck,

panda1

Rough_Rock

Actually, I have been really interested in sending my stone to Gubelin for the shear fact that I would love to know more about my stone in terms of its type as well. With that being said…what is the best way to get my stone over to Gubelin for testing? Anyone in this forum have any experience in sending their stones over to Gubelin before or currently doing business with them? I have never dealt with shipping such a valuable (emotionally & $$$) item overseas before and Gubelin''s site concerning this is a bit confusing...what''s this shuttle thing about...and a broker? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

35.gif

In regards to the GIA cert date...it was issued 2/7/2007

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/21/2007 1:20:07 AM

Actually, I have been really interested in sending my stone to Gubelin for the shear fact that I would love to know more about my stone in terms of its type as well. With that being said…what is the best way to get my stone over to Gubelin for testing? Anyone in this forum have any experience in sending their stones over to Gubelin before or currently doing business with them? I have never dealt with shipping such a valuable (emotionally & $$$) item overseas before and Gubelin''s site concerning this is a bit confusing...what''s this shuttle thing about...and a broker? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

35.gif

In regards to the GIA cert date...it was issued 2/7/2007
I think it would be a smart idea to grade the Diamond with Gubelin..., especially since it has that rare orangy fluorescence!!!!

If you are in the states..., you can send it via Brinks NY (they are familiar with this service!!!)

panda1

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I''m in LA...anything over on this side?
33.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/21/2007 3:25:08 AM
Unfortunately I''m in LA...anything over on this side?
33.gif
I think Brinks has a Jewelry Location at 550 S. Hill St. in downtown LA..., They would know the procedure....

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I was looking for Karl Nassau's 1983 article on line to use for the picture of energy levels for Wink as it's the most referenced one, still nothing, but i found this one:

http://www.gamineral.org/fluorescence.html - i think it's a must read for non-pros who are interested in fluorescence, it even explained in very simple terms it's difference from phosphorescence, even defines photochroism.

if you have any questions after i will try to answer
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 10:15:39 AM
I was looking for Karl Nassau''s 1983 article on line to use for the picture of energy levels for Wink as it''s the most referenced one, still nothing, but i found this one:

http://www.gamineral.org/fluorescence.html - i think it''s a must read for non-pros who are interested in fluorescence, it''s even explained in very simple terms it''s difference from phosphorescence, even defines photochroism.

35.gif
kewl article!
Thanks for posting it

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was looking for Karl Nassau''s 1983 article on line to use for the picture of energy levels for Wink as it''s the most referenced one, still nothing, but i found this one:

http://www.gamineral.org/fluorescence.html - i think it''s a must read for non-pros who are interested in fluorescence, it''s even explained in very simple terms it''s difference from phosphorescence, even defines photochroism.

35.gif
Here is a picture showing some energy levels (the Jablonski energy diagram).

http://www.olympusfluoview.com/theory/fluoroexciteemit.html

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

35.gif
What a delightful article, thank you. It refreshed knowledge in my mind long since rusted over and made it useable again.

Wink

panda1

Rough_Rock
Wow…Brinks is asking for roughly $500 not including customs charges for the transportation 1 way…Is there a more cost effective route to Gubelin?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results