shape
carat
color
clarity

pictures of the ring before it goes back

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

s95

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
I got my ring today and love it, except that it was mistakenly made into a 4-prong setting instead of a six prong like I had seen on the website and also had requested, so I''ll need to send it back to be redone which is really stressing me out, but since it''s the weekend, there''s not too much I can do about it anyways.

It is a beautiful diamond, though and really has a lot of sparkle to it. Thought you might like to see it with my old ring in comparison.

Specs are 1.245 ct, h, vs2.

122_2263.JPG

s95

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another one outside with the new ring alone.

122_2267.JPG

s95

Shiny_Rock
The original ring was a 0.74 ct e vs1 by the way. Regarding the prongs, I may be mistaken, but it seems like the diamond is much more protected, it looks rounder, and also is safer if you have six. Do you guys agree? I hate to have to send it anywhere, because I want to wear it, but I''ll be wearing it for a long time and I think it would really bug me that it wasn''t done to my specifications.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow it looks great, what a difference between the two rings! not just stone size which of course is always fun, but that new stone definitely has better symmetry to it and many more sparkles....what a difference some knowledge makes when purchasing!!!
2.gif

love it and i actually like the 4 prongs but that's just my typical preference anyway!! re your comment about protection, yes some feel it's safer to have 6 prongs but if you just get your prongs checked every 6 months, then you won't have to worry as much about something breaking if you know it's in good condition. i have 4 prongs and used to think maybe 6 on a big stone like 2-3c but now i am not even so sure about that, 4 prongs is just my visual preference and i prefer seeing as little prongage as possible to take away from the stone!

please show us more!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous new ring s95! Are you sure that you want to send it back? I think it looks fabulous and HUGE in the four prong setting. What are you going to do with your old ring which is also quite pretty?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree it looks fabulous with the four prongs!!!!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks fabulous just the way it is!! In my opinion, 6 prongs "crowds" the diamond too much, if that makes any sense! I think 4 shows it off much more. But you wear it, so if you really want 6, go for it! How long will it take before you can wear it again?

s95

Shiny_Rock
I''ll think about the 4-prong, thing, but also, the embedded diamonds on the side are an issue. The ring had to be custommade due to my ring size and the holes surrounding the diamonds are not perfectly round (i.e. some of them look almost oval in shape) and also the diamonds are not evenly spaced between the side of the band and with each other (i.e. they are crooked and sort of meandering). Is this normal? I mean, I haven''t bought a ring in 10 years and the one I had didn''t have that much chance for error. I''m not sure if I''m being too picky or if there was some craftsmanship problem with the ring.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh pretty! I like 4 prongs because it shows off more of the stone, however, I''m sure it''ll look nice either way. Post more pics when you get your ring reset! I like seeing it in comparison with your older ring, so much larger!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with Irish eyes.. it look wonderful the way it is. I like the 4 prong better because it does not crowd the diamond. I check my prong all the time to make sure that mothing is loose. But.. if you like the 6 prong and will feel more comfortable then you should definitely get it changed..

But I think it look aweome the way it is!!

Congratulations!!!
30.gif
30.gif

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
I like the 6 prong because it gives a more rounder look to the stone. After all, that''s why you chose a round diamond.
2.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
oh, I think your new ring is really beautiful and cool looking. I definitely agree with folks in saying that the 4 prong is great. It is definitely a matter of personal preference, and it is my preference for sure.

As far as the diamonds wandering, I think you would have to talk that over with the manufacturer. When I first say the ring you chose, it did seem that the diamonds would be spaced out evenly, but I have seen other designs where they are more scattered. Keep us posted on what happens!

s95

Shiny_Rock
Ack! Also, look closely, to me, the prongs are crooked! The one on the bottom right is too far up. Do you see it and does it matter?

