shape
carat
color
clarity

Pigeon blood ruby from Vietnam

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
@landscape , I am being told my understanding of ruby pricing is corrupt (I exaggerate, but maybe not so much). Can you share the ballpark price you paid for this ruby, please?

landscape

Shiny_Rock
The purple haze gives it a magical feeling, rather like the opalescent sapphires that have been all the range lately. I can see that it must sparkle beautifully. But of course, compared to that neon red specimen next to it, it loses in terms of vividness.

Very pertinent comment, thanks

landscape

Shiny_Rock
It's so useful to see it next to the red! I wouldn't have seen the purple haze quite as clearly otherwise.
Do Vietnamese rubies fluoresce? Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about rubies but love red!

very very strong fluoresce

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Newly arrived a 2.03ct Vietnamese ruby, AIGS VV red unheated pigeon blood ruby. It's a pity that it has a slight purple haze
DSC_8265.jpg DSC_8266.jpg DSC_8268.jpg DSC_8279.jpg DSC_8271.jpg DSC_8280.jpg DSC_8281.jpg

The bright red ruby is gorgeous, & I can understand why she's loved but I personally prefer the newest one with the purple haze. Like another member commented, it adds a quality all it's own to the stone. Like a birthmark of some kind and appears magical to me!

landscape

Shiny_Rock
@landscape , I am being told my understanding of ruby pricing is corrupt (I exaggerate, but maybe not so much). Can you share the ballpark price you paid for this ruby, please?

Both purchase prices are around 10K usd/ct. Although they are both AIGS graded vv red unheated pigeon blood rubies, there are some differences in their actual color grades. The smaller one has a higher color level. But the smaller one is less than 2ct, and the larger one has a lower color grade than the smaller one, but it exceeds 2ct. So their unit price per carat is almost the same

landscape

Shiny_Rock
The bright red ruby is gorgeous, & I can understand why she's loved but I personally prefer the newest one with the purple haze. Like another member commented, it adds a quality all it's own to the stone. Like a birthmark of some kind and appears magical to me!

Purple haze of Vietnamese Ruby is somewhat similar to the highlighter effect of chrysoberyl, and some people really like it. But at present, the price of ruby with purple haze will be lower than that without purple haze. If there are more people who like purple haze, it may change in the future. DSC_9402.jpg

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Both purchase prices are around 10K usd/ct. Although they are both AIGS graded vv red unheated pigeon blood rubies, there are some differences in their actual color grades. The smaller one has a higher color level. But the smaller one is less than 2ct, and the larger one has a lower color grade than the smaller one, but it exceeds 2ct. So their unit price per carat is almost the same

Thank you for the details, I would have guessed something in those waters. Not outlandish but also not cheap. If Burma, would have been x2 or x3 for similar quality. Great purchase, they look great!

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the details, I would have guessed something in those waters. Not outlandish but also not cheap. If Burma, would have been x2 or x3 for similar quality. Great purchase, they look great!

I have a purchase channel to purchase directly in Vietnam, and the price may be more lower than other dealers. in fact, the price difference between Vietnamese rubies and Burmese rubies of the same quality is no longer X2. There should only be about 20% of the price.
It is very common for gemstones to increase a lot of prices in the seller's link. After all, the share of funds is very high.

Last edited:

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
The purple haze gives it a magical feeling, rather like the opalescent sapphires that have been all the range lately. I can see that it must sparkle beautifully. But of course, compared to that neon red specimen next to it, it loses in terms of vividness.

The Hendrix Ruby?

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Such a beautiful stone!! I have two ruby rings and they are one of my favorite gems!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I have a purchase channel to purchase directly in Vietnam, and the price may be more lower than other dealers. in fact, the price difference between Vietnamese rubies and Burmese rubies of the same quality is no longer X2. There should only be about 20% of the price.
It is very common for gemstones to increase a lot of prices in the seller's link. After all, the share of funds is very high.

Fully agree

And if OP resides in an Asian country or buys on the Asian market, the pricing can be much different (lower) than what you or I might pay in the US or Europe.

ETA: I just noticed OP responded that he buys via Vietnamese channels.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really stunning examples of rubies, one of the best colour examples I've seen in year so thanks for sharing it with us!

landscape

Shiny_Rock
And if OP resides in an Asian country or buys on the Asian market, the pricing can be much different (lower) than what you or I might pay in the US or Europe.

ETA: I just noticed OP responded that he buys via Vietnamese channels.

Since VividRed is asking about my purchase price, I'm giving my purchase price. Because I have channels to buy directly from Vietnam, and there are not many dealers in the middle, the price is relatively close to the source price, which may be different from the market price. US or Europe prices will be higher than Asia.
It is normal for gemstones to increase the price in the middle. The gemstones from wholesalers are fast in and out, and the price increase is not much, but the classification of gems is not accurate. In order to buy a gem you need, you may have to buy a bunch of gems you don’t need.
Retailers usually need to stock up on gems and sell them slowly, which requires a large backlog of money for a long time, so retailers usually mark up more. But buying from retailers you don't have to spend money on what you don't need.
Therefore, it is a common phenomenon that the source price and the terminal market price are several times different. Otherwise, how can so many gem merchants survive?

Since VividRed is asking about my purchase price, I'm giving my purchase price. Because I have channels to buy directly from Vietnam, and there are not many dealers in the middle, the price is relatively close to the source price, which may be different from the market price. US or Europe prices will be higher than Asia.
It is normal for gemstones to increase the price in the middle. The gemstones from wholesalers are fast in and out, and the price increase is not much, but the classification of gems is not accurate. In order to buy a gem you need, you may have to buy a bunch of gems you don’t need.
Retailers usually need to stock up on gems and sell them slowly, which requires a large backlog of money for a long time, so retailers usually mark up more. But buying from retailers you don't have to spend money on what you don't need.
Therefore, it is a common phenomenon that the source price and the terminal market price are several times different. Otherwise, how can so many gem merchants survive?

This is very interesting... thank you for sharing. You have a great eye!!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
In order to buy a gem you need, you may have to buy a bunch of gems you don’t need.

Boy isn't that the utter truth... Please send the gems you don't need to me and I'll take great care of them. :pray:

You have an astounding collection of all gems with an apparently limitless budget. Is your research for satisfying self-knowledge and curiosity & investment or for a professional endeavor?
I have cash that's been sitting idle since the 2008 crash that's devalued with the inflation and wonder if I should've bought more gems... but then that's also speculating. I should've probably bought more gold!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for sharing. I love these so much, and your posts are really helpful. :) Keep posting please!

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
Stunning, both stones!

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Boy isn't that the utter truth... Please send the gems you don't need to me and I'll take great care of them. :pray:

You have an astounding collection of all gems with an apparently limitless budget. Is your research for satisfying self-knowledge and curiosity & investment or for a professional endeavor?
I have cash that's been sitting idle since the 2008 crash that's devalued with the inflation and wonder if I should've bought more gems... but then that's also speculating. I should've probably bought more gold!
I have been collecting gems for 10 years ,research for satisfying self-knowledge, the increase in gem value is just an added effect

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I have been collecting gems for 10 years ,research for satisfying self-knowledge, the increase in gem value is just an added effect

I myself hoard unset gems simply because I must have them to own them and to satisfy my curiosity. I just bought another huge opal I don’t need just because it’s rare and bigger than what I already have!
I try not to frequent this forum because I get triggered more often than otherwise, but I try restraining myself from going after world class gems at $$$$$ if you know what I mean, and I have no illusion they’re investments because they’ll never be sold in my lifetime.
You’re an interesting one and I certainly enjoy your educational posts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results