shape
carat
color
clarity

pics of RING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
PLEASE GO TO THE FOLLOWING LINK... 2ND PAGE.. THANKS!!

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/need-advice-on-these-2-rings-please-help-t10934-30.html

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, man, please get that setting refinished for that graceful rock... those solder marks and scratches have nothing to do with the respective top rock. If this does not make sense, well, I'd rather wear a pebble in a top setting (which I do, by the way). This is not asking for alot of extra cost or another setting, just a little work on this one. After all, this is a mass-produced thing which can be easily improved once the final finish is put in place.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
So don't quite get the comments re setting...

since he states

"first pic of it set... this is actually not the ring I ordered... but it's also from GOG, (they sent me the pics) 3 carat. same setting I asked for... also "I" color..."

Someguy I am sure you will be happy with your ring...can't wait to see pics...let us know what happens

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/6/2003 2:39:48 AM diane5006 wrote:

So don't quite get the comments re setting...

since he states

'first pic of it set... this is actually not the ring I ordered... but it's also from GOG, (they sent me the pics) 3 carat. same setting I asked for... also 'I' color...'

----------------

Oh, I thought he is getting the same type of setting, as said above. The finish of these is quite consistent. That's all.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
hi!!

okay, I didn't quite get it...

Do you mean I should not go with this 4 prong Stuller Bombe Comfort Shank???

I can't really tell, what do you think is wrong with it...

I was also thinking of choosing a ring with 2 diamonds on the side maybe of .30 or .40 each.. the center is 3.05

What do you guys think?

barbug

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Barbug,

The stuller setting is simple, elegant and has nice curves...i think it would be perfect for your 3 carat stone...
wavey.gif

If you like three stone rings I lke some of the styles vatche offers and also some of the new Whiteflash designs..
appl.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
On 12/6/2003 3:46:04 AM barbug wrote:

<>I was also thinking of choosing a ring with 2 diamonds on the side maybe of .30 or .40 each.. the center is 3.05

What do you guys think?

barbug
----------------[/quote]

My 3c is flanked by two baguettes. It tones it down a bit. I think it really depends on your fingers.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The first setting is from Whiteflash and the last 2 pic's are 3-stone rings from the Dvatche Line...
appl.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

wfringdfd.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

dvatche.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

3stonedvatche.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

12/6/2003 3:46:04 AM Barbug wrote: /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Okay, I didn't quite get it... Do you mean I should not go with this 4 prong Stuller Bombe Comfort Shank??? I can't really tell, what do you think is wrong with it... /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Nothing wrong with Stuller. This is a large scale producer who has to please a lot of people, so styles have to be simple and common-sense. Also, there is no room for details and sophisticated finish on an assembly line. I could not say too many bad things about the design of those settings: they are quite bulky (so people are expected to place 1ct or 3ct diamonds in standard size settings) and even for your huge rock I would still prefer less metal in those prongs than Stuller's. But this is not what I was talking about. I love to see nicely finished jewelry: polished prongs, invisible metal joints and untraceable solder. These are rarely found in mass-produced settings and depend on the benevolence of the jeweler to refinish them (polish, filing of prongs especially those tips which should cling the diamond tight, be nicely rounded and small to boot)./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

I am not a fan of Stuller's high-rise mountings with huge, blade-like prongs. Hopefully, a 3ct diamond will overshadow even those, to some extent. Niceice (?) has a CC of the Tiffany setting which got some rave reviews here... I am not particularly smitten with the current Tiffany model (their older, 1920's or so was far closer to my taste) but both the original and the copy offer a pretty good example of what a good ratio of "metal / diamond" highlights the diamond well. The W solitaire of Whiteflash obeys the same philosophy, and, being made with 1ct stones in mind, offers some quite understated support to the stone. Did you ever see Tiffany's engagement ring "tutorial"? It surely is a self-serving piece of advertising (overstating the looks of their stuff and exaggerating the flaws of contenders) but I did get to see (with HOROR, even among PS poster kids) rings just as badly made as that webpage says. I don't know any other online illustration of rings' manufacturing flaws. If you are planning to use a 10X loupe to look into the stone, the setting will show too! How bad can it be? Mara had a thread about scratches on her diamond: those turned to be reflections of scratches on the setting, under the diamond - a less-well made setting can look like that from the start./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Side-stones? Why on earth would that splash of fire of yours need "moral support"? Maybe on the band... That "humble" stone, surely deserves a solitaire of outstanding craftsmanship, and even a simple band will never be too little near it. Just my 0.2... and your $$$, I guess./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

This is what I meant. I hope I did not succeed to be toooo annoying./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

So what? If you go for Stuller, make sure the setter and jeweler give a nice finish to the setting. That huge post was intended to show that buying jewelry (such as the setting) is by no means a less involved process than buying the stone regardless of the lesser amount of money.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Valeria101,

How do you guy copy the words I've written before like that??? Where it says on the top:

something like 12/05/03 Barbug wrote:

......(whatever I wrote)

21.gif

V,

Do you think you can put 2 pics one of a bad "finish" and one of a finish you think is good? Now I'm getting worried about what you're talking about.....
21.gif
I keep looking at the pic of the ring and the setting..

So, you think this ring would look just fine without other stones?

No, you're input is not annoying the in the least bit... I really appreciate it!!

oh, and what are "solder" marks? what do you mean, invisible metal joints and untraceable solder, what are joints and solders? ARe you saying the prongs on the stuller are too wide and it should be more narrow, (less metal) and do you mean there are scratch marks all over the ring, they should polish the surface??? BUt after the ring is worn isn't easy to get scratched again?

Barbug
rolleyes.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Josh..
21.gif

I was looking at the Vatche also... But does their settings accomodate 3 carat centers? I thought they didn't... ??

confused.gif

Barbug

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Barbug:

I have been following your story closely for the past couple of days as I am in the same boat as you are in.