122_2271.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2005 4:18:55 PM
Author: s95
I''ll think about the 4-prong, thing, but also, the embedded diamonds on the side are an issue. The ring had to be custommade due to my ring size and the holes surrounding the diamonds are not perfectly round (i.e. some of them look almost oval in shape) and also the diamonds are not evenly spaced between the side of the band and with each other (i.e. they are crooked and sort of meandering). Is this normal? I mean, I haven''t bought a ring in 10 years and the one I had didn''t have that much chance for error. I''m not sure if I''m being too picky or if there was some craftsmanship problem with the ring.
could we see some pics of this?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
WHo made this ring? Ring designer by any chance?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean about the bottom left prong.

s95

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another. Let me know what you think. I know I''m being neurotic, but I''m a big stickler for quality and perfection in big purchases.

122_2272.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
one comment re: prongs and symmetry etc. sometimes i think that my prongs are crooked and/or something looks 'off' with my ring. but then if i turn it around on my finger, the other side looks crooked too. i think sometimes our eyes play tricks on us with what is symmetrical because most of the time even if you are looking straight down at the ring on your hand, one set of prongs is still closer to your eyes etc. i know what you mean re: looking like one of the prongs is higher, turn around the ring and see if now the other side looks crooked. if so, it may just be your eyes!

oh and re: 6 prongs making the diamond look more round, actually i feel like my 4 prongs are SO unobstrusive, which is what I wanted, that my diamond sometimes looks prongless from the top down, so if your prongs are very tiny, then your diamond can still look round with the 4 prongs!

s95

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2005 4:32:15 PM
Author: Mara
one comment re: prongs and symmetry etc. sometimes i think that my prongs are crooked and/or something looks ''off'' with my ring. but then if i turn it around on my finger, the other side looks crooked too. i think sometimes our eyes play tricks on us with what is symmetrical because most of the time even if you are looking straight down at the ring on your hand, one set of prongs is still closer to your eyes etc. i know what you mean re: looking like one of the prongs is higher, turn around the ring and see if now the other side looks crooked. if so, it may just be your eyes!

oh and re: 6 prongs making the diamond look more round, actually i feel like my 4 prongs are SO unobstrusive, which is what I wanted, that my diamond sometimes looks prongless from the top down, so if your prongs are very tiny, then your diamond can still look round with the 4 prongs!
Mara, I did what you asked and the same side looks crooked to me when I turn it around. Is that what you meant for me to do? Were you thinking that then the OTHER side of the ring would look assymetrical, too? The assymetry stayed on the side that I first saw it on. (i.e. the same prong looked crooked and that it had moved to the other side.)

Notwithstanding a neurotic gal''s weird eyesight, the prongs ARE suppposed to be alligned in general, right?

Belle, I can''t get my camera to get close enough up to the embedded diamonds to show you what I mean. I took some pictures, but just can''t get it to show up and also it looks even more distorted because of the angle of the ring and camera.

I purchased the setting and diamond through DCD which most people don''t seem to do. They usually seem to get just the loose diamond. I just don''t know. The more I think about it, the less happy I am.
39.gif

s95

Shiny_Rock
Rita,
Thanks for your reply. The diamonds don''t really have room to scatter since they are almost the width of the band. I have seen the wandering one''s, too, but that was smaller diamonds on a bigger band. This one seems like it is just misplacement which I could live with, I guess, but now looking at the prongs....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have to be 100% happy with your new ring. I would call DCD and talk to them about your concerns. I am a perfectionist too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
your stone looks beautiful. I agree with kaleigh, call dcd and discuss this with them. things like that would drive me nuts even if it's normal. i will not get a certain syle of ring b/c of the little "normal" things that bother me
2.gif
keep us posted on what you find out. i know how hard it is to send it off again
39.gif
i recently received a new setting after being shipped off for a month and am dragging my feet to get the new appraisal b/c i don't want to part with it
38.gif
still, you going to be wearing it for a LONG time, it should be perfect
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Your new ring and stone are beautiful!

But I agree that YOU must be happy with it.

So there are more side stones embedded in the band besides the two that we can see?

Do you have a side shot of your ring? I''d like to see how the 4 prongs look from the side.

