shape
carat
color
clarity

pics of my princess .58ct w/in

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I''d like to thank all of you who have answered my questions, and the entire forum in general to the fact that this was one of the most important purchases I would have to make in my life, and this is definately the most responsive, informative diamond collective around that helped me make my decision the right one. I''d like to share a few pics of my diamond that I purchased about a month ago from Dirt Cheap Diamonds. Thanks JIM!
Princess .58ct
4.65x4.55x3.14
depth 69.0
table 70
girdle thin to medium
cutlet non
polish good
symmetry very good
clarity vvs2
fluorescence none

Pics are very hard to take. After around 30 I came up with 2 good ones. Any of the ones that showed the great fire were too blurred. Sorry if the size is too big. As far at the ring is concerned, I bought a platinum similar to the x-prong, however it is made by simon G. They are taking their sweet time making it too, and may not be in time for my vacation. I promise lots of pics when it is completed.

Thanks!

Robert O.

pic1_r.jpg

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
pic with some fire

pic5_r.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Robert, that is simply beautiful. You did a GREAT job; I'm sure she'll be delighted!

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Thanks...she's going to be really suprised she has absolutely no idea that I have even been looking. Also the color is a "G" I forgot to mention in my first post.

I really wanted to get the ring completed before vacation but the B&M store I got the setting from wasted a week by not finalizing the order even after I stressed how fast I needed it. That's a B&M store for yas.

Robert O.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That is lovely, I can't wait to see it in a setting!

Leafs

Rough_Rock
Hi Robert,

The diamond looks great. Just a quick question if you don't mind. I am also in the market for a princess cut similar to the one you purchased. I am just wondering the ball park price you paid for the diamond. Also what was the service like from dirt cheap diamonds? I am considering Good Old Gold because of the guarentees that come with a diamond purchase as well as the detailed information provided on each diamond.

Thanks,

Paul

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful. Congratulations!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/7/2003 10:17:39 AM Leafs wrote:
I am considering Good Old Gold because of the guarentees that come with a diamond purchase as well as the detailed information provided on each diamond.

Thanks,

Paul----------------
Paul, GOG is also an excellent choice. Jonathan knows more than the average bear about princess cut dismonds, and I'm sure that would translate to your benefit.

Of particular note....he has the tools to visually evaluate a princess. As you know, it's tougher with fancies to go by the numbers. Added to all the other information he provides, I'm sure you cannot go wrong.

I've also heard great things about DCD, but I'd personally prefer more detailed information than they initially provide.

Either way, I'm sure you will do well.

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all those who have responded. Good news today as I called the place where I ordered the setting and looks like it's going to be ready friday and at the latest monday. If everything goes smoothly the ring should be complete by tuesday. My g/f's birthday is tues and we are leaving wed for vacation with my friend and his g/f to myrtle beach. I haven't decided on how I am going to give her the ring. I couldn't plan anything yet on vacation because I did not know if the ring would be ready. It still might not be if something stupid happens. I'm either going to propose on a romantic night at home or sometime on vacation. Maybe a romantic walk on the beach at night or something....not sure yet. I will definately get some pics up here as soon as I get them.

As for Pauls question, I had orginally found my diamond on DBOF's webpage. When I found out about pricescope, I plugged my diamond in and found the lowest price. I chose DCD's to buy from because they matched the lowest price and gave me free shipping. If at some later date I choose to tradeup my diamond they will however only give me around 70% or so. DBOF would give me 100% but I know I'll never want to tradeup the diamond I get her. A diamond is forever right...I ended up paying $1302 for the diamond. It is worth around $2200/ct and was originally going to buy for around $1700 from DBOF until I found pricescope. After shopping around I found a great platinum lucida style setting by Simon G for $880 from a local store. My advice...plug in 1A-1B numbers into pricescope and go from there. My diamond was listed in the best cut category on DCD's so I had a good feeling. Shop around....my setting at another store was going to cost me $1200. I am under my goal of 2500 bucks and got an original and beautiful piece that is %100 better than anything you'll ever get at a mall store.