I am thinking about turning my 3 carat RBC into a 3 stone Trilogy Ring. I have tried on several 3 stone rings and my favorite look is the one made by Vatche. To me, the setting is a little on the bulkier side and did not look so great with my eternity band so I would probably wear it as a right hand ring. Also, regarding the size of the side stones, I am thinking of .60 - .75 as anything less looked a little "dwarfed."

I keep changing my mind and am thinking of getting it made in sims just to be sure I want to change my solitaire.

Keep in touch and let us know what you decide.

Roppongi

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Ronppongi,

Thanks... Yeah.. I think you're right .. the side stones need to be bigger... After you pointed it out,.... hmm.. I don't think I'll have money to spend on another 1-2 carat side...

The initial diamond was only going to be a 2 carat. Now it's a 3... and the setting... ohmy....

yeah... let me know what you decide too...

21.gif

Barbug

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/6/2003 1:45:51 PM barbug wrote:

Hi, Josh..
21.gif

I was looking at the Vatche also... But does their settings accomodate 3 carat centers? I thought they didn't... ??

confused.gif

Barbug

----------------

Hi BarBug,

Dvatche will more than likely custom make anything for you in particular style. It might be a bit more than their advertised priced but if you like the style it would be worth inquiring about..

I am sure they do..Just contact a dvatche vendor who carries the line and they can get this info for you...

21.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Great.. Thanks for the info.. I just called one of the stores here ... they're really close.. I think I'm going to go into their store and try the different one's on.

Barbug

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The wedding band i bought for my wifey2b is a stuller setting.
picture

Looking real close at the ring you can see some areas where the polish is a little uneven and even some that look like tiny mold marks.
From 12" they are not visible and aren’t on the top part of the ring.
They are on the side of the shank.
On the finger they are not noticeable at all.
They arent noticable in the picture either.
On a $600 setting id be ticked off to find them but for what I paid for it they do no harm.
The important parts of the ring are very acceptable.
The prongs are a little on the bulky side as seen in the picture but it looks good to me.
A few minutes on the polish wheel would take care of any of the problem areas if they bugged me.
With wear the ring is going to get marks that look much worse.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/6/2003 1:45:51 PM barbug wrote:

Hi, Josh..
21.gif

confused.gif

Barbug
----------------

Yes, they do - as my setting is Vatche. The side baguettes are around .70 total. If you go to the "Show me the Ring" forum & tick the thread that is "I" color stones in Platinum - my ring is the first one. Albeit a bad pic, it will show you the proportions. I choose my setting because of the classic (some would say old fashioned as the setting is the original 3 stone ring) nature.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fire&Ice's 3ct..ring set in Plainum by dvatche...
wavey.gif

fifi.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/6/2003 3:51:33 PM barbug wrote:

Great.. Thanks for the info.. I just called one of the stores here ... they're really close.. I think I'm going to go into their store and try the different one's on.

Barbug
----------------

Hey, Thanks for posting the pic Josh. I'm glad I have all these computer literate friends here.

Barbug - It's a good idea to go to the store. I did; but, I found that they only had settings with smaller stones. I found the translation in my head to a larger version was not easy. The handling of the settings will tell you the style, how high (or in the case w/ Vatche - how low) the stone sits & the quality. The quality felt right to me. The price is really high for what it is though. I'll PM you on that.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I looked at most of the settings - Verragio, Scott Kay, Vatche & even custom for setting my 3 carat center stone. You simpley can not tell from a website. The Vatche 3 stone ring w/ side baguettes was the lowest. My ring sits up approximately 1/4" which is almost the size of the stone. If you don't like the Vatche price or style then I would suggest having someone make the basket to Vatches specifications. In short, my 3 carat center stone could not sit any lower on finger - if that is your goal.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
here is the ring profile on my finger. The culet is almost touching my finger.

Also, one would think that any 3 stone ring other than baguettes would have a high profile simply to accomodate the culets of the other cuts.

lowprofile.jpg

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
What's the total weight or your baguettes???

And what was the total you spent on the setting?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barbug..on your Q about the Stuller, I really like Stuller settings. Some may feel too much metal but I really like my Stuller head. I feel they are pretty basic. And cheap usually.
1.gif
If you don't really know what you want yet, suggest getting a cheapie platinum Stuller and continue to look. Also you noted your Mom will be getting this ring at some point (nice gift!)--maybe she would like to choose her own setting in the future? Just a few thoughts...

Anyway did you see the Octet prong Stuller? I really love that one...it's like their 4 prong but with split prongs, I've seen pictures of it on a 1c stone and it looks really lovely. Kind of a twist on the basic Stuller 4 prong.
1.gif
GOG sells it, if you like it, they can set your stone into it.
1.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Yes,

I thought for her, some diamonds on the side like the baguettes might be approporiate...

If for myself, I think the plain setting is very very lovely...

And I actually like the Stuller's prongs, though they're kinda wide, but I like that look....

Since Christmas is coming up, I don't think I'll have any ring custom made in time, so I'm having it set in the Stuller Solstice at GOG first.

21.gif

Barbug

Carmen

Rough_Rock
wow!!

3 carat!!!

it'll definitely look great with the baguettes on the side.....

but for you mother... the solitaire would be just as beautiful...

it's the simplicity....

Carmen

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/6/2003 1:44:11 PM barbug wrote:

How do you guy copy the words I've written before like that??? Where it says on the top:

something like 12/05/03 Barbug wrote:

......(whatever I wrote)

21.gif

We just hit respond on that particular post, then click quote.
2.gif

Wow! You've got some really great options to consider on the setting. Looks like the set may be harder to choose the diamond!
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results