shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics & Appraisal question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stags14

Rough_Rock
The new e-ring arrives today from WhiteFlash.
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 1.18
. Depth %: 61.5
. Table %: 57
. Crown Angle: 35
. Crown %: 15
. Star : 55
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 75
. Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 6.77-6.79X4.17
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Very Good
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

I have an appraisal scheduled with a local GG tonight. I spoke with this GG and they offered 2 types of appraisals.

1) I bring in the ring and the GIA cert and the GG will make sure that the ring is the same stone indicated by the cert. The GG will also provide paperwork for insurance. This is much less expensive than option 2.

2) Bring in the ring and the cert but do not show the cert to the GG. The GG will perform a complete analysis and appraisal of the stone. After they are done, then we will compare the GG''s results to the cert and discuss the findings. As this will take substantially more time, the cost is much higher.

I am mainly interested in a simple verification that the stone that I have is the one that I paid for. I would like to hear some thoughts on whether it would be worth it to have the full-scale appraisal?????

Thanks,

Stags

LS1.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can take the less costly route and probably rely on the vendor to have provided the right diamond. You can take the more costly route and find out if the appraiser is a really good one and take advantage of this on every future purchase, by using the less costly route later on.

It is a good opportunity to put the appraiser to the test. We sort of enjoy the challenge and occasionally we get the grade exactly right in the yes of the client. It is entertaining, but it is more difficult to do than a verification appraisal. The cost differential is justified by the time element difference.

Let us know how it comes out and which way you decided to go.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 8:26:18 AM
Author:stags14

1) I bring in the ring and the GIA cert and the GG will make sure that the ring is the same stone indicated by the cert. The GG will also provide paperwork for insurance. This is much less expensive than option 2.
this is something you can do yourself with a loupe if the stone is at least vs2 and i would certainly give it a try before shelling out the $$$ for someone to make a simple verification (that''s just me). it can be pretty easy to match up inclusions on a plot. you can also go to a jewelry store and have a look under the microscope if are having trouble spotting the inclusions with only a loupe. also, wf sends a letter of verification with an appraisal amount listed that is sufficient for insurance purposes.

Date: 12/13/2006 8:26:18 AM
Author:stags14

2) Bring in the ring and the cert but do not show the cert to the GG. The GG will perform a complete analysis and appraisal of the stone. After they are done, then we will compare the GG''s results to the cert and discuss the findings. As this will take substantially more time, the cost is much higher.
if you are going to go to this extent, please, please (please!) make sure that you go to an independant appraiser. this kind of ''anaylisis and appraisal'' needs to be done by someone who is independent and not associated with any jewelry establishment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results