Goodluck,
Thanks again everyone,

Robert

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Geshhhh...didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. If you would have read the post, I said the only reason I didn't get it at DBOF is because they didn't offer me free shipping, and although they would give me 100% back in the long run as opposed to DCD's 70some%, I know i'm never going to trade it in, so i saved money on shipping.

DCD didn't even have the lowest price...it was in fact the same as DBOF. USAcerted had the lowest price and DCD matched it and gave me free shipping.

DBOF would have gladly matched the price also. Jan always answered my emails timely and was very helpful. Sorry I dind't remember how much exactly it was being offered for. A few hundred bucks still makes a difference to me.

They are both great places but I chose what was best for me...

sorry,

Rob

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
From my previous post..i dont' mean to start a flame war so lets just let matters stand as they are.

On another note, my Setting came in today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks soooo beautiful and will be set by tomorrow afternoon. Now I have time if I want to give it to my girl for her birthday or on the trip. I'm going to have to rack my brain to come up with something original and romantic. Maybe I could get a private saleboat sunset ride or something down in mytle beach. I'm sure whatever I do she'll love..i just don't know yet!

the countdown begins,

Rob

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rob!!! A *FLAME WAR*? My dear fellow, you have not idea of what you speak! This isn't even a dispute by flashlight! This is a bunch of people who love diamonds and wish you well feeling great for you but having to get in 2 cents apiece, which can add up to a goodly sum when a lot of us are talking!!!

Many congratulations!!!!

1.gif

Deb

aka

Confoozed

Rough_Rock
love.gif
I can't wait to see the ring! Gorgeous rock!
2.gif

Leafs

Rough_Rock
My only concern with DCD and DBOF are there return policies. They list only 7 days. With GOG I am getting a 1 month windows which I am more comfortable with. I am wondering if the return policy is negotiable. Also does DBOF and DCD offer the same detailed reporting that GOG seems to offer? Do they drop ship or do they own their own diamonds and certify each one personally?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/8/2003 12:29:21 PM vandelay101 wrote:
Geshhhh...didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. If you would have read the post, I said the only reason I didn't get it at DBOF is because they didn't offer me free shipping, and although they would give me 100% back in the long run as opposed to DCD's 70some%, I know i'm never going to trade it in, so i saved money on shipping.

DBOF would have gladly matched the price also. Jan always answered my emails timely and was very helpful. Sorry I dind't remember how much exactly it was being offered for. A few hundred bucks still makes a difference to me.

They are both great places but I chose what was best for me...

sorry,

Rob
----------------
Rob, you don't have to apologize for your choices, and I think that you are misinterpreting the intent of the posts. I truly don't think anyone is calling your choice into question; rather, I think they are just trying to bring a bit of accuracy to the table.

You mentioned that a few hundred bucks means a lot to you. Assume that others reading your post feel the same way you do.....a few hundred bucks means a great deal to them. Now assume those people read your post where you said you were originally going to purchase the diamond from DBOF for about $1700, but DCD matched the lowest price of $1302 plus gave free shipping.

Someone else reading that may assume that DBOF's prices are higher than others, and they may not consider DBOF based on that. I think that's the only reason anyone chimed in.....Brad understandably doesn't want a misperception that his prices are so far ahead of others, and he politely noted that their cash price on this diamond was $1417....that's a huge difference from $1700.

It's great that you clarified in your follow-up post that DBOF did offer to match the lowest price, because I read your comments to Paul, it sounded as though ONLY DCD would match the lowest price and give free shipping.

Again, I don't think anyone's trying to question your choices...in this type of venue, it's very important to the vendors that they are represented accurately. It can cost them business if information provided about their pricing gives a false impression that their prices are drastically higher than the rest of the field.

Congratulations on your BEAUTIFUL ring, and your wonderful purchase experience with DCD!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey, aka "The Voice of Reason", strikes again :).

read.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 8/8/2003 4:16:17 PM aljdewey wrote:

"You mentioned that a few hundred bucks means a lot to you. Assume that others reading your post feel the same way you do.....a few hundred bucks means a great deal to them. Now assume those people read your post where you said you were originally going to purchase the diamond from DBOF for about $1700, but DCD matched the lowest price of $1302 plus gave free shipping.

