shape
carat
color
clarity

Pictures of my upgraded ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
Well, I posted pictures of my fiancee's ring a little earlier today, and as I said, when I saw how awesome it looked, it motivated me to upgrade my college class ring. I had learned so much from this forum and after hearing so many positive reviews about the vendors here, I decided to do a little shopping around. I had needed to do some custom work on my ring, anyway, to have it resized so I could start wearing it again, so I decided to take the opportunity to change the stone and the setting, as well. It originally had a 0.5 carat sapphire set in a polaris white gold setting, but the sapphire was always a little too dark for my taste (either due to it's quality or it's cut, not sure), unless it was in very strong light (like the following picture with flash on.). I like the look of sapphires, and it's my birthstone, so I decided to keep some in the new setting. I wounded up purchasing an ideal cut H&A from DI and had it set in white gold, with eight 1.5mm sapphires from chatham around it. The specs on the diamond are as follows:

Carat: 0.614
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Cert: AGS
Dimensions: 5.47x5.44x3.39
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 54%
Pavilion angle: 40.8 degrees
Crown angle: 34.9 degrees
Pavilion depth: 42.9%
Crown height: 16.0%
Girdle: 1.0% to 1.7%
Culet: pointed
Polish: ID
Symmetry: ID
Flour: none
Comments: Pinpoints are not shown
HCA: 1.6 TIC EX/EX/EX/VG

The following are a couple of pictures of the diamond itself, and then a before picture of the ring, followed by a few pictures after it was redone.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
pic under high magnification

Web 232716M.jpg

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
idealscope pic

Web 232716IS.jpg

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
arrows pic

Web 232716A.jpg

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
hearts pic

Web 232716H.jpg

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
Before custom work

before.JPG

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
After custom work

after 1.JPG

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
another after pic

after 2.JPG

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Magnum, that is one sharp looking ring. Thanks for sharing that.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Kamuelamom. I appreciate it.
1.gif

Here's one more after picture

after 4a.JPG

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Nice work. What a great project. Your ring looks amazing. Sharp stone.
(my daughter has her sights set on the Naval Academy.)
Handsome ring!
Nan

GlitterGal

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dave,

As always, thank you for your service to our country – it is greatly appreciated.
1.gif

Thank you also for your post, the pics and your kind words. What a fantastic ring! I am so impressed with how awesome your idea for the setting turned out on your class ring. The diamond is magnificent and breathtaking, surrounded by those eye-catching sapphires.
4.gif
I’m so happy that you were able to locate the additional stones and that your jeweler did such an amazing job for you, translating your setting’s blueprint to a ‘T’!
appl.gif
I'm also happy that I could be of service to you when I was.
1.gif

Congrats and thanks again!

Kindest regards always,
Linda
wavey.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is just gorgeous! What a classy looking ring. I also love that you reversed the sapphires and the diamond. (still kept the blue) I love sapphires and diamonds together. Enjoy.

Shay

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
My uncle was a West Point grad and he always wore his wedding band and class ring on the same finger. Says it was a tradition. I met another West Point grad Mike Krzersky (Duke U's basketball coach- can't spell his name) who did the same. It that also a Naval Academy tradition? Just curious.

Your ring looks great by the way.
2.gif

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. It is much appreciated.
1.gif

Sevens One: Best of luck to your daughter. It's definitely a unique and rewarding experience, and one that will be with her forever.

Linda: Sorry it took so long to get those pictures posted
2.gif
, but I'm glad you liked the way it turned out. I really enjoyed working with you and look forward to reading your continued posts here.

Shay37: I really wanted to keep some blue in the ring, and I'm glad the jeweller was able to make it work. I definitely agree that diamonds and sapphires together create a nice contrast.

Pearcrazy: Yes, it is also a Naval Academy tradition, but one that has been fading slowly in recent years. When I do finaly tie the knot, I'll probably switch and start wearing it on my right hand. It'll just take some getting used to.
1.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
My darling Grandfather-in-law always wore his Naval Academy (class of 1940) ring with his wedding band. I adored the look. I love what you've done with your ring. Snuffy's ring had a blue spinel in the center, it's neat that you've kept the blue as part of the look. No matter what the occasion, if a song was sung, my Grandfather would holler "Go Navy!" at the end of the song. Sound familiar?

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/18/2004 4:26:40 AM MrsFrk wrote:

My darling Grandfather-in-law always wore his Naval Academy (class of 1940) ring with his wedding band. I adored the look. I love what you've done with your ring. Snuffy's ring had a blue spinel in the center, it's neat that you've kept the blue as part of the look. No matter what the occasion, if a song was sung, my Grandfather would holler 'Go Navy!' at the end of the song. Sound familiar?----------------

Definitely. After every event, especially Army/Navy sporting events, the band plays the school song, and at the end that's the tradition. Actaually, a lot of the time we say "Beat Army!" instead. There's just a little rivalry there.
2.gif

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
Hi Magnum - I also want to thank you for your service to our country. Your ring is fantastic! Wear it in the best. I'm sure it will stay in your family for generations.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hi Magnum,

I love what you did to your ring -- it looks great in pics and I'm sure is even better in real life. Now you get to play with the light and the colors along with the rest of us!
9.gif

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Nice ring
1.gif

(I, too, went to school in Annapolis, incidentally-- but at the school across the street
2.gif
)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
What an awesome ring! I love it. What an heirloom you have.

The "Before" and "After" pictures are simply amazing. GREAT JOB!
1.gif

Lynn

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!

I don't usually go for diaomnds on a man but that looks absolutely awesome!

well done & anchors aweigh!!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Very nice, Magnum!

69gm

Shiny_Rock
the only problem with this ring is that you will make your fellow graduates of the academy JEALOUS!!!
9.gif

everyone will want one now. PS vendors will need to create a new "academy ring size diamond" category.
naughty.gif
9.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I am soooooo glad my son did not see this before ordering his High School class ring!! He was already after me to trade out the little bitty CZ's in the 00's for diamonds!!
2.gif

Absolutely stunning!!
love.gif

THANK YOU for your service protecting the freedoms our family enjoys!!
appl.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Dave,

Awesome ring...
21.gif

I have a high school ring which I have been wondering what to do with..?

Your tranformation on your NA ring is beautiful...
1.gif
It has given me a couple ideas...
2.gif

Good luck with your plans in the future...
wacko.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results