I prefer 6 prongs unless it is a basket setting, then I prefer the typical 4.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi s95,

Your ring is so gorgeous! I think it looks great on your finger (and the stone looks HUGE!).

I originally wanted 6 prongs but ended up with a 4 prong setting. Initially I was worried because I am really rough on my ring and frequently bump it into doorways, table, chairs, etc. but the 4 prong has been EXTREMELY sturdy and as Mara said, are unobstrusive. To show off the size and beauty of the stone I think the 4 prong is ideal and durable.

As for the asymmetry I have noticed some asymmetry in my prongs as well depending on the light, angle etc. I used to be crazy about things being "perfect" but nothing in life is completely perfect...so the way I look at it is my ring has some small flaws but is overall beautiful... things (and people) in life are not "flawless" but I love them regardless.

1.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
s95, I love the design of your ring. I do see the prong unevenness you are talking about, that is easily fixable. My eyes prefer 6 prongs, I like the balance. You are absolutely right, for such a big purchase it should be as close to perfect as is feasible. I''m sure that the vendor will do their best to satisfy you. Good luck, don''t forget to post pics when you get the ring back.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DCD is very reputable both for diamonds and settings, I am sure if you tell them what you are unhappy with they can at least inspect it and see what they can do.

regarding perfectionism...I am like that way too in general, but like snow mentioned, I have found when it comes to things like jewelry, alot of times there are small imperfections because it is hand-made or custom or something...and I learned to live with it. My rings are not 'perfect', if you inspected them with a loupe, but in reality I like them the way they are for their good and bad!! Sometimes you can drive yourself nuts with the small things...but I would check into it if it really bothers you and see what can be done. I also figure that I would probably do enough damage to it after I get it 'perfect' just by wearing it well, so in the end it would still look a little off.
9.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2005 3:45:17 PM
Author: s95
Regarding the prongs, I may be mistaken, but it seems like the diamond is much more protected, it looks rounder, and also is safer if you have six. Do you guys agree?
Ah, the ole 4 prong vs 6 prong debate.

I can tell you that I personally had to sit through 3 hours of orchestra rehearsal with a 2.05 ct D-VS2 diamond in my pants pocket because it fell to the floor after some clown slammed my hand in a door, which bent one of the four prongs I had at the time. After that incident, I set my e-ring diamond with 6 prongs and always recommend to my friends to do the same.

Wink told me several stories of women coming into his shop crying because they lost their diamonds out of 4 prong mountings.

Garry Cut Nut also posted a nice picture on the Pricescope Gallery showing why 4 prongs can be less desirable.
There is a "danger zone" at 3 and 9 o'clock where most chipping occurs.
http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/picture9.aspx

I look at it this way. As long as the kid who rides his bike without a helmet (because he wants to look cool) doesn't have an accident, he's fine. But if he had an accident, he's going to wish he was wearing a helmet, especially if he hits his head on the concrete.

Bottom line, its your choice and your risk tolerance assessment.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I think my rings are extremely well made. My jeweler inspected them prior to giving them to me and found that one diamond was not set properly, and she sent them back to the designer to be fixed before I ever even saw them. I appreciated that attention to detail.

My diamond, however has plenty of imperfections, and I obsessed for forever after finding PS whether I was truly bothered by the imperfections. After I a while I decided that I am not that bugged by it enough to change, but every once in a while I still think about it...

In your case, I think I would have the adjustments made. But really it is up to you. If you are really bugged by the imperfections, get them fixed now. Better now than later. If you think you can live with it and be content, that''s good too.

I second the request to see some side shots of your band with the diamonds!!
30.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Aesthetically, 4 prongs are beautiful...but 6 prongs are more secure IMO. It is a personal choice. If YOU feel more comfortable with and asked for 6 prongs, then you should have 6 prongs. I have 6 prongs but my jeweler did an excellenet job and you cannot even see them. Done right, they do not at all detract from the stone.

Here is a link to my ring thread that shows the 6 prongs: 6 trim prongs

Good luck.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results