Someone else reading that may assume that DBOF's prices are higher than others, and they may not consider DBOF based on that. I think that's the only reason anyone chimed in.....Brad understandably doesn't want a misperception that his prices are so far ahead of others, and he politely noted that their cash price on this diamond was $1417....that's a huge difference from $1700."

Since you say it is OK to be clear about details, aljdewey, I have another question about a detail. Why didn't Jan and Brad offer free shipping? They used to. The only time they don't is if they must ship it *twice* (or at least that *used* to be their policy).

I asked them to send a spinel for me to view *THEN* I asked them to ship it to me (again) when I decided to buy it. I paid shipping once although my spinel made two trips by air.

I only wish *I* could have accompanied it back and forth to Florida :).

Deb

read.gif

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
AGBF.....

DBOF does offer free shipping unless you return the item. DCD refunds everything.

Paul....

I too was a little concerned with the 7 day return policy. It did not take more than a day to have it looked at by a local jeweler. You just tell the jeweler that you want him to verify the stone matches the cert reasonably well. I don't think it's common to charge for this type of service...mine was free of charge.

DCD offered to fully refund the shipping charges as well if I did not like the diamond. DBOF will not refund the shipping if you decide not to purchase the stone. I figured if I did not like my diamond I picked out at DCD, their policy would allow me to pick and choose other diamonds to look at w/out paying shipping charges more than one. Obviously the diamond you choose to buy you will have to pay the shipping unless they had matched they price from somewhere else. Then you will get free shipping on that particular stone.

DBOF ,unlike DCD, does offer brilliant scope as well as sarin analysis, however you have to pay shipping from the cutters to DBOF to have them look at the stone. Then you have to pay for each type of service. Then you have to pay shipping back to you.

DBOF replied to this post stating,

"just to set the record straight our price on this one stone was listed as follows,and included all of our services"

I don't want this post to mislead you, but this particular diamond did not include the sarin not brilliance scope analysis services. I assume "all of our services" to mean mounting and shipping and so forth, however don't quote me on that.

With the princess cut you can't just go by the numbers, however my stone is the first stone i've seen in the 1A-1B category with my own eyes, since none of the LOCAL stores had anyone close to a 1A-1B in stock, and mine looks 100000times better than any i've seen in a store. I dont' know if I got lucky, but I think it's safe to say if you have something in the 1A-1B category it will probably look very beautiful.

Goodluck,

Robert

DBOF

Rough_Rock
congrats again on your diamond !! enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DBOF ,unlike DCD, does offer brilliant scope as well as sarin analysis, however you have to pay shipping from the cutters to DBOF to have them look at the stone. Then you have to pay for each type of service. Then you have to pay shipping back to you.

DBOF replied to this post stating,

"just to set the record straight our price on this one stone was listed as follows,and included all of our services"

I don't want this post to mislead you, but this particular diamond did not include the sarin not brilliance scope analysis services. I assume "all of our services" to mean mounting and shipping and so forth, however don't quote me on that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again to clarify, we do not and never have charged seperate fees for our services, such as B-scope, sarin, and personally inspecting the diamond before it is even sent out to a customer. Also we do cover the shipping and insurance cost for a purchase, but do Not drop ship from the cutter. We do have several stones in house, but if a stone needs to be brought in, ALL we ask is that the customer agrees to cover the shipping & insurance necessary to bring the stone in, and back to the cutter if they decide after all the info, or inspection period not to purchase. The rest we provide and absorb. The full b-scope alone on this stone is $50 whether I sell it or not.

The shipping and insurance on this stone would have been $38 total if you decided not to get it, and you would have been provided complete info and a seven day inspection period before any charges.

ie: so the total cash price from us for the stone with complete info = $1417.08
or $38 total if you decided against it

Thanks
Brad

loopy.gif

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
just so no one freaks out...i'd like to correct my last post..
1.gif

DBOF ,unlike DCD, does offer brilliant scope as well as sarin analysis, however you have to pay shipping from the cutters to DBOF to have them look at the stone. Then you have to pay for each type of service. Then get free shipping back to you unless you don't like the stone...then you have to pay shipping back to the cutter.

Sorry but I know someone would correct me so I corrected myself
1.gif
Earlier I said after you pay for eac type of service they would charge you shipping to your home.

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Brad at DBOF:

I must have read the email wrong that Jan had sent me when I asked about the Brilliance Scope and Sarin reports...

This is a copy from the email I saved:

Here is the message I sent to Jan...

Jan,

Thanks for your quick response. $38-40 seems very reasonable for shipping, brilliance and sarin reports. I clicked on the blue GIA for all 3 of those diamonds, however the links just pulls up a blank page.

DBOF then replied to the about message with this:

Hi Robert,
I'll have to call the cutters tomorrow when they open and have then scan me over reports.
The $40 is just shipping and insurance back and forth.
It also cost us about $50 per stone to run the brilliancescope which doesn't account for our time and the sarins as well.
That mounting in case you didn't get it in one of my e-mails is $1090 in platinum.

Regards,
Jan at Diamond Brokers of Florida
www.diamondbrokersoffl.com

I really would have liked to see the Sarin and Brilliance but didn't want to pay $50 bucks for each. As I stated earlier a few hundred makes a difference.

Robert O.

DBOF

Rough_Rock
Sorry if you misunderstood, read above to clarify
loopy.gif

Brad

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Brad,

No biggie. I was just set to get the diamond from you guys and emailed Jan saying that's pretty good if I only have to pay 40 bucks for the shipping, sarin and bscope. If Jan didn't respond back with the 40 is only for shipping, we have to pay 50 for the bscope, I probably would have gotten the stone from you guys.

mybad,

Rob

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Brilliance was one of my main concerns about getting a fancy. It would have made me feel better to see the bscope results before I bought the stone, but I figured I had to pay so I didn't get it. With DCD they shipping was free regardless so I felt I couldn't loose. IF it was lifeless I could send it back free. As soon as I saw my diamond however it killed anyone I saw at the local stores. It sparkles soo much, I would love to see how the bscope rated it. Like I said earlier, either I was extremely lucky on my first try or the AGA 1a-1b numbers are right on target....i'd go with AGA!

Rob

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
While perhaps I can understand clearing up a misunderstanding, IMHO, it is completely inappropriate to continue a conversation when Rob has purchased & is about to happily become engaged. The deal is done. Harping on one vendor or another after the fact is in poor taste.

Congratulations to you Rob & Best wishes to your future fiancee. We want details of the proposal!

vandelay101

Rough_Rock
Thanks Fire&Ice, I agree with you completely. Goodnews!!!!....my setting is in and is being mounted as we speak!! I cannot wait to look how it turns out and I promise to get pics up here hopefully by tonight. My g/f is working till 9pm so that will give me a few hours to stare at it!!!!

Can't wait,

Robert

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 8/9/2003 9
6.gif
6:29 AM fire&ice wrote:

"While perhaps I can understand clearing up a misunderstanding, IMHO, it is completely inappropriate to continue a conversation when Rob has purchased & is about to happily become engaged. The deal is done. Harping on one vendor or another after the fact is in poor taste."

In my opinion Rob was the only one who seemed to feel the need to aplogize. (And it was, of course, completely unnecessary.)

I think DBOF (and I) simply wanted the correct facts to come out. In other words to clear up the misunderstanding. As aljdewey said, that is what this forum is about. I think it is a *disservice* to consumers to allow misconceptions about what services are offered to remain obscure. I disagree that clarifying facts is in bad taste.

read.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Congrats,I'm glad to hear your so satisfied with it, thats great, Can't wait to see it in the setting!
-Kitten

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/9/2003 11:20:56 AM AGBF wrote:

As aljdewey said, that is what this forum is about. I disagree that clarifying facts is in bad taste.

read.gif

----------------

Al stuck to the facts at hand.

Again, Rob, Congrats & glad your setting arrived on time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results